Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,469
0 members and 1,469 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Question Wedding Related: Bridesmaid Dresses

My sister and I are getting married about 2 1/2 months apart. When I was chosing a bridesmaid/Maid of Honor dress, she was a super...super...super picky pain, and "rejected" at least 10-15 dress choices.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, she doesn't seem to care which dress I like, and only cares that the dress is cheap in price. I understand that she wants to keep the cost down for the other attendant, but the dress I like is not an expensive dress. I don't want to be a pain and say that I should get to choose my dress because she chose hers....but that's partially the truth.

Is there a nice way to say that I don't want to wear the dress she chose, without making it seem like I'm being picky because she was? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Throw your wedding back in her face. Seriously. Tell her she was a raving bitch about your choice and you are now putting that back on her and her choice.

It would work well for me and my sister.

There is no nice way as far as I would be concerned.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
Throw your wedding back in her face. Seriously. Tell her she was a raving bitch about your choice and you are now putting that back on her and her choice.
Yes. I think it should really be up to the bride, but since you didn't get that luxury, she shouldn't either.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Yes. I think it should really be up to the bride, but since you didn't get that luxury, she shouldn't either.
I agree. Tough sh*t... she got to pick her perfect bridesmaid dress at your expense and you should be able to do the same for her.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

How close are you to your sister? Close enough to meet for lunch? If so, ask her to a nicer lunch, then tell her that, while the dress she selected was nice, it's not for you, and you're not going to wear it. Whatever she says, just repeat it, repeat it, and repeat it - until she hears it.

Then, have a photo of the dress that you want ready, and tell her that that is what you're going to wear. Repeat as necessary.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This is complete bullcrap. I read a wedding etiquette book and this is not practicing wedding etiqettecy!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do people still have bridesmaids dresses? I think the whole thing is silly, and if you don't have them, you can't argue about them. I mean, are people going to have happier marriages because a bunch of women wore the same dress at the wedding?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd tell her that since she got to choose her outfit for your wedding, you thought you would get the same luxury. If she says no, then tell her what she has to wear to yours. Honestly, it's up to the bride what the attendants wear.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

let the bridesmaids choose!

Maybe it was because my sister was in her late 20's and more realistic about weddings when she got married, but she simply gave the bridesmaids a color and let them decide what they wanted to wear. Let me tell you, we loved our dresses!

It's one thing to buy an evening dress that you dislike and will never wear again - it good money down the drain. By getting to pick out our own evening dress, we were able to buy something that we wanted to wear and would wear again.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My Jr. bridesmaid's mom informed me that if I made her daughter wear a dress, her daughter would cry because she hates dresses...so I took her to Group USA and let her pick out the dresses and she found one she absolutly loved. It was black & white (so it went with whatever I chose), and all three bridesmaids loved them, and have used them over at least once. I think it's good to let the bridesmaids choose, as long as their choice fits into the wedding.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Re: let the bridesmaids choose!

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiRhoSister
Maybe it was because my sister was in her late 20's and more realistic about weddings when she got married, but she simply gave the bridesmaids a color and let them decide what they wanted to wear. Let me tell you, we loved our dresses!

It's one thing to buy an evening dress that you dislike and will never wear again - it good money down the drain. By getting to pick out our own evening dress, we were able to buy something that we wanted to wear and would wear again.
Just about every wedding I've been in or to in the past few years have done this - I think it's a MUCH better idea!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: let the bridesmaids choose!

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Just about every wedding I've been in or to in the past few years have done this - I think it's a MUCH better idea!
It's what I plan on doing when the day comes. And the bridal stores make this so much easier. Strapless dresses do not look good on everyone when your bridal party ranges from size 2 to size 22.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I was my sister's Maid of Honor in November. We went dress shopping and tried on the dress that she loved on the computer. When I put it on, it was unflattering to say the least. So we shopped a few times. I found a few dresses that I liked that came in the color that she liked. I tried them on and bought the one that looked best with her approval. I was lucky that she was pretty reasonable about the whole dress thing.

Are you the MOH also? I wore a different style dress from the other bridesmaids. It was the same color, but a style that was more flattering on them. My sister wanted the MOH dress to be different from the other maids so she was happy with this arrangement.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Peaches & Cream - please clean out your PM box!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to David's Bridal website, you'll see the section where there are matching 2-piece dresses. The bridesmaids can choose from strapless, spaghetti straps, V necks, and others all in the same material. There are so many variations and colors that it seems like she could find something there that's agreeable to both of you!