GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,255
0 members and 1,255 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Cob/cor/cr

Last edited by Jen; 08-14-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The 2005 edition of the Manual still uses COB as a term.

From MR-3, Glossary: COB- Continuous Open Bidding. COB is an opportunity for those chapters that do not reach Quota during a recruitment to bid to Quota and/or Total.

The only thing I would question is the part about only fully-structured recruitment schools participating in COB. My school is defined as PSR, but our chapters still do COB.

COB and COR are interchangeable, as far as I know, but like I said, the Manual of Information still formally uses COB. You are correct on the definition of CR.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter does COB but we're now supposed to call it CR, so definitions may be changing again. I never know if what i'm saying is the proper or even PC term anymore....
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this right or not. But, here goes. My chapter does COB after formal recruitment. Last year, we were told to start calling it COR. Then, they switched back, saying NPC said that COR was being confused with CR. So, COB is as it always was. CR is what happens on campuses where there is no structured recruitment. Everyone continuously recruits to total. No quota on those campuses. And, COR is no longer a recognized term.

Then again, who knows?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

They all mean that you have a chance to fulfill Quota/Total while forgetting about your studies!

Seriously, my chapter was so freakin' awful at COB that we HAD to excel at FR!!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by theta4life
CR is what happens on campuses where there is no structured recruitment. Everyone continuously recruits to total. No quota on those campuses. And, COR is no longer a recognized term.

Then again, who knows?
are there even any campuses with that situation?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
On my campus COR and COB are the same thing. However, Panhellenic voted to change COB to COR so COR is used now.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 06-28-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I think there are a few where there is only one or two sororities and the campus is nontraditional. Theoretically.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep.
My alma mater rush rules are as follows:
No bidding first years until the beginning of 2nd semester. (they can attend rush events though)
No alcohol

It can be difficult becuase we comepeted with one (and by the time I graduated, kind of two locals) who would have men at rush events, early bidding of first years, social membership options, etc. There were really no ways to report someone, it would be more hassle than anything. It was always an issue when getting advice from our DP or ECs becuase most of them had very little experience with no rules rush. Their best advice was follow our national guidlines and make some new friends.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes. My chapter was the only NPC on campus. We recruited whenever we wanted to.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, actually our school kind of does that and we have 6 sororities (one just got kicked off). My chapter as well as most of the others use CR. We do have a "formal" recruitment in the spring (we can't bid 1st semester freshmen) which is a set time for each of the girls interested to go through and meet each of the 6 sororities over like 3 days. then after that we have informal recruitment (ie. whenever and what activities we would like) until the day we are allowed to give out bids. there are no bid-matching and quotas. we just keep recruiting till we reach total, which only one group has. this is not a perfect set-up but it works better for our campus than full-on formal, since we only had 25 girls go through formal last spring with 7 sororities. In the end, each sorority got at least more than what "quota" would have been, including our cxhapter that remains at total. the numbers were: AZD: 10 (started with 12), ASA: 10, DZ: 9 (started with 11), DphiE: 8, SigPhDel (local):7or8 (started with 1 or 2 more), AST: 6 (started with 8) and XAT: 4.
I know my chapter is awful when it comes to formal because we were the smallest chapter and not able to be super-fake nice. We excell in CR though, at least this year, doubling our numbers in one semester.

I know that since the NPC lessened the restriction on formal recruitment, it is easier for schools to tailor it to what will help out the chapters on their campus. Besides, I'd rather do 1 CR event a week or possibly two, than spend weeks preparing for 2 weeks of formal to end up getting no girls.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dznat187
quote:

Well, actually our school kind of does that and we have 6 sororities (one just got kicked off). My chapter as well as most of the others use CR. We do have a "formal" recruitment in the spring (we can't bid 1st semester freshmen) which is a set time for each of the girls interested to go through and meet each of the 6 sororities over like 3 days. then after that we have informal recruitment (ie. whenever and what activities we would like) until the day we are allowed to give out bids. there are no bid-matching and quotas. we just keep recruiting till we reach total, which only one group has. this is not a perfect set-up but it works better for our campus than full-on formal, since we only had 25 girls go through formal last spring with 7 sororities. In the end, each sorority got at least more than what "quota" would have been, including our cxhapter that remains at total. the numbers were: AZD: 10 (started with 12), ASA: 10, DZ: 9 (started with 11), DphiE: 8, SigPhDel (local):7or8 (started with 1 or 2 more), AST: 6 (started with 8) and XAT: 4.
I know my chapter is awful when it comes to formal because we were the smallest chapter and not able to be super-fake nice. We excell in CR though, at least this year, doubling our numbers in one semester.

I know that since the NPC lessened the restriction on formal recruitment, it is easier for schools to tailor it to what will help out the chapters on their campus. Besides, I'd rather do 1 CR event a week or possibly two, than spend weeks preparing for 2 weeks of formal to end up getting no girls.
Since you do have a formal recruitment period, technically wouldn't you be considered a Minimally Structured Recruitment school?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe, I'm not really sure the term for it tho. Its kind of just like an info session thing. we do outbreaks in the fall as well. The school has absolutely nothign to do with recruitment in any way. The sororities as part of Panhel plan, set-up and run "formal" on their own. In fact, I don't event hink we have to do formal if we decided we didn't want to. Our greek advisor isn't involved in the planning either nore does he show up for any of the "formal" events.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC finally realized that the traditional Formal Recruitment and Bid Matching procedures that all we know does not work well on every campus. So with the help of their NPC Advisor, each campus Panhellenic is supposed to review that campus' historic Recruitment data and determine which recruiting format would best suit their needs. If/when a campus' Greek population significantly grows/shrinks, that campus can then reevaluate it's Recruitment Style selection.

Following are the 4 different recruiting styles that I copied from the handouts and my notes from the presentation. Sorry folks, I didn't write down the exact example quota numbers each style should work best for, since Bama will be sticking with Formal. These are approximations and to the best of my recollection.

1. Continuous Open Recruitment

2. Minimally Structured Recruitment

3. Partially Structured Recruitment

4According to my notes: Same old thing we've always done. Good for campuses that traditionally have quota of 30+. [/B][/QUOTE] yes or those who have consistent recruitment "success" with this process based on release figures even if quota is lower. We havea chapter with quota at 18-22 and they use this b.c many chapters recieve at least 15 if not quota

Awesome email summary!!!!!!: as a recruitment advisor for 2 chapters i work with different forms now gee how nice. Basically what our area NPC delegate said about the recruitment options when we changed was that COR is bascially going to replace the term COB sicne they are really the same thing.

1) MSR: basically like COR with some Panhellenic involvement BUT the PNM do not have to do to all the chapters just like PSR. This is usually done, in therory, we were told to help campuses where Formal Rush is not very successful and to help struggling chapters..... how with girls not having to go to all the chapters I dont know but it is less stressful and most schools dont do this is one week its spread out over like 1 month and its crazy!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
Since you do have a formal recruitment period, technically wouldn't you be considered a Minimally Structured Recruitment school?
yes thats what it is essentially and it can work