Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,483
3 members and 1,480 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 11-09-2004, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Ridiculous "Sports Bra" Controversy at the University of Alberta

I am sure that everyone is familiar with the famous, if unsexy, photo of Brandi Chastain in her sports bra here.

Well, here is the tale in THE NATIONAL POST:
EDMONTON - The University of Alberta Pandas volleyball players are willing to make their point about the female body. Even if it costs them a point every time they do it.

The team is flouting new rules established for Canada West university volleyball that forbid them from changing from warm-up T-shirts into game uniforms at courtside. Doing so leaves them momentarily exposed in their sports bras.

"Maybe it makes people uncomfortable -- maybe it does in our own gym as well. I don't know," said 22-year-old Panda Janna Konihowski. "But we aren't ashamed of our bodies. Should we be? Should we be hiding in the corner?"

The Pandas have paid for their stand on the scoreboard, penalized the opening point of each match last week in a two-game sweep over the University of Saskatchewan. In last night's match against Simon Fraser University however, a sympathetic referee, Arch Beck, refused to levy the penalty.

"I think it's a stupid rule, and I won't do it," Mr. Beck said during a time-out, adding that SFU coach Lisa Sulatycki accepted his decision. "The [conference] has informed the coaches of their decision, but they didn't inform us in time. I was forwarded an e-mail, but not promptly enough."

The Pandas will continue to change at courtside until an arrangement is. After a 45-minute warm-up, players peel off sweaty T-shirts to reveal sports bras.

"We stand there, take off our T-shirts quickly, put on our uniforms quickly, go into a little huddle, and talk before the game starts," Ms. Konihowski said.

To read the rest, just go to the link....... I personally don't understand how people can get their knickers in a twist over this but whudevah.....

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 11-09-2004 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Give me a dern break.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Has the person who made this stupid rule ever been to a beach?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kappaloo
Has the person who made this stupid rule ever been to a beach?
Or an aerobics class?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah....good ol' Canada West !! Always have to be disturbing something!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:14 PM
ADPiZXalum

That would have to go into my "stupid" file.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember going to guard camp in high school and being on IL State University Campus and most of the 200 of us were in sports bras.....they did draw the line though at those ladies who were NOT wearing sports bras (yes, some did try to just wear regular bras...)
Old 11-09-2004, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
they should get rid of their locker rooms and encourage them to change completely, maybe shower on the sidelines.

After all, they aren't ashamed of their bodies, and I bet attendace at games would go up
Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
wreckingcrew

Wow, this is happening in CANADA??

I thought that Canada was the last bastion of free thought, devoid of influence from conservative and religious types like down here in "Jesusland"?

I'm shocked!

KS 361
Old 11-09-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Ummm...it's a sportsbra.....sportsbras don't exactly expose all that much.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361
Wow, this is happening in CANADA??

I thought that Canada was the last bastion of free thought, devoid of influence from conservative and religious types like down here in "Jesusland"?

I'm shocked!

KS 361
Our own Jesusland is Alberta where the current Conservative government is under attack by the far-right for not being conservatve enough They've even gotten help and funding from some folks down south (now your campaign is over). We tend to ignore the ranting from that province on most things.... unless it's good for a laugh... such as the infamous Stockwell Day iniative:

The leader of the Alliance Party (far-right) tried to pass an ammendment were it was only neccessary for 3% of the total population to vote in passing a referendum... a comedy show liked the idea so much, that a national referendum was prosposed by the show that the leader of the Alliance, Stockwell Day, officially have his first name changed to Doris.... and the show got double the votes needed according to the proposed ammendment to referendum rules.... needless to say the Alliance dropped the ammendment.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"