Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,447
1 members and 1,446 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 11-29-2000, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Post That one special teacher

When Halle Berry won the NAACP image award for her portrayal of Dorothy Dandridge, one of the people she thanked was her 5th grade teacher. They are still friends to this day.

Has anyone had one special teacher that really made a difference in their life? So often I hear teenagers say they have such bad teachers. Their teachers don't care about them or their jobs. They are only there for the paycheck and the long summer vacations.

I must have been very fortunate, because I think every one of my teachers from elementary through high school really cared about me and wanted me to excel. I do have one very special teacher. He was my high school band director. He was a surrogate father to most of his students since a lot of them either didn't have a real father, or the one they had was a mess. He had two loves in his life, his fraternity (Kappa Alpha Psi) and his alma mater (Florida A&M University and especially the 100). We learned a lot about college life, greek life, and life in general from him. He taught us some valuable lessons and I still remember each and every one of them.

Does anyone else have a special teacher that they would like to give a shout out?

[This message has been edited by MIDWESTDIVA (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was in eigth grade I was taking an algebra class. I got great grades, but I never shut up. My teacher, Mr. Penman was great. He taght us so well and he really cared about us all. I can remeber one day when I just was very talkative and he knew I knew the work so he made me teach that day and he sat in the back of the class and every time I turned around he would just start talking and I was soo irratated. He taught how to shut my mouth that day and be respectful

When I got to high school. He had also tranfered and was teaching highs chool math. Although I never had his class because he taught basic math only. But he always sapoke to meands we always had great long conversations. I got pregnant my senior year and all of my teachers were astonished I remeber hearing a group of teachers talking about me and my predictiment and one asking "how dsoes a honor student get pregnant"? Mr. Penman replyed that same way everyone else in the world does and it tpouched my heart all though he never knew I heard him. I graduated 8th in my class and when I walked off that stage he told me how proud of mre he was.

I didn't see him again for about two years and when I ddi we talked for a whil and at that point in time I was debating on going to Indiana University in Bloomington,( i was currently at Indiana University Northwest, a smaller extension of the school) He asked me why and the only reason I realy could think of was because it was a bigger school and for some insane reason I thought it would look better if I graduated form there. Well he told me the story of one of his friends who put herslf through Purdue Calumet (an extension of Pudue Univerity in Lafeyette). He told me how wshe poayed for school herself and when she was at an interview a prosepective employer told her "I have people form this and that school ( all bigger schools that Purdue Cal) and I want to know what do you thinkt that you can offer to compare to them ?" She replyed "the only difference between their education and mine is that they payed more for theres. That just shows how much of an asset I will be, because I know the value of a dolar"
Yet again, Mr. Penman tiouched my heart and helped me make another importantr descion in my life.
I thinkt that teachers are so important to us and that we need to realize that and that some of them need to rmeber that because they have no idea how little things thy say can affect us

O.k I'm going to stop because I'm crying know....lol
Old 12-04-2000, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I've had a few teachers who've touched my life. My 4th grade teacher Mrs. Hill. My high school french teacher Ms. Lee and my high school guidance counselor Mrs. Harris. They had such a profound affect on me that helped mold me into the woman I am today.

--------------
and yes it took
4 times to get it right
Old 12-18-2000, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Greetings,

I know I am late on the topic, but I do have a special teacher. She was my third grade teacher and she has always been my inspiration. Her name is Mrs. Hollingsworth and everytime I see her we give each other a big hug.

I also had a special college instructor. I always wanted to be in one of her classes and I finally got that chance. She was my Practicum Supervisor and she was fighting a rare blood disease. The doctors wanted her to quit, but she told them that there was no way to she could abandon her interns, the Practicum students, and the children in the Early Childhood Center. I am telling you that Ms. Paula Cravey was a more than special lady. She touched many people lives. Unfortunately, she lost her battle after having a blood transfusion.

Old 12-20-2000, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ridiculous2000:
Greetings,

I know I am late on the topic, but I do have a special teacher. She was my third grade teacher and she has always been my inspiration. Her name is Mrs. Hollingsworth and everytime I see her we give each other a big hug.

I also had a special college instructor. I always wanted to be in one of her classes and I finally got that chance. She was my Practicum Supervisor and she was fighting a rare blood disease. The doctors wanted her to quit, but she told them that there was no way to she could abandon her interns, the Practicum students, and the children in the Early Childhood Center. I am telling you that Ms. Paula Cravey was a more than special lady. She touched many people lives. Unfortunately, she lost her battle after having a blood transfusion.

Just wondering what year did you have your practicum and what was it for? (I participated in mine my sophomore year.)

Where I'm from, most of my friends were education majors but they didn't have practicums. Did your school differentiate between a practicum and field placement? Just wondering, because mine did, if you didn't pass that class(w/ the practicum) you were forced to switch majors. That class made me realize that I did not want to teach high school anymore.

Old 12-21-2000, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I had a special teacher in high school...she was my religion teacher (I was in parochial school). Unfortunately, I didn't have too many teachers who were not white, but Mrs. Cunningham was special just the same! She taught me a lot of lessons about life. I don't believe that I have the gift of teaching, but I have great respect for those who do.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!!! God bless.
Old 12-22-2000, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

PRETTYSQUEKY,

I DID MY PRACTICUM MY SENIOR YEAR. USUALLY AT MY SCHOOL (AUBURN UNIVIVERSITY MONTGOMERY) THEY PREFER THAT YOU DO IT RIGHT BEFORE YOUR INTERNSHIP. MY PRACTICUM REQUIRED ME TO WORK WITH CHILDREN IN THE EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER ON CAMPUS. THESE CHILDREN WERE IN THE AGE RANGE OF 3 TO 5. IT WAS ONLY REQUIRED FOR STUDENTS MAJORING IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION. NOW MY SCHOOL HAS GONE TO SEMESTERS AND A LOT HAS CHANGED. BOTH EARLY CHILDHOOD AND ELEMENTARY HAVE TO DO A PRACTICUM NOW.