GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,453
0 members and 1,453 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Yoga

OK. Does anyone do yoga?

My mom isn't much of an exerciser, but I want to get her a little more active - it's not a weight loss thing, but she's getting older, and she seems like she's a little stressed out & down in the dumps lately.

She's from that generation that doesn't like to do any activity that involves sweating. When she did work out, it was a lot of walking and some work with 7 lb dumbbells.

I found a place near us that I think would be workable - it's about a 15 min drive for each of us. But I'm a little worried that 1) it'll be too granola-crunchy for her, and 2) if we take the same class - which is probably the only way I can get her to go - either I'll be bored silly or she'll be overwhelmed.

I've never done yoga, either, but I'm real active and not in my 50s.

Anyway. I'd love to hear what anyone thinks about it, both what they thought and any guesses as to how someone a little older might take to it.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to practice yoga fairly regularly, but I've found that I like pilates much much better.

On the good side - yoga is an easy practice to modify for different levels of fitness, so you and your mom could probably take the same class and just move at your own comfort level. It's always a good idea to start at the "easiest" level if you've never practiced before, so you can learn all of the postures properly. It's very relaxing and a fantastic stress reliever.

On the not so good side - if your mom doesn't like sweating, she definitely won't like yoga. Most yoga instructors turn on the heat in the room to warm your muscles and make it easier to do some of the postures. It can also be strenuous, and it really hurts my wrists.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADqtPiMel
I used to practice yoga fairly regularly, but I've found that I like pilates much much better.

On the good side - yoga is an easy practice to modify for different levels of fitness, so you and your mom could probably take the same class and just move at your own comfort level. It's always a good idea to start at the "easiest" level if you've never practiced before, so you can learn all of the postures properly. It's very relaxing and a fantastic stress reliever.

On the not so good side - if your mom doesn't like sweating, she definitely won't like yoga. Most yoga instructors turn on the heat in the room to warm your muscles and make it easier to do some of the postures. It can also be strenuous, and it really hurts my wrists.
Ok, let me clarify. I was a bit of a Yoga addict when I was in grad school. There are MANY types of yoga. Heated yoga/Bikram yoga/funky door [chain of studios] is the only type where they crank up the heat and you sweat like a pig. Most other styles are pretty mellow.

The other caveat is that you need to find a studio/instructor you feel comfortable with. The link you provided seemed like a place where it's hard to drop in and take classes as it fits your schedule. You may want to look around for somewhere a little more beginner friendly. Good Luck, and Namaste!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Because I work at a YMCA, I'm "encouraged" to try all the courses we offer so that I can recomend them to our members. It's really funny that the lifeguards (my position) make the treck to the 4th and 5th floors daily, but I'll be buggered if I can remember the last time I saw a trainer in the pool!

Anywho, we have a "Yoga for the Time Challenged" type of class. It was an early morning thing, but aimed towards people who didn't want to be bothered with the 'granola' side of things. It was a nice way to warm up to other workouts...only 30 minutes, no heat, really straightforward instructor, easy to just come and go from (Class structure isn't an enrollment basis, it's just show up and sweat!). Y's specialize in classes for certain age groups, so that might be a place to start. I've found our older members really like working out with people their own age, it helps them with motivation. Conversly, there's a lot of networking in the classes geared towards our 20 somethings.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool I was yoga-ing when yoga-ing wasn't cool...

Yoga helps a lot with older person's propensity for arthritic pain--if done correctly. Also it's a very meditative practice, somewhat in the same way as Tai Chi. Meaning that it allows one to focus on parts of the body to relieve stress and strain. In fact, I think scientists have found that similar brain waves are stimulated when either of these practices are done.

The other thing with yoga is that it develops your "core muscles". Pilates does a better job with the "core muscle" building, but yoga can do it, too.

General stretching, like yoga, for persons as they get older is better than high impact, increased heart rate aerobic exercise. However, the cardiovascular workout should still be completed as a complement and walking includes that process.

So if your mother is exhausted and stressed, then I suggested she speaks to her physcian, then a trainer, and get into a consistent, lifestyle exercise regimen.

I like yoga, but I like barre yoga--yoga in combination with barre exercises from ballet--better.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I have taken yoga from a lot of different teachers, some of whom are very, very granoloa-y/tattooed/young and hip and some of whom who look like retired kindergarten teachers. It may be worth checking out the teachers yourself to find one your mom will be comfortable with beforehand.

If your mom is really out of shape, any kind of exercise, even very gentle, is probably going to raise a little persperation. But if she has been walking, some of the gentle yoga classes may be perfect. I always feel so much better after class - happier, destressed, more relaxed.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
I have taken yoga from a lot of different teachers, some of whom are very, very granoloa-y/tattooed/young and hip and some of whom who look like retired kindergarten teachers. It may be worth checking out the teachers yourself to find one your mom will be comfortable with beforehand.
I agree. Ms. MysticCat -- not of the granola-clan -- teaches yoga, including a class at church and classes at the YMCA. Most of the people who participate in the class she teaches at the church are women over 50. She makes a real effort in all of her classes to gear what she does to the needs and abilities of the students, and she's done a lot of studying to understand the needs/limitations/etc. of older people. She teaches modifications for those who need them.

Look around, and I'll bet you'll find a class that meets both your's and your mom's needs.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
If your mom is really out of shape, any kind of exercise, even very gentle, is probably going to raise a little persperation. But if she has been walking, some of the gentle yoga classes may be perfect. I always feel so much better after class - happier, destressed, more relaxed.
Ha. We're actually safe on that one - she can't sweat. She's missing keratin (or something) in her skin, so she actually doesn't sweat. Which sounds like it'd be great but it just means she overheats really quickly. Which makes cardio pretty unenjoyable for her.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: In the deep south (and there's no place I'd rather be)
I started going to Yoga at my University's gym After the first session I was hooked! Our teacher teaches Iyengar yoga.

I love yoga because it frees my mind for the week. I have never felt so at peace as I did after my first session of yoga.