Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,497
4 members and 1,493 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig, MSKKG, TLLK

Old 01-03-2001, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Big Sis/Little Sis or Mom & Daughters

When I was at school - we did the mom / daughter thing and a couple years after I graduated- Nationals changed it to Big Sister / Little Sister. Does anyone know why that happened and which do you like better?
Old 01-03-2001, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by ISU_XO:
When I was at school - we did the mom / daughter thing and a couple years after I graduated- Nationals changed it to Big Sister / Little Sister. Does anyone know why that happened and which do you like better?

Well, I don't know why it was changed but... I like big/lil better than mother/ daughter. Just a personal opinion here. Anyone else????
Old 01-03-2001, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school we do Big Sis/Little Sis! The only thing I dislike is that what do you call your Big Sis's Big Sis? LOL! We call them Grandmas, but that doesn't really make sense. I would prefer Mother/Daughter just to make sense of the whole family tree thing!
Old 01-04-2001, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
Instead of grandma, we call our big's big sister's grandbig..same idea..
Old 01-04-2001, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hootie--

We do the same thing in my chapter as xok85xo does. As the family tree goes up, there are bigs, grand bigs, great grand bigs, great great grand bigs.... you get the idea. It can get a little confusing at times but I think that would happen with any termonology that gets used!

Just my $.02
Old 01-04-2001, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
This is my first year an a GLO, what's the difference?
During pledgeship- you will get a "Big Sis". For me, I got a "mom" who was someone who helped me not only through the pledgeship but all the time. I'm sure it is the same concept. She is the one who gets you your first crest and a paddle (NOT FOR HAZING - just for memory keepsake)When I first got my bid- I got an "owl pal" - same thing- someone to help you until you get your big sis. I heard that it changed when everything became really "PC"- like you can't call them rushees anymore- now it is perspective members and I don't think you can be called a pledge anymore either- does anyone know?

Last edited by HeidiHo; 03-28-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2001, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

We can no longer call our ceremony "Pillow Paddle". People are to concerned with hazing issues so since we follow the laws, we now call it "Pillow Plaque". We still decorate wooden cutting boards though.

You are correct ISU_XO! Most of the chapters have amended their constitutions to change the verbage from "Rushie" and "RUSH" to either NEW MEMBER or RECRUITMENT. We are having a hard time trying to remember it because we're all so used to saying pledge. We used to only call the girls "New member" when they initiated. So now we're going to have to call them New Initiates I suppose.

Did anyone ever participate in Pledge Skip? The pledge class after mine (99) was the last one to do it. I think our advisors did away with it. Just curious to know what you all did!

[This message has been edited by Hootie (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-2001, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So your "grandmother" got another little sis-would that be your Aunt? Isn't it confusing but I love a big family so it is cool! That is why I liked the mom/daughter thing because it was easier to determine family members.

Hootie-what is a pledge skip? I know we put on a skit for the actives at the carnation ball - is it like that or a retreat?

I love hearing about what other chapters do-was everyone's staple songs- Pass it on and Shades of Evening?

Last edited by HeidiHo; 03-28-2002 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2001, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Well first off, we don't have houses at my school. So we have meeting in the student center in their meeting rooms. Usually the new members and the GM will meet around 5:30 on Monday nights. Well on pledge skip the actives will usually get up to meeting and realize around 6:30 that the new members are "missing" but have left a clue as to how to find them. In the past it was so much fun because the actives would try to be sneeky and call the new members and pretend to be someone else wondering where pledge skip was.
Another fun thing we do is Date Dash. Our social chair will stand up in the middle of inactive meeting and yell "DATE DASH" and everyone will get directions to where it is being held. Then immediately after meeting we scurry to find dates. That's usually a lot of fun too. Nothing too big...usually put-put golf, a haunted house or movie.
Anyone else do something fun?!?!?
Old 01-05-2001, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

We use a few different songs for the ceremony. Has anyone heard of Mmm Mmm My Sisters? Goes something like this:
CHORUS:
Mmm Mmm my sisters, Mmm Mmm my sisters
Couldn't get along without you now
Got along without you before I met you, but I sure couldn't do it now.

Came to college just to find, a group of girls that were my kind.
Now I know I've found the best, because Chi Omega is above the rest.
Repeat chorus
Then:
Chi-O til the end
We will defend
Repeat chorus and then end.
Old 01-06-2001, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Hootie
I love your chapter! What fun ideas!

When I went back for a reunion of XO's - the actives sang us the song you mentioned- it is really cute!
Old 01-11-2001, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

At Sam our trees are complicated...

Big/Little
Bigger (your big's big)/Littler (your little's little)
GrandBig/GrandLittle