Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Alpha exhibit traces 1st black fraternity

Article from today's Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2006/09/18/0919metalpha.html

By By ERNIE SUGGS
Published on: 09/19/06
One hundred years ago, on the cold campus of Cornell University, seven black students looking for social and academic support in a racially hostile environment started Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.

Those "Seven Jewels" as they are called, created a foundation for a fraternity that now has more than 700 college and graduate chapters and over 175,000 living members, including Andrew Young, John Hope Franklin, Cornell West and Dick Gregory.

The roster of former members is even more impressive: Duke Ellington, W.E.B. DuBois, Thurgood Marshall, Paul Robeson, Jesse Owens, Adam Clayton Powell, Maynard Jackson, and the man who casts the biggest shadow of them all, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Starting today, the full history of the fraternity — the first black Greek letter organization — will be on display at the Robert W. Woodruff Library on the campus of the Atlanta University Center.

Per the article, it is on display through November 3rd. I am not sure if this is the same exhibit as the Cornell archives online thread/traveling exhibit similar to the AKA traveling exhibit.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

The exhabit is outstanding. If you are able, please don't miss out!!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06pilot
Is this the same exhibit that was at the Centennial Convention n the hotel? Somehow I missed seeing it and I kick myself for it. I live in ATL right down the street from the AUC so I am hoping this is it so I can see it
Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

It is the same exhabit.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Co-Sign!

The exhibit is amazing! Check it out if you can. I was so proud!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
Article from today's Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2006/09/18/0919metalpha.html

By By ERNIE SUGGS
Published on: 09/19/06
One hundred years ago, on the cold campus of Cornell University, seven black students looking for social and academic support in a racially hostile environment started Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.

Those "Seven Jewels" as they are called, created a foundation for a fraternity that now has more than 700 college and graduate chapters and over 175,000 living members, including Andrew Young, John Hope Franklin, Cornell West and Dick Gregory.

The roster of former members is even more impressive: Duke Ellington, W.E.B. DuBois, Thurgood Marshall, Paul Robeson, Jesse Owens, Adam Clayton Powell, Maynard Jackson, and the man who casts the biggest shadow of them all, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Starting today, the full history of the fraternity — the first black Greek letter organization — will be on display at the Robert W. Woodruff Library on the campus of the Atlanta University Center.

Per the article, it is on display through November 3rd. I am not sure if this is the same exhibit as the Cornell archives online thread/traveling exhibit similar to the AKA traveling exhibit.
Good article. Congrads on 100 years of progress!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post

Oops, nobody addressed this......the Cornell exhibit is different from the Skip Mason exhibit.

As Professor already clarified, THIS exhibit is indeed the same one from convention.