GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,403
1 members and 1,402 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-03-2004, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Mitch Albom's The 5 People You Meet In Heaven

This movie will be on Sunday night on ABC at 8:00 p.m. starring Jon Voight.

An elderly maintenance worker dies and awakens in heaven, where strangers and loved ones take him on a journey back through his life. Based on the book by Mitch Albom.

Cast: Jon Voight, Ellen Burstyn, Jeff Daniels, Michael Imperioli, Callum Keith Rennie, Rebecca Jenkins, Dagmara Dominczyk, Steve Grayhm .
Director(s): Lloyd Kramer.

BOOK SUMMARY
Amazon.com
Part melodrama and part parable, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven weaves together three stories, all told about the same man: 83-year-old Eddie, the head maintenance person at Ruby Point Amusement Park. As the novel opens, readers are told that Eddie, unsuspecting, is only minutes away from death as he goes about his typical business at the park. Albom then traces Eddie's world through his tragic final moments, his funeral, and the ensuing days as friends clean out his apartment and adjust to life without him. In alternating sections, Albom flashes back to Eddie's birthdays, telling his life story as a kind of progress report over candles and cake each year. And in the third and last thread of the novel, Albom follows Eddie into heaven where the maintenance man sequentially encounters five pivotal figures from his life (a la A Christmas Carol). Each person has been waiting for him in heaven, and, as Albom reveals, each life (and death) was woven into Eddie's own in ways he never suspected. Each soul has a story to tell, a secret to reveal, and a lesson to share. Through them Eddie understands the meaning of his own life even as his arrival brings closure to theirs.
Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

Good Morning America asked today: What do you think heaven will be like? Now if you do not believe in heaven and hell, that's fine. Just refrain from answering the question.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 12-03-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

When I read the book, it seemed very plausible to me.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-03-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Mitch Albom's The 5 People You Meet In Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
Good Morning America asked today: What do you think heaven will be like? Now if you do not believe in heaven and hell, that's fine. Just refrain from answering the question.
I think Heaven will be just like Earth, only without all the hassle and problems. I think that everyone will "live" in one of God's many mansions and be surrounded by their loved ones. Heaven will be just like a nonstop vacation. We will be able to chill and relax with no concept of time and responsibility. You get to learn everything that you ever wanted to know. I feel like the answers to all of life's questions will be revealed. There will be great celebrations everytime someone new enters the Gates. There (of course) would be no crime, bills, stress, financial difficulties, etc. It will be a beautiful place.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
My idea of heaven would be this:

I would play with my baby in the yard of my mansion

I would sit with my great grandmother and watch the soaps. The story line would wrap up everyday, not dragged out to infinity like they are on Earth.

I would ride in the front seat with my grandfather in his big brown Cadillac.

Of course no crime, no sadness, no pain, no misery, no bills.

An emergency client has shown up. I'll be back later.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Paradise359
I think that heaven will be dependant on what heaven is to you. That is if having a large mansion & nice cars is heaven to you, you will have that in heaven. If having a cute home with a '66 bug is your idea, that's what it'll be. You will wish for nothing. As sooh as you think of it, it is. Perfection. No worries