GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,471
4 members and 1,467 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib, UVASquirrel, willTic

Old 01-31-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to juniebug19
Help finding a multicultural sorority

Hi All.
Myself and a few friends are looking to start a multicultural sorority here at my campus, The University of Texas at El Paso. What I was wondering was if you all know any multicultural sororities that we can found here. We have a Latina Sorority and we also have a couple African-American Sororities, but we would like to found one (national or local, doesn't matter) that would be for all ethnicities. If you all could offer any suggestions, that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Vanessa
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Vanessa, and first off, good luck to you and your friends who want to start something new.

Before anyone else jumps in on this, I might want to offer a clarification. I think that any member of an NPC or NPHC sorority (or other sorority, for that matter) would say that their organizations are "for all ethnicities," at least if that is meant in the sense that they would welcome persons of any ethnicity. While historically membership may have been primarily of one ethnic group or another, I think most sorority members, at least here on GC, would assure you that their orgs would (or should) welcome anyone.

I also think that those GC members who are members of multicultural GLOs would tell you that what defines a GLO as "multicultural" is not that its members are of many ethnicities or that it is open "to all ethnicities," but rather that it has a primary purpose of promoting multiculturalism. You might find this thread helpful on that point: Why do multicultural GLOs/organizations exist?

Beyond that, there are many folks here on GC who should be able to provide you with useful info.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to juniebug19
Well thanks for the clarification, I'll have to check that post out. I was just saying "multicultural" only because the sororities here at my University say that they accept people from all ethnicities, but they don't treat them the same way as they do people of their own race/culture. So I just thought there would be a "multicultural" sorority that might elminate this type of treatment. Thanks anyways.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

i pmed you
Old 02-02-2005, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

You can go to this website www.latinogreeks.com They have a listing of Latino/a and multicultural sororities. You can look at the various organization websites and find one that fits your needs.

Of course I would invite you to check out my organization Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority www.thetanuxi.org

Good luck on your quest
Old 02-02-2005, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

We tried to start a MC sorority, Lambda Psi Delta, my freshman year in college. We had so much difficulty recruiting people that we had give up on it. However, I learned a lot about the org and was impressed. Here's their website. www.lambdapsidelta.org

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
Shoo, I know the feeling. It's so hard to start up anything related to Greek Life on my campus.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Junie,

I just sent you a PM. Good luck on finding a home away from home...you have a wide selection to choose from!