GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,153
0 members and 1,153 guests
No Members online

Old 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Greek Week Olympics Ideas

Hey Everyone,

This year as our greek week planning committee is looking to make greek week the best its ever been, we are thinking about adding more variety to the greek sports we play and not have such rigorous but more fun games. Of course we will always keep our flag football and basketball sports in there but what are other fun and less time consuming games/sports that can be played during Greek Week?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
an obstacle course and tug-o-war
Old 12-21-2004, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
We have sillier events, like a keg toss hehe.

See a couple of pictures from last year's Greek Week here!: http://www.cbu.edu/Clubs/AST/greekweek04.html
Old 12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EPTriSigma
We always have a 10 person pyramid competition..... First chapter to make their pyramid and hold it for a chant wins. We also had cram a geo metro where you had to cram as many people into a geo metro as humanly possible. We always have some sort of an eating contest and office chair races. The classic event is the tug of war.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Week is in early April here- so Lake LuVerne on campus is still cold (and it's always disgusting).
So in conjunction with Greek Week is the Polar Bear Swim. When the Greek Week Olympics are over, everyone heads down to the lake.
Donations are raised for the Special Olympics of Iowa, and everyone who raises at least $50 gets to jump in the lake. It's really become a fun & funky event with lots of the participants going to Good Will or consignments shops and having 'outfits' to wear while jumping in the lake.
Some guys wear togas or diapers, some girls dress up like they're going to the ball. Some are dressed like cartoon characters. Others just.. go crazy. I've seen guys covered
in trashbags and ducttape, girls wearing clown suits.

Combines a Greek Community-wide philanthropy event with some old-fashioned fun.

The men of Sigma Pi fraternity, dressed in diapers, jump into Lake LaVerne for the annual Greek Week Polar Bear Plunge Saturday.

Amber Alley, freshman in child, adult and family services and member of the Delta Zeta sorority, comes out of Lake LaVerne after jumping in for the Greek Week Polar Bear Plunge Saturday.

Last edited by IowaStatePhiPsi; 12-21-2004 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well you definately need to do a philanthropy drive of some sort - and if you don't currently have one - make it a competition. Can food drive or something of that nature. Heck, make it a campus-wide event that PR's the Greek Community to the rest of the campus by encouraging them to compete with you prior to Greek Week.

Some other ideas:

Limbo Competition (I'm the two time Greek Week champ and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that!)
Turkey Bowl - not your normal bowling event - frozen turkeys are used to mow down the pins - done outside.
Bike Race We used our Fraternity Circle for this.
Mud Volley Ball Who could resist this campus tradition?!
Greek Sing We didn't do what most normal Universities do we did a skit/song-rewrite for ours. We were given our song two nights before the competition and were required to rewrite the song and incorporate acting/skits with it.
Faculty Recognition Hold a reception for favorite faculty members. Nothing like campus PR to faculty and staff. Each group selects a specific number of honorees and a small number of each GLO to attend.
Izzy Dizzy Slip and Slide Another personal favoite. lol Put a baseball bat to your forehead and keep to the ground - go 10 times around one way, 10 the other and run 5 yards to the slip and slide and see who makes it the furthest. I got lots of laughs out of this one.
Variety Show If they other thing I mentioned didn't work - you could do a variety show where there are different entry groups and each GLO could enter as many as they want - Battle of the Bands, Dance, etc.

I'll ponder more ideas
Old 12-23-2004, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Huge fan here - but a 5k/3k walk race. It's a great way to get the wider, outside-of-campus community involved. Let the local road runner or runners' club know about the event. Here in Essex County, NJ we have a huge running community and Pitt's old 5k race got a decent city community turnout.

Just check out permits and stuff - this is particularly a nice event if you have a pretty campus. Pitt's built into a hill so its a great, challenging run but if you're campus is flat and shady, that can be great and relaxing on a Saturday morning!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Thumbs up Takeshi's Castle !!

I am just dying to see one school or group to finally bring back the fun of that TV show. Takeshi's Castle just had some of the coolest and funniest games and activities that in my opinion would entertain anyone in the greek olympics.

Check out this site if you haven't seen the show, I think he describes the details of most of the show...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.kempthorne/Takeshi/

Lol, General Hyati Tani, it will take someone with a good sense of humor to imitate that man.

Just a couple excerpts from the site, if I may:

Bite The Bun - all volunteers have their hands tied behind their back and have to basically grab a bun using their mouth which is hanging from above. Once you have a bun you have to run through the finish line and you progress to the next round. There are only 82 buns though.

Catch It - 10 volunteers are dressed in giant baseball suits and each of them have a baseball glove. A ball is simply hit towards them in the air and the one who catches it (if any) are through to the next round.

Well, that's my two cents, but I doubt anyone has the balls to try these stunts out

RUgreek
Old 12-31-2004, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a Fun Jumps place in town that usually donates some games for our Greek Olympics. We usually get:
Tricycles
Sumo suits
Big Feet (3 people strap to 2 large feet to race with other teams)
(- - -)
(- - -)
Joust
I don't know this just sounds confusing. But it is great to have these things donated so it doesn't come out of the Greek Affairs Funds.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh! Chubby Bunny
Stuff cheeks with marshmallows one at a time then say Chubby Bunny. The team that gets the most marshmallow in the mouth and can still talk wins!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh we have a swamp on campus and we do a canoe race in it. Also we go to the University Pool and do a few things. Mud Volleyball is always fun.