GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,480
2 members and 1,478 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 01-09-2001, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Just FYI-

Last week, SAE at Ohio state had its charter revoked. Reasons given have been pretty vague, but basically it seems to be due to too many infractions of the alcohol policy and other rules. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

They'll be able to return to campus in a few years, and are still living in the chapter house.

Old 01-10-2001, 10:36 PM
Unregistered-

Unhappy

It's unfortunate that the chapter closed. In 1998 the chapter at my school closed because they were having a problem meeting their rush quota and then eventually no one wanted to join.

As for the Ohio State chapter, for whatever reasons it closed, the problem lies at the chapter level...and I hope that no one uses this to think that all SAEs are like this.

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 01-11-2001, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
It's unfortunate that the chapter closed. In 1998 the chapter at my school closed because they were having a problem meeting their rush quota and then eventually no one wanted to join.

As for the Ohio State chapter, for whatever reasons it closed, the problem lies at the chapter level...and I hope that no one uses this to think that all SAEs are like this.

Ohio state seems to be having a lot of closures lately.

Makes you wonder whether they have had a change in policy or administration.

Anyone know?
Old 01-11-2001, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I dont know about Iowa State but the SAE's at UT Austin (lONGHORNS) accidently burnt their house down on Christmas Formals this Year. It was only their kitchen and Library I think but the damages will cost 6 million dollares.
Old 01-11-2001, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

to reply to James' question, yes we have had a big policy change here at OSU. We have a new alcohol policy that went into effect fall quarter which basically bans parties at fraternity houses unless they are dry. Also, OSU is implementing a Greek Life Task Force, which will also be a big policy change for many chapters. We also have gotten a new university president within the last few years, which has also effected greek life.

also, i dont want anyone to think i was bashing SAE's by posting this info. Every chapter is different, i just thought i'd let everyone know the latest news here from OSU.
Old 01-11-2001, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

XO Girl et al,

That's pretty interesting because I think that the President at Ohio State is a Delt. (This is the presdient who came from Maryland when Gordon Gee retired, right?)

I DO NOT want to open another thread on "dry" housing, but I'm afraid more and more universities and nationals will be heading in the same direction as OSU because of liability insurance issues and public pressure.

Many, if not most, of the school were we colonize or recolonize these days DEMAND dry housing as a requirement for coming on their campus.

It's too bad, and Greeks aren't entirely to blame, but we're not totally innocent either, are we?

DeltAlum
Old 01-11-2001, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum:

That's pretty interesting because I think that the President at Ohio State is a Delt. (This is the presdient who came from Maryland when Gordon Gee retired, right?)
Wasn't Gee pretty pro-Greek (that is, before he began his wonderful campaign of "campus hopping"? At my school (which he stayed for two years before going to Vanderbilt), he gained a lot of criticism for being so pro-Greek. Was it like this at OSU, too?
Old 01-11-2001, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

AXGirl...

I'm not really sure. I met Gee a few times when he was at the University of Colorado at Boulder before he went to Columbus.

I'm pretty sure that it was after the Gee administration that we closed our chapter there for the third -- and possibly final time. That was a real tragedy since the Colorado Delts (Beta Kappa Chapter) had a long and great tradition and a really nearly unbelievable shelter which local alums had put well over $1 million into renovating. It was recently sold to the university. The letters are still there in stone over the door and in steel in the sidewalk in front. Whenever I walk by it make me furious -- how could those bozos screw something that good up that badly?

Chapter alums include university presidents, U.S. Senators, Astronauts and other highly accomplished men.

Guess why we closed it? Yup. Alcohol and drugs. And damage to the House. Does this sound familiar?

DeltAlum

[This message has been edited by DeltAlum (edited January 11, 2001).]