Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,330
1 members and 1,329 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-28-2006, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Teaching in and/or relocating to Florida

I have lived in Michigan all my life, but have recently been interviewing for several teaching jobs in Florida.

Is anyone here a Florida teacher? Or, has anyone here relocated to Florida for a teaching job, especially as a recent graduate? What can you tell me about teaching in Florida, specifically in charter schools and small public high schools?

I'm interesting in learning what your relocation experience was like, if you've adjusted well, what the Florida schools are like, etc. I've been asking a lot of questions of the schools I've interviewed with, but I'd like to hear from some actual Florida teachers. Thans!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

it depends on what county/city you're teaching in. Florida is really diverse... we have areas that are rural and other areas that are densely populate. I assume your experiences in either will be drastically different.

if you've been travling here recently... then you know that the weather right now is gorgeous!

Last edited by Greekopedia; 03-28-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:07 PM

What part of Florida are you interested in? I have friends and family who teach in both South and Central Florida.

Unless you want to teach in a small, rural school (and those are usually found in North Florida), there's no such thing as a small public high school. Florida is infamous for overcrowding...especially in the more metro areas like Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. I graduated from a South Florida high school and my graduating class had about 800-900 students. Graduation took FOREVER!

Let me know if you have any specific questions about schools in certain areas. My mom taught HS in South Florida for years before moving to Early Childhood Education so while I'm not a teacher, I have great second-hand knowledge of what it's like to be one.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Come to Florida...but beware!

Our school system is pathetic and we need teachers, but with the state of our education system, it's no wonder no one would want to teach here! I don't know how it is in the rest of the state, but where I live in Brevard County on the East Central coast, it seems that all the schools do is prep for the FCAT (Standardized testing). It's like they don't teach the children...it's more like rote memorization of FCAT questions. It doesn't help that the principals pressure the teachers into this style of teaching. FCAT scores determine the amount of funding the schools get, so the higher the scores, the more money. Now that they are considering issuing bonuses or merit pay increases based on FCAT scores, the students are going to suffer even more.

They aren't being TAUGHT in a manner that helps them learn. They are being shown how to cram for a standardized test. Jeb "I'm the Education Governor" Bush has ruined the educational system in the State of Florida.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ironically, Florida as a couple of the Best High Schools in the nation... yet we score very low for quality of education overall.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Thanks for all the replies! A couple of the schools I am looking at and interviewing with are in the Orlando/Kissimmee area, while another is actually in Monroe County (the Keys.) That's the small high school.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

They keys are so far!!!

If you were in Orlando, as least you are centrally located to visit nearly all the tourist attractions. Plus, Tampa and Orlando airports are there too... in case travel is a factor
Old 03-29-2006, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Orlando is more protected from hurricanes...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
Orlando is more protected from hurricanes...
Not necessarily. It's more inland so the hurricanes decrease in strength by the time they get there but not enough. I was living there in 2004 when Charley, Frances and Jeanne ripped through the area. All were hurricane strength when they passed over and the eye passed right over my house during Charley. Severe structural damaged occured to the homes and buildings. Power was out in some parts of Orlando/Kissimmee for over 2 weeks. If a hurricane were to make landfall on Cocoa Beach at a Cat 5 and pass straight through Orlando (as Floyd was supposed to in '99), Orlando would be no more better off than any coastal city. In other words, you don't move to Florida and expect to be protected from a hurricane.

(yes, I'm a dork for knowing all this but being a Florida resident for 24 years will do that to you....and I'm happy to be protected from all the hurricanes now that I'm in Atlanta!)
Old 03-31-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a high school teacher in the Miami-Dade County public school system for 10 years.

You gotta wonder why, with all the schools & universities in Florida that have TONS of education majors, do they feel the need to recruit from outside the state?

Anyway, as for your question re: charter schools. It depends on who is running them. Some are successful, but MOST are not. You've GOT to do your research on them. Teachers are often paid less than in the public school system.

Cost of living is different in Monroe Co. vs Orlando/Kissimmee. But also WAY of living. If you live in the Keys, you have to expect evacuations more often than when hurricanes actually hit. Also, for decent shopping, you'd have to travel to Miami. Dealing with Miami traffic is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Teachers' salaries vary from county to county & public vs private vs charter.

If you want more advice, feel free to PM me or email me @ kdonline@greekchat.com.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Gators!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

cost of living will be higher in the keys. more evacautions during hurricane season on the only highway in or out-lots of extra people during "season", making eating out, grocery shopping , doctor and dentist visits, driving from one end of town to the other, excrutiatingly difficult.

don't limit yourself to public/charter schools-florida has some terrific private schools with very competitive salaries. private school students do not have to take the fcat.

you might want to look into rural schools.pay might not be as high as in a metropolitan area, but the cost of living would be less. there are many smaller communities, near great beaches and other attractions. some of the best beaches in florida are in north florida.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-02-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Every year Florida has a Teacher's Fair..if you can go down there this summer, it is an ideal time to interview with many school systems at one time. Many new teachers and experienced teachers walk away with contracts. When I went, I was offered three positions at 3 different schools. I did, however, turn down the positions, when we realized that hubby's company was not going to let him transfer down there.

The charter school movement is HUGE in Florida right now, and has been for several year. It's the answer for parents who don't want students in public schools, and may not want a religious school education. However, all charter schools are not equal, and many teachers are underpaid.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or PM me!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

I have been a teacher in Florida for 5 years and this will be my last year teaching. Florida is a republican state that does not properly fund education. Cost of living is higher here and pay is not really that great.
They treat their incoming teachers like royalty and the veterans get pooped on. I am a very positive person and have tried to stay in teaching because I love the kids. I just hate public education in Florida...especially where I live in Palm Beach county.
The state is in the lowest 10% for educational spending.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you leaving education all together for a different field, or are you looking to teach in a different state?