GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,401
1 members and 1,400 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Would someone help your child?

Very dishearting....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.cdn...splaymode/1157

I will say however it was great to see the guys gang up on him at the end.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
I saw this on another program and it was disturbing. I often tell my son if a stranger approaches scream for help and run. To think that adults won't stop and help is amazing.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I have most definitely walked up to a screaming child and adult(s) and asked the child directly, "Are you ok?" It's never been an abduction and the children are often embarrassed to have attracted that much attention.

The parents do get angry (because they're embarrassed I'm sure) until I explain to them why I do it. Then, USUALLY, they're ok.

I don't do it with every screaming child, by any means. But, when something doesn't seem right, I check.

I would really encourage everyone to do this (as long as your own safety isn't in jeopardy!!) I reserve 911 calls for serious emergencies.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

That's an unbelievable video. Can you imagine if this poor kid was ACTUALLY being abducted? I dont know ... me myself, i never usually stop when an adult and child are arguing, but then again, knock on wood, ive never seen someone physically abusing their kid like that either. I think that if I saw something like that going on, then yes, i'd stop and just make sure everything was ok .. especially if the kid is BLATANTLY screaming he's not my daddy. And like the mother said, people are just scared. and its too bad. I would seriously hope that someone would stop and say something if this was my child. it's really very sad.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Being a mom, I usually pay attention when a kids acts up or is screaming just to see what the issue is. It's sad to see people not helping a child.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXi1257 View Post
Being a mom, I usually pay attention when a kids acts up or is screaming just to see what the issue is. It's sad to see people not helping a child.
Although I'm not a mother, I do this too. If it's serious enough, call 911.

FYI, the link to the video still works.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I studied this phenomenon (bystander intervention) in social psych.

The main issue is not that people are scared of being hurt, or even diffusion of responsibililty ("Someone else will help."), but that they are afraid of being wrong in front of other people. If someone needs help and the bystander is alone, (s)he will be much more likely to help than if others are watching. Also people are totally unaware of the effect when it is happening. It's easy to say "If that had been me I would've definitely done something", but the behavior is VERY consistent among the studies done, and the only group that seems immune is children. The only real way to fight it is to become aware of it.

ETA: If you ever need someone to intervene for you and you're among a crowd, the most effective thing to do is to look one person in the eye and ask him or her specifically to help you.

Last edited by laylo; 02-20-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

singling out one person is taught in cpr classes too. if you are administering cpr, you are taught to look at one particular person and tell them to call 911 for an ambulance. if a question is thrown out to a crowd, everyone assumes that someone else will take care of it.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
singling out one person is taught in cpr classes too. if you are administering cpr, you are taught to look at one particular person and tell them to call 911 for an ambulance. if a question is thrown out to a crowd, everyone assumes that someone else will take care of it.

YES. I took a basic CPR class and learned the same thing. Some weeks after my class, there was a big car accident in a busy intersection right out in front of my house. Luckily, I didn't need to use CPR or anything; but, it was a pretty good smash up. I was first on the scene and immediately went to check on the driver. Others ran out into the street; but, just kind of stood around looking like they didn't know what to do. So, I pointed at one man and said, "YOU. You call 911 and tell them there's an accident at 4th and Ximeno." I pointed at another man and said, "YOU. You stand there in the intersection and help direct traffic around the accident." And another, "YOU. You stand there and signal the ambulance when it arrives."

Worked like a charm.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
cutiepatootie

After that i am more fearful for being a mother. I pray everyday to not have to endure what those poor grieving parents that have had kids abducted been through or go through. I have a 7 yr old and i tell him everyday, more like i drill him everyday, about safety and what to do and how to do it. For someone not to stop and help scares me. I am more likely to do what someone else said above: i stop and observe the situation. if it is actually a child having a temper tantrum or something serious wrong.... then you take action. You can be in a store hear a kid scream and know 1. if it is a temper tantrum and not getting their way or 2. something serious wrong. We as moms know the cries and screams and how to gauge them.

I just make sure i stick to my son like glue. He is never out of my sight nor is he ever out of sight with my parents nor my ex-husband or his parents sight. my next door neighbors onthe other hand scare me. There son is a yr younger then mine and 2 yrs ago he was wandering around the development on his bike and his mother and father and siblings were inthe house without care in the world. These
are the ones who SHOULD worry.