GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,343
0 members and 1,343 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2005, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

GA Southern Sigma Nus helping pledge's MS hometown

09/28/05
Dozens of Frat Brothers Head to Gulf Coast

As government help becomes more and more political, private aid for hurricane victims continues to pour in from across the country, including the Coastal Empire. We talked with members of one group on their way to the Gulf Coast, offering more than just supplies.

These college students will roll up their sleeves and give new meaning to fraternity road trip. To see Greek letters on a college campus, most people think of wild parties and crazy initiations. Wilkes Evans hopes to change that. He and 50 of his Sigma Nu brothers will carry food, water and cleaning supplies to Waveland, Mississippi.

But more importantly, they're taking themselves. "What they need are people, cause the spirit of those people is broken," Evans said. "The task is so overwhelming that they need people more than anything. Manpower."

In addition to supplies and cash, they'll donate a few days labor to help as many people as they can.

The brothers of Sigma Nu didn't just pick Waveland, Mississippi, randomly off a map. It is actually the hometown of one of their own. Freshman pledge James Ledford was in Statesboro as the disaster unfolded.

"It hits closer to home when I see pictures and video of the town I know completely wiped out," he said.

We asked how he felt when this went from a concept of helping hurricane victims somewhere to helping his family, his neighborhood, his people. "I just couldn't believe everybody wanted to help out so much," he said. "I thought it would be three or four people in a truck, carrying a crate or two of supplies."

Evans says everyone should learn to look beyond themselves. "Instead of being the typical Animal House fraternity, maybe we can show we want to serve our community and country."

And Ledford will watch one family help the other family start over.

Waveland, Mississippi, is about 35 miles east of New Orleans and was in the center of Katrina's path. The group leaves Thursday night so they can arrive Friday around sunrise and get started immediately.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
I have a friend from HS who is a Sigma Nu at GA Southern! Good for them...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

a bright story and totally the correct thing to do.
good for them.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Another great story! Thanks for posting it.

Way to go GA Southern Sigma Nus!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I love my Sigma Nu's!

I practically lived at the GA Southern Sigma Nu house my freshman year because all of my "guy" friends from high school pledged that chapter. They're great guys and I'm happy to see them getting recognition for the good things they do