GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,307
0 members and 1,307 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Radford: Probation for Hazing (Sigma Chi)

The Sigma Chi chapter at Radford has reportedly been put on probation for 32 weeks for hazing. See the article for more on the alleged incidents or activities:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...lines-virginia

And this article includes the text of Radford's announcement, whic described the terms of the probation:

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellit...news!localnews

Last edited by exlurker; 03-23-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got notice from a source and what a shame they do this!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI: IHQ has been working with Radford since mid February regarding Kappa Zeta chapter.

Kappa Zeta at Radford University Examined

Evanston, Ill. – The Sigma Chi International Fraternity disclosed today [March 1, 2007] that it has been working closely with Radford University officials and the Kappa Zeta chapter of Sigma Chi for the past two weeks to examine recent allegations of hazing by a previously affiliated pledge. The chapter proactively reached out to university officials in mid-February to ensure that their actions and traditions were in line with university and Sigma Chi policies. As a standard precautionary measure, the university placed the chapter on temporary suspension of chapter activities while further research was conducted.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you TSteven! Sigma Chi IHQ also recently provided a response to a local TV station, indicating that the fraternity's investigation was proceeding:

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellit...news!localnews
Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

wow
Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sure many things are blown out of proportion via the media and is perceived much worse than really is was or can be!

I have a great respect SX as I do for all GLOs and if there are some who do not follow the rules then they should be investigated and delt with.

It only hurts the GLO!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Question about Radford

Is the Sigma Nu Chapter still active?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, got caught hazing in '03.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Doesn't Radford have a History of being hard on Greeks?

This seems to be a trend for them.

Not sure, fill me in.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Radford History

I went on a little road trip there in 2002 and the whole environment right of campus seemed very "animal house", fraternity and non-fraternity.

The streets right off campus seemed to all be rented to students and just a roaming party from one house to another. Even the sororities seemed pretty rough around the edges. When to a Sigma Kappa Sorority keg party and BT's Bar. Had I pretty good time except it was freeze cold with a foot of snow and ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

Not sure, fill me in.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

Not sure, fill me in.
yeah they blame us for everything

greek life was started for students to escape the faculty.

They are cracking down on everyone now though, because they are trying to be, as one admin type put it "the harvard of the south"

I laughed so hard when I heard that.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by be69chevy View Post
I went on a little road trip there in 2002 and the whole environment right of campus seemed very "animal house", fraternity and non-fraternity.

The streets right off campus seemed to all be rented to students and just a roaming party from one house to another. Even the sororities seemed pretty rough around the edges. When to a Sigma Kappa Sorority keg party and BT's Bar. Had I pretty good time except it was freeze cold with a foot of snow and ice.
Yeah pretty much how it was but not now. Fraterties can no longer charge money for entrance to parties. That is good in someways, bad in others.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a really bad history of the school being hard on greeks. It took almost three years to bring back the Phi Sigma Kappa chapter which was the first fraternity on campus. Everything seems to get blamed on the greeks even though they are 10 percent of the students.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSKPike View Post
There is a really bad history of the school being hard on greeks. It took almost three years to bring back the Phi Sigma Kappa chapter which was the first fraternity on campus. Everything seems to get blamed on the greeks even though they are 10 percent of the students.
this is true, PSK got screwed off campus and i have no idea why they wouldn't let them back on immeditatly. However, let's not forget, it was IFC that voted off PiKap, because admin told them too. Seriously, though does IFC even do anything anymore?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
this is true, PSK got screwed off campus and i have no idea why they wouldn't let them back on immeditatly. However, let's not forget, it was IFC that voted off PiKap, because admin told them too. Seriously, though does IFC even do anything anymore?

The Greek Life director told us the university wanted to wait 5 years after the close of our chapter before they would consider reopening us. That way all of the old brothers would have graduated or left. We ended up being an off campus group for almost two years. Our nationals really went to bat for us and finally got us back on campus as a colony in fall 05, and we formally rechartered and initiated 29 new brothers feb 07.

Also with the IFC, yea they try to do alot, and have a fair amount of control. Sigma Chi has actually been runninh IFC the last few years. The last president of IFC was Sigma Chi, and so was one of the vice presidents. Right now there are three Sig Chi's on IFC. Im not sure how I feel about the whole thing, I am not sure if this was really a hazing issues, or more or less just a bad situation. All things said they are the biggest fraternity on campus, and I think they are getting off with the best possible outcome. As far as I know they can still take pledges and be a part of IFC, and all on campus events. I mean it was not that long ago (2003) when Sigma Nu got the boot for hazing, but that was a "real" case of hazing, much different than this.