GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,298
1 members and 1,297 guests
60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Post "Million Father March" Asks Dads To March Their Kids To School

"Million Father March" asks dads to march their kids to school

Chicago's Black Star Project launched a nationwide event called the "Million Father March" that encourages African-American fathers, grandfathers, stepfathers and foster fathers to "march" their kids to their first day of school to demonstrate their commitment to education and their kids' futures.

Even though the "Million Father March" is based in the Windy City, it will take place all over the country. Almost 50 cities are on board with the project, including Milwaukee.

Local organizers Phillip Bridges and Todd Pierce hope to see thousands of dads escourting their kids to class on the first day of school. Milwaukee Public Schools start Tuesday, Sept. 5.

"Research has shown that when a father takes an active role in the educational and social development of a child, the child earns better grades, gets better test scores, enjoys school more and is more likely to graduate high school and attend college," says Bridges.

In Milwaukee, only 24 percent of African-American males graduate from high school, and 54 percent are unemployed. Also, it's speculated that by 2007 the incarceration rate of black men in Milwaukee will be over 65 percent.

Dads can formally register on the internet to be a part of the march -- and to receive information to share with employers that explains the march. Event organizers ask local employers to give participating dads the time off they need to participate in the march, and to compensate them during their brief leave if possible.

The Black Star Project hopes the "Million Father March" will inspire dads to stay committed to their kids' education for the entire 2006-'07 school year. The project also encourages dads to set personal goals for themselves for the year, and to acquire more education so they can better support their families financially and emotionally.

"This is a march, but not a march to Washington D.C. This is a march from your home to your child's school to show solidarity in educating our kids so that they can also have a chance to accomplish their dreams," says Bridges.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely brilliant. There should be more stuff like this.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Absolutely brilliant. There should be more stuff like this.
Agreed. My dad was ALWAYS a part of my education, and I'm grateful for that.