GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,186
0 members and 1,186 guests
No Members online

Old 07-10-2005, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Question Sisterhood:What Does It Mean?

One of the workshops I went to at the South Atlantic Regional was about sisterhood and the meaning of it. A survey was given out, which asked several questions refering to this topic. There are a lot of questions but I will give the following to ask to the Greek Chat family:

What does sisterhood in DST (or AKA, Z Phi B, SGRho or other sorority) mean to you?

Why is sisterhood important to you?

What type of activities can foster and nurture sisterhood?

Do we display unconditional sisterly love among our sorors? Explain.

Have your expectations of what it means to be a Delta (or other sorority) been met?

This is not only for Deltas! Sistergreeks are also invited to respond!

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 07-11-2005, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Re: Sisterhood:What Does It Mean?

What does sisterhood in DST (or AKA, Z Phi B, SGRho or other sorority) mean to you?
Sisterhood to me: Solidarity; a security blanket; sisters from another mother; a shoulder to cry on, to laugh with, to help share our burdens

Sisterhood is important because it lets me know that I have support, that I have folks who I can turn to if I should ever need them, just like family

This is hard to pinpoint, because it can change instantly. For me, social events can foster sisterhood, being in a committee can also foster sisterhood. Even going through the same or like struggles can bring people closer.

Whoo..well, no, I don't think we do. I think that this should be our behavior, but some situations have caused some of us to be out right nasty towards each other. I think it's our human nature, once we are hurt, it's hard to trust and open up again.

Have your expectations of what it means to be a Delta (or other sorority) been met?
Yes it has. In my 11 years, I have experience the spectrum of expectations from my sisterhood. I have learned a great deal and I'm no where near done with my lessons. I'm blessed to have those sorors in my life that have been a TREmendous amount of support and love.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Question:

Did you perform a search? There are 3 or so threads in this forum regarding sisterhood. I know on the Ave there are a few threads regarding sisterhood/activities/sisterly love. I'm not sure about the other sites....

Maybe you discussed this with CT4 prior to posting.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Question:

Did you perform a search? There are 3 or so threads in this forum regarding sisterhood. I know on the Ave there are a few threads regarding sisterhood/activities/sisterly love. I'm not sure about the other sites....

Maybe you discussed this with CT4 prior to posting.
I did discuss it with her last week but just got around to creating the thread.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jitterbug13
I did discuss it with her last week but just got around to creating the thread.
I was under the impression that it was ONLY a thread about our regional conferences.

I need a GC vacation.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
I was under the impression that it was ONLY a thread about our regional conferences.

I need a GC vacation.
I thought that I also mentioned that I wanted to create a thread about one of the seminars I went to durring regional. If you feel that you have to close the thread, I will have no problem with that. Sorry for any confusion that I have caused.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jitterbug13
I thought that I also mentioned that I wanted to create a thread about one of the seminars I went to durring regional. If you feel that you have to close the thread, I will have no problem with that. Sorry for any confusion that I have caused.
Don't sweat it. I might have misread it. The day you contacted me I was fresh out of a 3 hour seminar on Medicaid policies and procedures so moving on with the thread. . ..
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Yay I can post now

To me, it means that no matter where I go I have sisters. It's a bond that lasts a lifetime. It's something that's understood without saying a word. It's a connection deeper than words. It's a full, deep history. It's courageous, strong, beautiful women making a difference.

Sisterhood is important to me because you always have someone to turn to, no matter how important or trivial the situation. Women can have such a special bond when they aren't being catty toward one another.

I also think social events and committees can foster sisterhood. I also think just plain communication can nurture sisterhood. Sometimes just to call someone you haven't spoken to in a long time, or reaching out for someone's birthday, etc. can create a bond. It's little things that count a lot of times.

Overall, I would say no, but we should. It's easier said than done because I think we get caught up in a lot of unnecessary things that cause us to turn against each other without realizing it. I think unconditional love is a conscious effort; it's something you have to choose to do and practice.

Delta has gone beyond my expectations. I don't even remember what my expectations were. I didn't know what I was stepping into; we never do until we're there. There's just so much to absorb, so much love, so much to learn. Just like anything, there are good and bad times, but I appreciate both. Yes I appreciate the bad times as well because I learned from them. Again, it's not always something that can be put into words, it's just a special feeling to belong to such a great Sisterhood.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that sisterhood is an effort, an action. You have to put forth sisterhood in order for it to be returned.

It's a jungle out there.