GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,144
5 members and 1,139 guests
MTSUGURL, SweetHomeStL, Xidelt

Old 12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
wreckingcrew

What is the proper attire for......

Alright, so, goin to semiformal with the SNu chapter here in Omaha this Saturday. Sunday, the girl i'm dating and i are going to check out "Noises Off" here at the University Theatre.

My question is this, what is the proper attire for a Sunday afternoon matinee at a University theatre? Khakis and a button-down? Nice pants and a dress shirt? Jeans too informal? Don't forget, this is South-Da-FREAKIN-Kota and it's butt-ass cold here. I don't want to look like a cretin, but don't want to be overdressed for a Sunday afternoon.

Please, hit me with your thoughts.

KS 361
Old 12-01-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I have always felt that jeans are a no-no regardless of location, time of day, or caliber of perfromers. To me, it's a way of showing respect to the performers. I'm a dancer and I know I feel that way about my audience members. I also would personally never attend the theatre in anything less than a skirt/blouse combo, and usualy a dress - even the kid's dance recitals I attend. BUT, that's probably the artist in me.

So I would say given your situation, khakis and button down are fine, though I think you'd be best in the slacks/dress shirt option - and I'm sure your date would like that option, too!

Have fun!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is an idea. Maybe the button down shirt with the dress Khakis and then put on a sweater over the shirt. Then it takes care of being you being cold and not having to carry around a coat. Then if its really cold you can wear a nice fleece scarf and some matching gloves.

Hey, and if you still don't know what to wear, ask one of your brothers what he is wearing(someone you knows how to dress). Thats what brothers are for, right?

Have a great time!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Seeing that it is a matinee, I wouldn't suggest anything too dressy (but not jeans). I think you should go for a button-down and khakis. Have fun!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Re: What is the proper attire for......

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361
Alright, so, goin to semiformal with the SNu chapter here in Omaha this Saturday. Sunday, the girl i'm dating and i are going to check out "Noises Off" here at the University Theatre.

My question is this, what is the proper attire for a Sunday afternoon matinee at a University theatre? Khakis and a button-down? Nice pants and a dress shirt? Jeans too informal? Don't forget, this is South-Da-FREAKIN-Kota and it's butt-ass cold here. I don't want to look like a cretin, but don't want to be overdressed for a Sunday afternoon.

KS 361

If it's anything like it is here (and it probably is pretty similar to, say, Drake), you'll see the full frigging spectrum. Everything from sweaters and khakis to full-on suits to even a couple people in jeans and button-downs. It really depends on how far to one end or the other you want to be - even on a sunday afternoon it'll be all over the place.

I would probably do slacks and a dress shirt, possibly bringing the jacket along as well (but no tie), but you'll be fine in khakis and a button-down as well most likely.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What is the proper attire for......

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361

KS 361
I would go with kakhis and a button down; a sweater over the button down would probably be fine as well (and would help with the bitter cold).
Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: What is the proper attire for......

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
I would go with kakhis and a button down; a sweater over the button down would probably be fine as well (and would help with the bitter cold).
This seems correct.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:30 PM
wreckingcrew

Thanks y'all.

KS 361
Old 12-01-2004, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

No comment on attire, but "Noises Off" is one of the funniest plays I've ever seen. Have fun! It was also made into a movie which was pretty good.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:59 PM
wreckingcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaedyKD
No comment on attire, but "Noises Off" is one of the funniest plays I've ever seen. Have fun! It was also made into a movie which was pretty good.
Yeah, i loved the movie. My high school drama teacher used to let us watch it every so often in our theatre classes. It was also his favorite to show us the nights before we had One Act Competitions, as kinda a way to relax our nerves .

When i saw that the University players were going to do it i was like i HAVE to take Ash to that. She's never seen the movie, so i hope that she'll enjoy it. Looking back at the movie, it's kind of hard to believe that John Ritter and Chris Reeve are both no longer with us. They were great in it.

KS 361

Last edited by wreckingcrew; 12-01-2004 at 10:34 PM.