GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,218
2 members and 1,216 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 207thLRRP
Question Trying to get our charter

I'm from Colony 331 at the University of Alaska-Anchorage. Here's the situation. Currently the greek system is relatively new on this campus, there's still not a lot of support from the school or our local alumni. Also the brothers who began the colony three years ago left it stagnant, then either graduated or left state...really leaving us to do all the work. Now nationals has given us about a year to do EVERYTHING and get chaptered.

There only about five participating brothers currently, six left school because of grades, a few graduated, and a few left because their buddies left school....basically leaving us holding the bag. We've recruited about 9 AM's but are having trouble keeping their interest because we've had to be so focused on getting chaptered. Also, UAA won't let us have a house so we don't have a central location to have events or even get together. This is our situation, the few of us there are have worked our asses off to make this happen and are stressed out, any advice other brothers can give would be a huge help!

Thanks,

Joel
Old 10-20-2004, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is a tip, why dont you tell everyone what it is you are supposed to do as goals.

Raise money?
Get ritual equipment? (please do not discuss in detail)
Get a High Pi?

You're stressed out, have no house, and 14 members and have to do something (s) in the next year. That is about all anybody knows, fill in the blanks.

Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

207thLRRP, or Joel,

I am perfectly aware of your situation as I spent time with and still do crmdogge=Josh Vandergriff of G C Site. I am also aware of a member who was at General Assembly and the situation there.

I was one of the main stays who argued to extend Colony Status for one more year.

As lenoxx says, fill in some holes, but be discreat about what is placed on an open forum.

I am sure that there is not a Brother here that you could not email/PM from GC that will not be very willing to help

First off, from what I understand about UAA, dont worry about a house unless you can find one to rent that does not drain finances. If not, try to find an appartment complex or Dorm if available that all Members can live on and together. There are a lot more out there than you can beleive that do not have a house that they are paying for and buying.

Solidify your recruitment and keep recruiting, you may be trying to sell LXA, but, you need to sell yourselves and what you are beleiving in and why.

I think that at least 3/4s of the LXA are Alums on GC, but that just means we have all be throught trials and tribulations of some kind.

I founded a local.

lenoxxx was instrumental in getting a house purchased.

Jono, never had a house, they all lived in a dorm.

The storys are just what happens and the problems that have been over come to acheive a goal.

We are here to help if we can, that is why we are here!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-20-2004, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Our two big issues are recruiting and getting alumni involved.

With respect to recruiting, we do recruit constantly, however, it has been a constant challange to keep guys motivated for the greek system on this campus. UAA has typically been a commuter campus and has just recently taken on a more tradional role....at a very slow pace however. Many guys are from the local area, and simply don't see a reason to "pay for friends" when they have they guys they're grown up with right next door. Also, unfortunately Alaska is not known for having a budding social atmosphere and it reflects in the attitudes of the students.

With the alumni, we only have three local so far who have graduated. One participates when he has time, another moved out of state and dropped off the face of the planet so to speak, and the other's wife won't let him participate anymore, LOL. We had a High Pi, but he recently expressed that he no longer had an interest in holding the position due to his working situation. Many of the other alumni here have also expressed little interest in participating.

Most of our other requirements are met, if we can solve these issues, we will be golden for our charter.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My advice is to

#1- Find a person who wants to be an advisor, surely there are some lonely whalers or eskimos up there that would love to hang out with some younger guys at a college. Instead of looking to your 3 alumni brothers, go generate a new alumni brother.

#2- Start initiating the people you have now, and then keep recruiting. Get some kind of apartment where you can do stuff, anything to make it an experience. Throw a party perhaps, crazy I know....

You have 5 brothers and 9 am's, run with it.

Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Joel, okay, you answered some questions! OK!

Yes, I for one am aware of the situation of where you are, the Come visit campus and go home studies. KAY Roadie School, no House as would not work! KAY!

BUY FRIENDS, Does Idiocy sound familiar.???

We as GLOs get this all of the time untill some of the Naysayers say that. Some join not only Fraternitys, Sororitys, Latino-GLOs, and Multi-GLOs.

It is not buying Friends, it is gaining Brothers/Sisters. Not for 4-5 years, but for a life time.

Have some contact me or anyothers on site.

I have been doing this for almost 40 years. I never paid for My Brothers as We still keep in touch as is being done on G C!

As # 1, of course everyone came after me. But some of my best Friends are not just who I associate with, but say, # 19, or # 54, or a say # 259? Well, the Numbers still can go upward, say # 599?

Ask them come on GreeChat.com and check LXA Thread. We may fight like hell, but if there is a need, there is someone here to help.

Where can they get that?

Cool, Leave College, Graduate College, but what has one gained, a Degree. Does this say the same thing with Say LXA and you have Brothers All of The Country, USA and Canada. Go to work some place, Business want to Hire People from Greek Organizations. Why, because, We are more Grown up and acclimed to what is going on in the world. Many of The Greek People become Officers and Run an Opperation that has many things about it:

Budget, Finances, Recruitment, Econonimics, Advertising, Merchandising, And Social.

Does that sound familiar?

That is what not buying your Friends is all about!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-20-2004, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Tom
Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey 207,
Good luck with everything. Could you please clarify something for me though. Currently you are a colony. If you don't get a charter and become a chapter you will lose colony status and everything else? Is that the way it works?

Why can't everyone simply rent out a house near campus? Or maybe reserve dorm rooms on the same floor? Just a suggestion. But keep working hard and it will work out!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by 207thLRRP
Our two big issues are recruiting and getting alumni involved.

With respect to recruiting, we do recruit constantly, however, it has been a constant challange to keep guys motivated for the greek system on this campus. UAA has typically been a commuter campus and has just recently taken on a more tradional role....at a very slow pace however. Many guys are from the local area, and simply don't see a reason to "pay for friends" when they have they guys they're grown up with right next door. Also, unfortunately Alaska is not known for having a budding social atmosphere and it reflects in the attitudes of the students.

With the alumni, we only have three local so far who have graduated. One participates when he has time, another moved out of state and dropped off the face of the planet so to speak, and the other's wife won't let him participate anymore, LOL. We had a High Pi, but he recently expressed that he no longer had an interest in holding the position due to his working situation. Many of the other alumni here have also expressed little interest in participating.

Most of our other requirements are met, if we can solve these issues, we will be golden for our charter.
Okay some of this I think I can help you with... coming from a campus that was 95% commuter students and next to no social scene....

First off with low numbers strains are going to be placed on the guys when it comes to recruiting... so make sure to be there for each other when the stress of school and Fraternity get to ya

Now for recruitment the here are the big things in selling all the benifits of the Fraternity, because as they say brotherhood is hard to explain to those who haven't experienced it:
*A social better than what the community offers.
*Academic scholarships and contacts for those who go to grad school
*Possible business contacts through out North America
*A bond with thousands of others across North America
*A chance to improve themselves and their community through their involvement

When recruiting the second biggest thing for a commuter school is the follow-up and communication - because of the competing interests that many students have you have to keep the Fraternity on their mind... so follow-up contacts with PNM will help them feel conected to the Fraternity. This communitcation effort should also be made during the school year for actives, and especially during the downtimes like summer - a great way is by creating a e-mail group.

As for alumni invovlement... the advice already given about finding a "honourary" Alum, perhaps a faculty member or community member that would be interested in helping out.

Finally keep the lines of communication with IHQ and the great LCA community open... it'll help us to help you.

Good Luck

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 10-21-2004, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crmdogg03
I would have to say the situation is less harsh than Joel makes it out to be. While we may have only 5 brothers participating at a HIGH level, the others contribute in some way or another, financially, ect. We have brothers who do not attend school whom help out at good levels, which is nice. I am a firm believer not everyone will be die hard for the fraternity, and need all sorts of interest levels within. I think it is frustrating that a few people have do to all of the work. On paper as far as our standards go, we are doing well, its just a matter of keeping things running that is the challenge.

IMO, the main reason recruiting is a challenge, is that NO ONE goes to UAA looking for a fraternity, WE have to kick ass and put alotta effort into it, its a matter of putting the effort in, without expecting anything in return, and not being afraid of failure.

ALMOST no one goes to UAA just for school, fulltime, with having their priority level as 1.School, 2.Fraternity, which is difficult to a point.

I have great hopes for the future of Lambda Chi Alpha at UAA, and i think with the work/dedication of our colony, we will be charterd.

-Josh V
Old 10-21-2004, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Joel~
You may not be able to afford to get a house in Anchorage near the campus, but why not have members sign up to live together in Templewood? Templewood is HUGE & spacious, and even has laundry, a fireplace, and a heated garage. Since there are three levels you can have events and keep the bedrooms closed off since they are on the third floor and the doors close with a card lock. At the very least brothers could sign up together and live in a MAC apartment. If I remember right housing will let people do room changes or move in mid year, so it is worth looking into.

As far as finding an advisor, I can think of a few male professors I had that I will be happy to pass on their names to you. II know they care about students as they've gone out of their way for me and others, and are genuinely interested in the students at UAA. Between all of the current members there is likely a faculty or admin member that would be happy to advise, they just need to be asked.

Good Luck!

P.S. If you're doing anything for the Food Drive make sure to ask the grocery managers at all the Fred Meyer locations, including Wasilla & Eagle River. They gave me hundreds and hundreds of cans when I asked.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

re: alumni support

One strategy you might consider for getting active alumni
support when there are so few alumni around:

Recruit a couple of univ. faculty/staff members or other local
"old guys" who are not LX's. Convince them that LXA is worth
being involved with, then initiate them as HONORARY members.
You'll have to go thru a separate process with IHQ,
but if you find a couple of real good guys, it shouldn't be a
problem.

HONORARY initiates often make fantastic alumni members....
our chapter has had great success with this.

One of the
most "Lambda Chi" of all Lambda Chis was Ralph Curry
of Gtown...initated as an honorary/faculty member in
the mid 50's, he served as High Pi for 33 years and was
awarded Order of Merit in 1972. I've heard
it said that, even at IHQ in the 60's and 70's, if you want to
know how to be a High Pi, check out Ralph Curry! (Was
that Lynn Chipperfield that told me that??)

And as I mentioned on another post, we made an honorary
initiate of a faculty member in the early 70's. After a few
years, he became a faculty member at another college
where he helped start or re-start a chapter and served
as High Pi for decades....he was just awarded the Order
of Merit.

Good luck!

in ZAX,
Kevin Joiner
Old 10-21-2004, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
I definately agree about Honorary Inititates. I think that you should be able to find an interested Professor somewhere on campus. BTW if you guys ever want to come back down for initiation you're always welcome here. We really enjoyed it Fall 2002.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

J V, glad to see you take a break and give us a Post!

Have conversed With Joel. Take a DIP, and kick back for a bit!

Remember, there is a lot of backing for The Brothers up in the hinter land of 331!

Take heed to a lot of the advice, sit down with Joel and All of the Brothers there about what He and I discussed and all of the posts here on GC!

Just Remember, You Brothers are not all alone up there.

Alone, We are one, but as a Brotherhood We are many!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-22-2004, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hey thanks guys, you're advice is awesome. aurora_borealis, you go to UAA? If you know of any profs that might be interested, I like to chat with them and see if they're interested.

This forum is awesome guys, it's really motivating to know that we can get support and advice from brothers from other areas. Keep the advice coming and myself and Josh V. will keep you guys posted with our progress.

in ZAX

Joel