Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,472
2 members and 1,470 guests
No Members online

Old 05-24-2005, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting Greek History

I thought this was an interesting excerpt by an Omega on his experience in greekdom during the early 1900's at Wiley College.

"The greatest event of the school year, he told us, was the annual homecoming game. This year, the Wiley Wildcats would play the vaunted Tuskegee football team, and "Pops" Long had promised him that Wiley would be victorious. That announcement drew scattered applause, but President Dogan had not finished. The way to improve the homecoming spirit, he declared, was to have the Greek letter organizations elect the homecoming queen this year. Rather than having an ordinary election as we had done in the past, this time the Alphas and their sister Greek letter organization, the AKA's, should put up a candidate and the Omegas and their sister group, the Deltas, put up a candidate, and the other fraternities and sororities either field candidates of their own or back one of those chosen by the two major groups. Such a procedure, our president assured us, would add a lot of class to the homecoming event.

The Alphas, Omegas, AKA's, and Deltas rocked the auditorium with applause. Rotten food in the dining hall was eclipsed by dreams of the banquet feting the queen each fraternity was certain it would elect. Where there had been unity before, there was now bitter Greek letter rivalry that split the campus open. My frat brothers and I met with the Deltas and selected our nominee. The Alphas and AKA's did the same. The Kappas joined us. The Sigmas joined the other camp. There were Zetas and the non‑Greeks to be courted. We were certain that we had the majority, as the campaign moved into high gear.

So intense was the rivalry, that very little else happened on the Wiley campus during those weeks. On election day, tempers were hot. There was at least one fight in the men's dormitory between an Alpha and an Omega.

When the votes were counted, we discovered that the Alphas had stuffed the ballot box. They had done it badly, for there were more ballots cast than there were people eligible to vote. Hence, a new election had to be held. Walking down the sidewalk in front of the administration building the next morning, I looked up to see Hamilton Boswell, my debate colleague, who was president of the Alphas, coming toward me.

"That dirty son of a bitch," I said to myself. "I'm not even going to speak to him."

As we passed, each of us looked away and said nothing. We had gone less than ten paces, when we both stopped, turned around, laughed, walked back, embraced, and said, "What kind of stupidity is this?" I don't know who said it first.

I said, "Ham, let's go to the Wildcat Inn and talk."

Together, we walked in silence to the shack. Boswell and I decided to resign from our respective fraternities and start an anti‑Greek association on campus with the objective of removing fraternities and sororities from Wiley. How could blacks ever unite against the common enemy of racism when they were victims of such fratricidal insanity as that fostered by the fraternities and sororities at Wiley?

He and I promised each other that on the following day each of us would call an emergency meeting of his organization at 7:00 P.M. At those simultaneous meetings in different locations, both of us would turn in his fraternity pin and resign in writing from the presidency and from membership in the organization. At ten o'clock, he would come to my house, and there we would plan our joint attack on the Greek letter organizations, hoping to force them to come together to fight us.

At seven o'clock the next evening, the Wiley College chapter of Omega Psi Phi met for an emergency session. I read to my bewildered frat brothers my formal resignation from the office of president and membership, removed my pin, and gave it to the secretary. I informed them that Hamilton Boswell was at that very minute doing the same thing. Never in my life have I seen such a shocked group of young men. Mouths were wide open in the stony silence of disbelief. I asked the vice‑basileus to take the chair and I sat on another one, which I pulled to the front of the room so as to answer any questions. There were no questions, only harangue. "But, Farmer, you can't do this! Once an Omega, always an Omega."

"You can't leave us."

"Nothing like this has ever happened before to the Omegas."

"Boswell won't do it. Wait and see. He'll double‑cross you."

The meeting broke up without having officially adjourned. At home I waited anxiously for ten o'clock, wondering if indeed Boswell had kept the covenant. He arrived at ten‑fifteen.

Our plan was simple. We would announce in a mimeographed leaflet the action that each of us had taken and would herald the formation of the Anti‑Greek Association. The leaflet would invite members of the Greek organizations and non‑Greeks to join us in this struggle for black unity. The leaflet would also challenge the Greek letter organizations to select two of their members to meet us in a public debate on campus on the topic "Resolved that Greek letter organizations are an asset to the black struggle for equality." (Needless to say, they did not accept because Boswell and I were the varsity debate team. It would be like the first‑string football players inviting the Greeks to select eleven from their ranks to fight it out with them on the gridiron. It was a cheapshot offer.)

Each day, the Anti‑Greek Association announced a new proposition, which would be boldly printed on the bulletin board in front of the administration building in the center of campus. The first proposition was; "Greek letter organizations are uneconomical for minorities." Other propositions were: "Greek letter organizations are divisive, rather than unifying"; "Greek letter organizations are elitist"; "Greek letter organizations show contempt for the masses."

The campus was in an uproar. Boswell and I were drawn closer together, for in the perception of most, we had suddenly grown horns and forked tails. Only the non‑Greeks sympathized with us and congratulated us on our actions.

The more despised we became, the greater was my exhilaration. This was my first experience at tilting at windmills of social fashion, and I loved it. The acrimonious words hurled in my direction sounded good to me, for I knew I was right.

Everyone assumed that Tolson, the campus radical, was behind all this, so he meticulously stayed out of it and withheld all comment. When harangued by other faculty members or students about the stand Boswell and I had taken, he merely said, "I don't think my debaters need any help from me in defending their position," and turned and walked away.

My father said he thought we were courageous and right, but we should have called it the Non‑Greek Association instead of the Anti‑Greek Association.

Dr. Dogan summoned Boswell and me to his office. He sat behind a large, ornate mahogany desk in what was easily the most luxurious room on campus. There were sculptures and paintings, velvet drapes, an oriental rug, and artifacts from all over the world.

His jaws were clenched as we entered. He removed his glasses, revealing eyes serene with authority. The sun coming through the window behind him bounced off his bald head and danced with rainbow colors on the large diamond ring on his left hand.

"Mr. Farmer, Mr. Boswell, what is this I hear about some so‑called Anti‑Greek Association on the Wiley Campus?" His mouth hardly opened.

We sank deeply into two overstuffed leather chairs and explained the rationale and purpose of our actions.

"Kick the Greeks off campus?" His mouth was opening now, and his slight lisp was less noticeable. "You can't kick the Greeks off campus. Greek letter organizations add a lot of class to Wiley College. If anybody is thrown off this campus, it'll be you."

He whirled in his swivel chair and looked out the window, showing us his back and the gray hairs that, unable to grow on his head, had retreated to the soft brown flesh at the back of his neck. When he turned back to us a minute later, his face had softened.

"Forget what I just said about throwing you off the campus. I didn't mean that. You're both good students and fine young men, and we're all proud of you. I'm sure this whole thing's going to be worked out somehow."

The somehow proved to be the most astonishing sequence of events imaginable. The executive committees of the Omegas, Deltas, Alphas, and AKA's met together and agreed on a plan that was subsequently approved by their respective memberships. The plan was simple and precise. I wondered if Dr. Dogan had suggested it. There would be not one reigning monarch, but two: a homecoming queen and a May Day queen. There would be no loser; each candidate would win. The ballots asked students to vote for one of the two candidates for one queenship, and the second for the other; or, if preferred, write in a candidate for each royal throne.

For the rest of the year, the fraternities and sororities met together frequently, and the Anti‑Greek Association, having served its purpose, faded away. It was rumored, though never confirmed, that Boswell had revoked his resignation from his frat, but I never rejoined mine."
Old 05-26-2005, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Interesting Greek History

Could you please provide a source for this "article". It doesn't seem to ring authentic to me. If both were the "leaders" of their respective organizations, why not lead fromm within rather than attack from without.

Smells like anti-Greek propaganda to me.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah, come on dude - you sound too pro-greek! I am greek. And everybody and everything isn't antigreek. The fact of the matter is we do have some ugly history that we seem to not want to discuss - that need to be discussed. If we openly discussed these things, maybe we would not have the divisions we see w/in our organizations today. Get Over All this Anti Greek Sentiment - half of those who claim to be greek - don't know a damn thing about nothing.

Now back to the story:
It sounds like they did not like what the administrator's at the school did by trying to use the greeks to pump the school, and how the greeks who were once unified became divided. I think their ploy was to reunify the greeks and I think they accomplished it. Why they used the tactics they used, I don't know. I do understand what you are saying that maybe they could have accomplished this by being positive forces while remaining w/in the organization.

Link Below:
http://www.sunrisedancer.com/radical...theheart11.asp
Old 05-27-2005, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

And if you think that was bad - check out this interesting greek history.

CHAPTER HISTORY:

The university president at that time, being a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, was against the development of Alpha Phi Alpha on the campus of Langston. He eventually organized a meeting with the men who sought the existence of Alpha Phi Alpha. He suggested that a fraternity could be started, only if it were Kappa Alpha Psi. The men bluntly said "No." Unfortunately, most of the young men had jobs on campus in order to pay for educational expenses. The president had all of them fired. Those who could remain in school stayed; however, those who could not had to leave. The remaining men were forced to meet in secret as the Ionian club.

On Tuesday, March 12, 1932, Beta Kappa entered the world of Alphadom. The leading spirits in the organization of this chapter were Brothers T.W. Harris and L.H. Williams. There were 22 brothers who witnessed the birth of the chapter.

Beta Kappa Chapter has enjoyed a unique and historic position within the "House of Alpha." Two (2) general presidents of Alpha Phi Alpha have come from within its membership. They are Brothers Henry Ponder and William H. Hale. Beta Kappa Chapter has consistently been a source of "light" for Brothers within and others without.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to know the sources of these articles, too.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-27-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Well ladygreek for the first articlde,

I posted it, so if you really wanted to know a simple left click on your mouse would suffice.

As for the second article:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/bkofaphia/index.html
Old 05-27-2005, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

So Conqueror, is it your duty to post every episode of division amongst Greeks past? Divide and CONQUER? If so, I hope that it does not spawn a trend.

As long as people belong to different orgs or are aligned under different banners, there will always be a level of division, that is only natural. Differences breed competition which breed divisiveness on some level.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conqueror
Well ladygreek for the first articlde,

I posted it, so if you really wanted to know a simple left click on your mouse would suffice.
And that I did earlier, Sir, but unless I am missing it I do not see an author nor a bibliography of credible sources.

As for the second posting from the Beta Chapter website, what was so bad about that? Many schools have tried to steer folx to one or two frats or sororities rather than allowing new ones on campus. That was pretty common then. DST's Alpha Chapter's recognition at HU was held up by a school official for similar reasons.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PerroLoco
So Conqueror, is it your duty to post every episode of division amongst Greeks past? Divide and CONQUER? If so, I hope that it does not spawn a trend.

As long as people belong to different orgs or are aligned under different banners, there will always be a level of division, that is only natural. Differences breed competition which breed divisiveness on some level.
Is Divisive the term you would use to describe that article? If so, I think that the two of us viewed it quite differently. I saw it as a happy ending to a divisive story. The read suggested that the two (the Omega and the Alpha) came together in the end to conjure a scheme that would reunify the greeks. Although you may not agree with their method, I tend to think there overall plan worked.

Furthermore, the fact that the two guys put differences aside and realized that the friendship was important was indeed a touching part of this story.

I did not post this to offend anyone, I actually thought it was a good story. But there are several themes w/in it. One I think is to remember are divisive pasts so we can have a unifying future.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
And that I did earlier, Sir, but unless I am missing it I do not see an author nor a bibliography of credible sources.

As for the second posting from the Beta Chapter website, what was so bad about that? Many schools have tried to steer folx to one or two frats or sororities rather than allowing new ones on campus. That was pretty common then. DST's Alpha Chapter's recognition at HU was held up by a school official for similar reasons.
Who ever said any of this was bad. If you re-read the title of my post - I labeled it "Interesting Greek History" not "Bad Greek History."

Now in a resonding post to perroloco - I said that if HE thought that the first story was bad - then wait to he would hear the second bit of history.

But I don't personally think it was bad, and I agree that people did things to steer folx to particular orgs.

But,

if you think that the President at Langston was merely steering those guys to go Kappa, then I disagree. In that one I think he went a little too far. I would say the same if it were an Alpha President at a college.

But I think that the theme of that story - was that those guys overcame even afaced with strenuous circumstances.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Perroloco and ladygreek,

thanks for taking the time out to read and respond to the history tidbits - I really like history and old pictures.

My intentions were not too offend, but I realize that at times my tone can be offensive, so please don't mistake my fervor for debate and discussion, as offending you guys.

Perro, I really liked the story - it wasn't to fuel anger, or to cause antigreek sentiment. I just saw a little different.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conqueror
Perroloco and ladygreek,

thanks for taking the time out to read and respond to the history tidbits - I really like history and old pictures.

My intentions were not too offend, but I realize that at times my tone can be offensive, so please don't mistake my fervor for debate and discussion, as offending you guys.

Perro, I really liked the story - it wasn't to fuel anger, or to cause antigreek sentiment. I just saw a little different.
Thanks for your explanations. It is just that both articles could be viewed negatively at best. I didn't see anything positive for Greeks. I saw them as stories where competition got the best of our spirit of brotherhood. Which happens across the spectrum of human interaction, not just Black Greekdom
Old 05-31-2005, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto what Perro said. But very honestly, unless an org's history is on their national website orr in a SANCTIONED book, I give it little credibility. I've seen too many of my own org's chapter websites with erroneous information.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Great Point! And as we know, there is always three sides to every story. And I guess I just gave one sided stories.