GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,168
0 members and 1,168 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

bid day photographs

I am in SAM at University of Maryland, College Park. We have been thinking of new ways to promote unity for our chapter. I was thinking that most of the sororities do bid day pictures on bid day on our campus. I was thinking of maybe doing that for our fraternity but I am not sure if anyone has ever done it for a frat. Does anyone know if this have ever been done? Also does anyone know a company that does bid day pictures? i have heard of a couple but am not sure who is good or not.

holla back,

Mike

SAM, Sigma Chi chapter
Old 06-02-2005, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
PS, a cheap way might be to recruit an art major with a good digital camera to do them. Art students always need the cash and would probably do it at a more reasonable price than a studio or a firm would.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Mike, call the guy who shoots photos at your fraternity and sorority socials. He can do formal chapter shots of the group standing together, formal shots of each pledge class, and informal lifestyle photos of the guys interacting at Bid Day activities.

Flash Foto is a good one. If you're still stuck, call any of the sorority social chairs. The girls can advise you on which photogs they have used for their events.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

bid day photography

Okay, those are good suggestions I guess. I don't think anyone in the chapter would be capable of doing it though. I want something really professional looking with the lettering on the bottom. I think it would be worth the money, and we'd send it to alumni and nationals.

i have heard bad things about flash fotos. my ex girlfriend went to University of South Florida and they stopped using them because they were no good i do not remember the name of who they started using (Id call her but we are not on good terms

any one else have someone they use that is national?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

bid day pics

Mike-

I go to asu and we used Greek Yearbook for our bid day pics. I know one fraternity here (pikes) used them for a fraternity group pic too. Hope that helps.....www.greekyearbook.com is their site.

Ali
Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Why not ask the sororities on campus and see who they use? And if they like them or not. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Little E you are wise. I was trying to get in t ouch with some people from school and finally did. It looks like everyone uses Greekyearbook.com for bid day pictures at Maryland.

i called them today and am setting something up with them, but hoping to get pricing from other companies also. they claim to be the only nationwide bid day photography company so who knows
Old 06-03-2005, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

aww thanks...

but if you have them come the same day as they shoot other chapters you might save on travel costs. Just don't sign a long term contract
Old 06-04-2005, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
PS, a cheap way might be to recruit an art major with a good digital camera to do them. Art students always need the cash and would probably do it at a more reasonable price than a studio or a firm would.
My old chapter tried this-IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. The students never followed through on the orders or didn't show up. They had no one to answer to so they did not care.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
We always used some guy in the area called The Picture Man or something, but over the years became a bit irritated with him for a number of reasons.

This winter bid-day, we had a friend of the chapter's who takes pictures for the campus newspaper and yearbook take the pictures and they turned out really well - they had "Pi Beta Phi Winter Pick-Up 2005" on the bottom and everything.

It wasn't exactly perfectly organized because he's not a seasoned professional, but he did a good job. Plus, it was inexpensive and he was quite timely. If you find someone on campus who is a friend of the chapter (i.e. wouldn't cheat you) and has the equipment and skills, I'd suggest it. Otherwise, like everyone said, find out who the sororities use and contact them.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

All GLO's at Bama use a company called Zap for all it's photography. I believe it's a nation-wide company, but I have no idea where their other offices are.

A word to the wise about Bid Day Pictures. Zap requires Bid Day orders that day and no payment until they come in, which is usually a month or two down the road. We learned the hard way that everyone is excited about the pix on Bid Day and orders packages. But once they come in alot of folks either change their mind or don't have the cash. So the chapter ended up getting stuck with the bill and photos.

Now we require our women to pay the chapter upfront when they order. No check/cash, no order. The Treasurer goes through the order list before it's given to Zap to make sure everyone has paid. However if your GLO uses sinking/slush funds, this would eliminate the problem.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

well i spoke to that company greekyearbook.com and they said they would come out for free... no charge except for what people purchase as far as packages. the package prices seemed reasonable but I am new to this so what do i know

they said we would get the photos the following week after taking the photos. they also give you like 5 free 11x14 photos for signing up .

sounds like a good deal. any one else have any other suggestions or companies i should check out? anyone else know anything about this company. they claim to work with 300 some universities so i would think someone else has used them
Old 06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone on my campus uses this company:

http://www.kabancephoto.com/

They do a great job. On the website, it says they cover various areas, but it doesn't list them. So I'm not sure if they are national or not.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
i've used a guy from Oklahoma (i'm in texas) and he comes down no charge. he has pricing packages that are really reasonable. you order on bid day and have to send in the money before he sends the pictures. turn around time is usually about a month, unless money is late. i've worked with him for about 4 years now and no problems. he may be willing to go to the east coast. if you want his number, send me a PM. he doesn't have a website and doesn't use email that i know of!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JenniferKraft
Greekyearbook

I go to University of San Diego and out sorority uses Greekyearbook for all of our events and composite . THey are a decent company with friendly photographers I am not sure if it is the same every where . I know my friend who goes to Syracuse uses them for all of their events and composite also. They said they like them for their composite and bid day, but not the events as much. I guess they have different photographers at different schools.

They are pretty quick on turnaround, very inexpensive!! We had a couple problems with booking them for last minute events we held because they book up pretty quick, but besides that we love them. you can see some events from USD we have held on the site, www.greekyearbook.com.

JennBren the FLEN!!!!