Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,596
4 members and 1,592 guests
chi-o_cat, UVASquirrel, willTic, Zach

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb New Position, Any Suggestions?

Hey guys,

I just got the positions for philanthropy and fundraising chairs and I was hoping that my fellow greeks will help me out.

I have been reading practically the same post over and over again. Either its people asking for help and getting the same responses (like info to sell candles, candy, bake sales...etc.) but I was hoping to find some out of the box ideas.

No matter if you have done them, if they have worked or not, I am hoping to get some "out of the box" fundraising ideas.

Please dont flood my post with your company's info and how I can contact you about selling magazines or credit cards (I have found these are not that easy, and usually come back with little or no profit.)

So, please help a sister in need!

Thank You
Tau Love,
Nicole
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

As we all know, fraternities and sororities are always looking at holding fundraisers not only for community service and philanthropy, but also for chapter funds to host socials and other events. The traditional methods of fundraising generally leave much to be desired. Selling candy or holding car washes generate very little for the amount of work put in. Holding raffles require special permission and can be really slow. Plus everyone has been there and done that and those ideas do not differentiate you from the crowd.

We have a fundraising idea that offers something different - the opportunity to generate thousands of dollars in funds and create buzz and awareness. Not only is the proposal a great fit with the college demographic, but it’s guaranteed to draw attention to your cause or event and to differentiate your organization from all others, making your chapter stand out

The idea is simple. Take an existing everyday product that everyone needs; add a new twist to it, so that it creates a buzz. Then use the attention to help draw attention to a cause and raise funds. We’ve created the product with a twist, now all you have to do is promote it and use it to help with your fundraising.

The product we have is the ergonomic and anatomically correct mousepad. Its unique design is guaranteed to draw attention and generate exposure for your group.

PTJ Trading Company can help your chapter design and produce your own version of the specialty mousepad. Customize the pad however you like, then sell them to generate funds for your chapter. PTJ will even offer to buy back unsold pads with certain orders as part of our Buy Back Program. This essentially allows your chapter to run a no-risk fundraising program which can only make money.

You can visit us at www.slicknicky.com/fundraise/PTJ_Greek.pdf for more information and contact info or review the attached PDF file. Thanks and we look forward to working with you.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Last holiday season, my chapter set up a station in Lord & Taylor to gift wrap for the three weekends before Christmas. Lord & Taylor gave us all the gift wrap, boxes and bows we could want, made a really elegant sign for us, and helped us make flyers to pass out to shoppers at all the registers in the store, so people would know that we were gift wrapping. I don't remember if we charged for it, or accepted donations, but I know that people would walk by and give us money, even if we weren't wrapping something for them. We also had lots of pictures set up for Make A Wish, and had flyers for those interested in how to get more involved with the foundation.

I'll have to double check on the exact amount, but I feel like we raised approx. $400 a day doing it...definitely a success. It might be a little late in the season to start that now, but keep it in mind for next year! We just sent letters to lots of companies asking for their support in teaming up with us, and got really lucky that L&T agreed!

PM me if you have any more questions, I was one of the coordinators for it for our chapter
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Cardinal, but yeah, its too late.

I was thinking for of things for the spring semester...any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds corny, but College kids like late snaks no matter what! They order and You deliver?

Good luck!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlauren View Post
Hey guys,

I just got the positions for philanthropy and fundraising chairs and I was hoping that my fellow greeks will help me out.

I have been reading practically the same post over and over again. Either its people asking for help and getting the same responses (like info to sell candles, candy, bake sales...etc.) but I was hoping to find some out of the box ideas.

No matter if you have done them, if they have worked or not, I am hoping to get some "out of the box" fundraising ideas.

Please dont flood my post with your company's info and how I can contact you about selling magazines or credit cards (I have found these are not that easy, and usually come back with little or no profit.)
Are you trying to raise money for your philanthropy or for your chapter?

Each GLO at my school does something different to raise money for our individual philanthropies. (Pool Tournaments, Skeet Shooting, Riding the bull, Golfing...) The GLO holds these events and gets local stores to sponsor their tshirts or signs. All the other GLOs participate in this philanthropy with teams. Normally it's $25 a team to participate and $5 to watch your GLO participate. All the money goes to the philanthropy. These events normally raise thousands and are really a lot of fun to watch and participate in!

Last edited by ufdale; 12-10-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

My fraternity and I do concessions at Gator Football Games.

A bunch of us will be heading to Miami in february to do concessions for the superbowl.

We average around $1500 a game with 20 brothers helping out.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

fundrasing

i dont know where your college is, but I'm from buffalo and its cold...all the time. lol. we were gonna set up a hot chocolate station. everyone loves it, and it'll be cheaper than getting it from campus places. so it'll be in our favor.

AOZ
Old 12-17-2006, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I have come across one

Send me a PM and I will be happy to explain it. No cost and it get's the alumni involved without being intrusive.
"We Are Marshall"
Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Thumbs up

Hey, sis! We've made and sold mini sub sandwiches to the evening students before... big hit! Many of them are all coming off work with no time for dinner, so when they got to the commuter lounge to buy a bag of chips, they were really excited about the sandwiches.

You could sell cookies there too.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
You could also sell val-o-grams for Valentine's Day! Sell them in the cafeteria with candy and deliver to the dorms. Haven't done that, but it has potential.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Sister!

Finally, an AST who actually talks in the forums. I thought I was the only one!

Right now Im thinking of candygrams on valentines day, and selling pieces of pie on "Pi" day "3.14 = March 14th"

We are also gonna do a jail and bail.

Im still looking for more ideas, since I plan on having many events each month to get our name out there to the campus and community.

BTW, UFDALE, I instituted a new idea where all of our fundraisiers were 50/50 - meaning 50% to our chapter, 50% to a philanthropy.

Tau Love,
Nicole