GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 857
2 members and 855 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

HTML...anyone?

Ok...so here's my deal...

I'm making a website for my company and it's kind of bare-bones right now.

What I'm trying to do is include our Outlook exchange server on our webpage so employees can go to the webpage to check their mail. I know I could just put a link on there, but I don't really want to do that, I really want to put the Outlook user interface on their.

Our tech geeks have said they would do it for me (all it would take is an "include" and "point to")...but it would be billable. Here's the deal though I know they're going to charge me $125 for something that's going to take them 3 minutes tops...

Does anyone know HTML and could quickly help me with this?

I used to be able to do this stuff, but it's just been so long...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

...paging mightymike!

btw -- is this for your NEW job? What was the outcome of your dilemma?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

No...I found out some things about the other company...

Such as (and I don't know why) the part-time benefits are SO MUCH better then the full time benefits (and actually CHEAPER with a dependant). (My current boss agreed to do benefits on a percentage next year as opposed to a flat amount)

There is a MAX 4% raise, no matter what, yearly. (My co-worker just got 5.5% and we get AT LEAST semi-annual reviews...if she feels like giving us raises in between to, she can...plus we get Christmas bonuses.)

When you change postions at the other job...generally you keep your same salary. (My boss is talking about when she retires replacing my job and having me take her responsibilites).

Plus my boss beat their salary offer. So I'm staying where I'm at. I knew when I went in to tell my boss that I made the right decision. She flung her arms around me and said "Thank god you're staying, I don't want to lose you".
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been summoned.

My first question is what type of server are you using for email right now? If you're running Microsoft Exchange 2000 or 2003 there is a built in feature called Outlook Web Access (OWA). It's not too difficult to setup if you know your way around the server side of things. Now if you're running sendmail or another linux/unix app then there are some freebie platforms that run on top of those services to provide online access.

If you're not running your own mail server and have no plans to in the immediate future, ask your current provider what they can offer. Most ISPs have offerings to support online mail.

Tell me what you have or plans are and I'll happily tailor some options for you.

Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

+++

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 05-18-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, it can be done but it's slightly tricky. You're going to have to know html very well and at least some asp. The OWA website files are stored in your exchange server at: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\exchweb\bin\usa. The file in that folder is the file that will need to be modified/customized to give it the look and feel you want. I just did some very minor changes to my site at https://mail.redventures.net.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok...I don't think I'm explaining myself right

I don't really care if the interface still says outlook. I just want to take that whole white box and put it on my website, so when you click on the toolbar on the left, that whole white box appears on the right and can be used to sign into email, instead of taking you completely away from my site. Is that even possible?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah. Possible, but incredibly more tricky than what I thought you were doing. My advice? Pay the man. Still though, it's just html and asp that's involved, but with some added difficulty. First, you're going to have to move your website from your current host to your Exchange server. This is a security nightmare and I wouldn't recommend it. Doing so, however would let you start to swap code between your mail interface and your www interface.

I'd go into more specifics, but this I've never done. Bang around on experts-exchange.com and see if anyone else has tried it. If you don't have an account there, create one and you'll be given enough points (and you'll see what I mean when you get there) to ask a question and get some more detailed advice.

Mike