GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,111
0 members and 1,111 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2005, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather21
High School Sororites

Hey. I was wondering if anyone could give me information on getting sororites started in a high school. If you do please let me know..thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaRose
High school sororities are an incredibly bad idea, and I doubt you are going to find much support for starting one on this site.
On that note, I doubt you'll find much support from your HS administration. I'll also let you know that high school sororities do not get recognition from any NPC or NPHC sorority.

Concentrate on high school. Apply to colleges. Finish high school. Go to college. Explore Greek Life.

That's my suggestion.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Rigmas - Together forever, Trevor.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Actually, I mostly agree.

In Huntsville, most of the highschools have sororities and some of them are reputable, but, mostly they turn girls off from college sororities due to the "initiation ritual", which in Huntsville is called gooping. (where they pour gross stuff on the girls that are being initiated) Girls that would potentially go through college recruitment assume it is the same in college and don't look to far into it to find out that GLO's are so much more.

What I would do is get an ANCHOR or Key Club started or what ever they are called in the different regions. I assume your school doesn't have that or else you would have mentioned those. Again, in Huntsville these are service organizations that are fun and look good on your application to college and to the greek system.

ANCHOR at Huntsville High School, for example, requires 80 hours of community service for each member. They are also a social organization that have "ice water teas," formals, etc. ALSO, they are approved by most highschool administrations, if they are set up correctly.

I wish I could tell you more but I went to a private school that didn't have ANCHOR club so I don't know any more then that, but I am sure you can find out more on the net.

GOOD LUCK, oh yea and study hard.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont know much about high school sororities.

But what I do know is that there are some orgs that work with ladies around the high school age in the community.
From off the head Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc, comes to mind.
they have a group called Archonettes. Look up some info.

Sororities are hard work and its gonna be extremely hard to get your school to cooperate. The greater purpose of Greek life is to provide service to your community, right? So you could always just go out and do some community service with a group of friends.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar281
Rigmas - Together forever, Trevor.
I got it "saved by the bell" (just wanted you to feel good about your post)
Old 07-31-2005, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

The only thing I can think of is to suggest that your school start a "house system" similar to that in the Harry Potter books/British schools/private schools. You get a little friendly competition, traditions, and perhaps even your own "initiation" ritual that is compltely school-sanctioned. That's probably the closest thing to a sorority/fraternity you can get in a high school.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
On that note, I doubt you'll find much support from your HS administration. I'll also let you know that high school sororities do not get recognition from any NPC or NPHC sorority.

Concentrate on high school. Apply to colleges. Finish high school. Go to college. Explore Greek Life.

That's my suggestion.
And it's also the best suggestion
Old 07-31-2005, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

In some school districts, most notably Miami-Dade County Public Schools in Florida (where I grew up), high school fraternities and sororities are considered illegal organizations and also prohibited under Florida Statutes (FS 232.39) and Miami Dade Public Schools (School Board Rule 6Gx13-5C-1.041). If you're caught, punishments are severe, leading up to expulsion.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-31-2005, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
If you really need to be part of something

Consider organizations like

Girl Scouts of the United States of America
Boys Scouts of America (Explorers and Venture levels)
Youth organizations affiliated with fraternal organizations (i.e., Masons, IOOF, Pythian, etc)
Church affliated groups
Clubs in your schools

Ask around....it is good to be part of something bigger than yourself.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

In my high shool...

we had, what I would consider "sorority-like", they were Y-clubs (YMCA) and they did A LOT of community service. Each fall they would do a presentation to all the school wide ladies and then have individual parties/interivews. It usually went about a week and then "pick-ups" would happen, most likely on a friday night.

When my sister got into one, man did they trash her bedroom, she had a great time. (Of course, they called and let the parents know that they were coming over and what was going to happen to their rooms)

The guys finally caught on and formed their own Y-Clubs

Mostly all the clubs that we had were all community service and dual membership was not unheard of, for example: Na'ali and Girls League.

Of course my high school is not your typical high school.

The edit button has become my new best friend

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 07-31-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather21
Did they have different club names? And what were the qualifications for the Y-clubs?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
In some school districts, most notably Miami-Dade County Public Schools in Florida (where I grew up), high school fraternities and sororities are considered illegal organizations and also prohibited under Florida Statutes (FS 232.39) and Miami Dade Public Schools (School Board Rule 6Gx13-5C-1.041). If you're caught, punishments are severe, leading up to expulsion.
It was the same thing in my school district.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

actually, there were some underground girl groups in the high schools back home. they would "pledge" the girls like at lunch time and the one at my high school stepped in the pep rallies all the time. they definately were not recognized by the school though and i'm sure they could have gotten in trouble for the "pledging" but they never did and some of the teachers knew about it. anyway there were about 2 sorority like groups and 2 fraternity like groups with quasi greek letter names. anyway people seemed to have a great time in them. it's interesting though, because most of the people i know that were affiliated with them are not greek in college.

my suggestion is to figure out why you wanted to start a sorority in the first place...friends? com service? to be popular? and find a way within the system of your school to do that. i know that some of the nphc orgs have high school groups - Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

My high school didn't have sororities, but I can't help be reminded of the sorority in the "Sweet Valley High" books I read in Jr. High. I think it was called Pi Beta Alpha and it was made out to be an elitest group for only the most "popular girls".

There are so many other social outlets available to high school students, I can't say I think starting a sorority is a good idea. Like others have said, spend your time in school wisely by studying, joining other established groups (maybe drama, DECA, Key Club), try out for a sports or dance team if you are atheletic, or consider spending that free time volunteering in your community. Doing activities such as these will make you the kind of well rounded person that college sororities look for!