GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 987
0 members and 987 guests
No Members online

Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

In all fairness

Does everyone really think that a new poster to GC has the time to go through every thread on GC to make sure that they aren't duplicating a topic? I understand the desire for fresh topics, but sometimes a topic may be buried on page 30. Do we really expect someone to search through all that just to avoid duplicate topics? Just searching through this forum and the AKA forum alone could turn into a week-long event. lol
Old 12-28-2004, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: In all fairness

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
Does everyone really think that a new poster to GC has the time to go through every thread on GC to make sure that they aren't duplicating a topic? I understand the desire for fresh topics, but sometimes a topic may be buried on page 30. Do we really expect someone to search through all that just to avoid duplicate topics? Just searching through this forum and the AKA forum alone could turn into a week-long event. lol

To answer your question, yes.

It is really not hard to search. There is a search feature that allows you to type in keywords. For instance if you wanted to post about baby shower games, just search shower and you will find a lot of topics.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: In all fairness

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

It is really not hard to search. There is a search feature that allows you to type in keywords. For instance if you wanted to post about baby shower games, just search shower and you will find a lot of topics.
I think BQ has a good point, but I also see the need to minimize duplicate threads.

Are the old threads ever deleted to make more room for new ones? For example, I see a thread that I think is new, start reading it, respond, realize it is from 2001 and see that I posted 3 years ago. Sometimes I have the same answer, other times my perspective had changed.

Can threads older than 2 years be deleted so that if a topic is brought back up again it will be from a fresh perspective?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: In all fairness

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

It is really not hard to search. There is a search feature that allows you to type in keywords. For instance if you wanted to post about <a href="baby%20shower" onmouseover="window.status='baby shower'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">baby shower</a> games, just search shower and you will find a lot of topics.
I just went to the search feature. I didn't realize that it was there, until you just said it. Wow.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: In all fairness

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
I think BQ has a good point, but I also see the need to minimize duplicate threads.

Are the old threads ever deleted to make more room for new ones? For example, I see a thread that I think is new, start reading it, respond, realize it is from 2001 and see that I posted 3 years ago. Sometimes I have the same answer, other times my perspective had changed.

Can threads older than 2 years be deleted so that if a topic is brought back up again it will be from a fresh perspective?
Good idea.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: In all fairness

Quote:

Are the old threads ever deleted to make more room for new ones?

No. All threads on here are saved. I love this about GC. There is another message board I visit that deletes threads after 2 weeks but they get about 1000 nonsense threads started a week.

A lot of threads that are old are valuable, IMO. The topic when bought to the top can still be done so with a fresh perspective by whoever brings it to the top or responds to it.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Now, you don't expect a new poster to have the time to search thru all the threads, but you expect the moderators to have time to search through all the threads and delete the old ones? Is the difference that we are "seasoned" GCers (LOL @ seasoned)?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: In all fairness

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
I think you make a good point here.. when new to a board..one hasn't figured out all the ins and outs of the board..and when you want to get involved, you open a thread just to come back and see it deleted or locked with a message in CAPS about doing a search.

But..at the same time..I do see why the moderators do it..I think older threads show how opinions may change over time..e...I guess moderators just get tired of repeating the same things over and over again..but then again..thats part of their job I guess..
Old 12-28-2004, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
Now, you don't expect a new poster to have the time to search thru all the threads, but you expect the moderators to have time to search through all the threads and delete the old ones? Is the difference that we are "seasoned" GCers (LOL @ seasoned)?
Yes. I mean after all ain't it your full time job as a moderator to monitor the site 24/7/365. Sheesh do your job woman!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes. I mean after all ain't it your full time job as a moderator to monitor the site 24/7/365. Sheesh do your job woman!
Tee-Hee
Old 12-28-2004, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
*snickering*

But if I do that, then people will accuse me of having no life.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Search function

Isn't all that difficult to use, IMO. And I'm glad that NPHC moderators insist on using it, because trust me, you don't want flame wars breaking out because someone couldn't use a search button. I've seen it too many times on this site, in the other rooms.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Search function

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
Isn't all that difficult to use, IMO. And I'm glad that NPHC moderators insist on using it, because trust me, you don't want flame wars breaking out because someone couldn't use a search button. I've seen it too many times on this site, in the other rooms.
flame wars?
Old 12-28-2004, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
^^
Ah, yes. When a question has been answered before (e.g., pledging a GLO not traditionally linked to your race), why do people feel the need to ask it again?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
^^
Ah, yes. When a question has been answered before (e.g., pledging a GLO not traditionally linked to your race), why do people feel the need to ask it again?
Oh okay. Thanks.