GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,302
0 members and 1,302 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2005, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

unemployment

A friend of mine just got fired and is filing for unemployment. Anyone know how difficult of a process this is? What percentage of salary can be collected? The bosses reasons for termination were: He can't afford to pay her anymore (which is BS as he was going to hire another vet.-at least that is what he had told her 2 weeks ago), second reason-she comes in at 9 amand leaves at 6 PM-these hrs were never discussed as a problem before, and 3) his office manager (OM)is having a nervous breakdown and basically said it is either my friend or her and the OM won. I suspect none of these are valid reasons for termination. Can she work relief in the meantime until another permanent position is found? (working relief is where you would work at different practices, basically you are self employed). Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

In Texas, which is a "right-to-work" state, you can get fired for any reason, including no reason at all, since employment is at will.

Filing for and collecting unemployment nowadays is a relatively quick and somewhat painless process which can be done online or over the phone.

The max anyone can get for a weekly benefit (paid bi-weekly) is about $330. That lasts for approximately 4-6 months. During that time you will be asked to keep a log of work search contacts - for they will reserve the right to check to see if you're really doing so.

More info: http://www.texasworkforce.org/

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM

The specifics vary from state to state, but in general, if you were fired for reasons other than misconduct, you can file for unemployment benefits.

If she works relief, or any other type of part-time work, the amount of benefits she can collect will probably be reduced. She should follow whatever instructions she gets from the Department of Labor.

Good luck to her
Old 07-23-2005, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

wow-330 a week, this doesn't even scratch the surface. I hope they would not decrease it just because she does relief here and there-relief may or may not be steady income-it is seasonal. I think she applied online yesterday.

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-24-2005, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
wow-330 a week, this doesn't even scratch the surface. I hope they would not decrease it just because she does relief here and there-relief may or may not be steady income-it is seasonal. I think she applied online yesterday.

Thanks for the replies
No problem... and believe me, any work she does while collecting unemployment has to be reported and decreases the weakly (pun intended) benefit. I once worked one job that suddenly cut my hours - after getting paid from my job, the partial benefit was just enough for beer money - and the bills still had to be paid! And if you make more money than what you get in the weekly benefit, you don't get a check.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-24-2005, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually the totally amount is 257 a week an it does decress when you receive any other money. I was fired in September and had to file unemployment. It wasn't a bad process,but it wasn't exactly pleasent. Make sure that your friend has a copy of any type of performance review. My former employer started paying the claim, but then decided to file an appeal. I had to go thur an appeal hearing. I won,but that sucked
Old 07-25-2005, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
The specifics vary from state to state, but in general, if you were fired for reasons other than misconduct, you can file for unemployment benefits.

If she works relief, or any other type of part-time work, the amount of benefits she can collect will probably be reduced. She should follow whatever instructions she gets from the Department of Labor.

Good luck to her
$330/ wk max is awful. In NC it's based on a percentage. You can also file online in NC and see how much you are eligile for. Hopefully you can also file online & complete weekly certifications (job hunts) in Tx.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

she has a contract that states that her boss is to give her 30 days notice for termination. Hopefully this will help her case out.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
330 a week...that's not much less than what I make!!! (1,730/mth gross including all allowances). Of course, I don't pay rent or any of that...

Old 07-25-2005, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My company shut down a few months ago and I went through it.
It varies from state to state on what the max allowed is. In KY it is $355 or something and in Indiana I think I remember it being $328 weekly. It didn't make my bills even, so I had to dip into my savings. It was annoying as hell. Biweekly I had to call in to have another check dispursed. You get either a max time to collect (as in over 5 months) or a max amount. I had a max amount.
And if you do any work you HAVE to report it- they remind you of that a billion times because it is a crime not to- and they do deduct based on what you make.
Also, the base period they determine the amount you can get is not necessarily recent. I had a huge raise not too long before we shut down and since we shut down in April my base period was Jan-Dec 04- so I made a lot less then.

Unemployment blows.

Facebook