Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,343
0 members and 1,343 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

What's happening to boys? Young men living at home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...033001398.html

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's interesting; in my own circle of friends (from high school and college), there were quite a few who ended up back at their parents. It wasn't a high percentage (probably around 10%), but higher than I thought it would be. I didn't realize there was actual research being done on the subject.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This is quite the norm in Canada - at least in the major cities. Not so much moving back home, but actually living at home until your mid to late twenties. Both males and females. Maybe in Vancouver it has something to do with the fact that the average price of a home is roughly $500,000...

Last edited by bcdphie; 04-04-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcdphie
This is quite the norm in Canada - at least in the major cities. Not so much moving back home, but actually living at home until your mid to late twenties. Both males and females. Maybe in Vancouver it has something to do with the fact that the average price of a home is roughly $500,000...

I think in places like Vancouver and Toronto, you have lots of "kids" who are first generation Canadians. In more traditional cultures, one usually lives at home until marriage. Since people in cities marry later in life, they're going to live at home longer!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a lot of people who went back home after graduation. For most of them, however, it was their desire to stay close to home and their families. They would major in engineering/biology/etc., but arn't able to find jobs in W.Va. So they go to the mines or the chemical factories, and never leave. Also, a lot of people just arn't able to afford moving out on their own. I'm going to have about $40,000 in loans when I graduate (add $100,000 if I go to law school), and while I have no deisre to go back home, I may have no other choice.

I should also mention my older sister, who majored in art, moved back home because she couldn't find a job, and now works for a call center. She's really hoping to get a job at A.C. Moore. My parents are rather upset with spending money to send her to school for five years, only to have her make minimum wage.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
I think in places like Vancouver and Toronto, you have lots of "kids" who are first generation Canadians. In more traditional cultures, one usually lives at home until marriage. Since people in cities marry later in life, they're going to live at home longer!
I think cultural differences probably do play a part in why kids are living at home longer. I really do agree with bcdphie that the cost of living in cities like Vancouver and Toronto make it extremly hard for them to live on their own.

I'll admit, I'm currently living at home with my parents. I am in school full time (graduating in April), and I'm 25. There was no way in hell that I could afford to pay for school and live in Toronto on my own. It's just too expensive here.

Now I have a job starting in may and with any luck I should be able to move out in the fall. However, I'll be moving in with my boyfriend because on the salary I'll be making it would be too much of a stuggle to do it on my own.

Granted, there are people that are living on minimum wage here and are mananging to put a roof over their head and food in their stomachs, but I would venture to guess that most of them are doing with the help of some kind of social assistance, whether it be that they are living in Ontario Housing or using the food bank to get food. But it's not much of a life. Even students in this city have to use the food bank because they can't always afford to feed themselves.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

The problem started a long time again when everyone would complain when a man would show tough love in raising his son. We are now in an era of the Pu***fication of men, thanks to a lot of women and state agencies we have succeeded in turning men into full blown punks.

Last edited by AXEAM; 04-05-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

You guys should watch a movie called Baby Boy.

-Rudey
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes. Those damn women are always to blame. Perhaps, men should take responsibility for themselves and stop making excuses for the ones who act like losers... Or, even better, men could stop blaming women for the troubles in the world.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
I think I would kill myself if after spending four years in college and getting a degree my only choice was to move back home.

I love my parents, but there is no way I want to be dependant on them after I should already be grown up and on my own. I don't see how anyone-employeers, girlfriends, friends, etc can take someone seriously if they live at home with their parents without dire circumstances.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it part of the Me Generation or is the Economy just so bad?

Hell, if You live under parents roof, You are still their little one and treat You like it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coramoor
I think I would kill myself if after spending four years in college and getting a degree my only choice was to move back home.

I love my parents, but there is no way I want to be dependant on them after I should already be grown up and on my own. I don't see how anyone-employeers, girlfriends, friends, etc can take someone seriously if they live at home with their parents without dire circumstances.
Yeah, I feel the same way.

I think it comes down to traditional vs. non-traditional upbringings. The guys I grew up with--none of this would happen. They were all taught from an early age how to provide for a family. When I got to college, I was really disappointed by all the wimpy guys I came across. Now they're all doing things like being trapeze artists or baristas. They suck.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
You guys should watch a movie called Baby Boy.

-Rudey

Oh.My.Freakin.God.

Rudey - I've seen this movie, and not by choice either. I saw it on my last deployment before I got out of the servie, and there was a TV in my office that all my coworkers would use in their offtime. There was this one guy who watched that movie I swear twice a week - he thought it was the COOLEST movie ever because it had snoop dogg and tyrese in it. whatever. The movie was about absolute trash.

Not only is it SAD to live at home with mom and dad, but it's PATHETIC to have several "babies mamas" out there, and refusing to get on with your life.

I lived at home with mom and dad for 8 months after getting out of the service. That was about 7 months longer than I wanted to.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't give a rat's ass whether people live at home with their parents. How is it any of my business?