Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Bone Marrow Drive for Sister

Just in case you all hadn't heard...the turnout for this drive was phenomenal, and the chapter is trying to help cover the cost of the testing.... It makes you think about how lucky we are to be part of this sisterhood!

--------------------------------
Marrow drive draws 325
Delta Zeta sorority, American Red Cross unite to help student
By Jon Turner
News Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 23, 2005

More than 300 students gave blood Tuesday for marrow tests, surprising members of the American Red Cross and Delta Zeta sorority who arranged and operated the drive on behalf of third-year psychology student Caroline Terry, who suffers from leukemia.

Terry needs a marrow transplant to finally rid herself of the leukemia driven into remission by heavy chemotherapy, but first she must find a donor, a daunting task when the chances of an individual match are about one in 20,000.

Organizers had only planned for about 100 tests Tuesday, and they quickly found themselves swamped with hundreds of volunteers. Students lounged about the third floor of the Russell House for as long as two hours, killing time during the peak of participation.

The drive received so many volunteers that it ran out of supplies, forcing it to close an hour and a half early.

"It was hard to turn people away," said Christi Woodham, a fourth-year cardiovascular technology student and DZ member.

Woodham said the turnout had been encouraging and that DZ would probably organize another drive mid-March.

"It was good," she said. "We're extremely tired and worn out, but we're happy to have had so many people."

Third-year English student and DZ member Amber Cheek said she had never anticipated such support from the USC student body.

"We didn't have enough brochures," she said. "We had to go back to the American Red Cross to get more brochures. And we ran out of supplies. We had to get more supplies. Juice. We ran out of juice. We ran out of everything, and we were just constantly running around, trying to piece things together."

Cheek said Cocky had played a major role in the drive's success, literally pulling students in off the street for testing.

"People don't care as long as Cocky is there," she said. "He helped us a lot, and then Dr. Sorensen actually showed up, and people wondered, 'What's going on, why is Dr. Sorensen at that table?'"

The drive eventually tested 325 people and accepted about $200 in donations. The testing was expensive, though. The American Red Cross pays for some, but it enforces a strict one-to-one minority-to-Caucasian ratio. Only about 100 of the 325 people tested were minorities, leaving DZ with bills of $65 for each of the 125 disproportionate tests. Any donations they can collect will go toward paying those costs.

Third-year business student Katie Brennan was among the students who volunteered to be tested Tuesday.

"I give blood a lot, and I know it's a one-in-a-million chance, but wouldn't it be cool if I were a match?" she asked.

Brennan said she had never met Terry, but that she was happy to help out any way she could.

Terry, a third-year psychology student, finished a light dose of chemotherapy Wednesday as preparation for a possible marrow transplant. She said people had been calling her all day.

"It makes me happy," she said.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a wonderful story! We're doing a fundraiser soon, maybe we can set aside some money to help the chapter out. Which chapter is it?
Old 02-26-2005, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Carolina

It is my chapter, Beta Delta, at the University of South Carolina...I really really hope we can find Caroline a match.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

A few girls from my chapter went down to donate. I REALLY hope they find a match! If they have a second drive, I'm going to try and go down.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you go to Clemson? Thank your chapter for helping us, please! We really do appreciate every little effort people make for us!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Nope, I go to Winthrop. I think only like 4-5 girls managed to make it down though. I've heard great things about the Clemson girls though! (I've also heard that the USC ones are really welcoming though :-D )
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
TTT

I hope ya'll don't mind me invading!

The chapter at Carolina is having the second annual bone marrow drive March 28 from 12 noon to 6 p.m. at the Russell House.

Unfortunally, Caroline passed away in August.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4656756

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kaj51584 Send a message via Yahoo to kaj51584
I just sent out a donation to the chapter in SC...hoping all goes well and if there is anything else we can do let us know!!!