GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,283
0 members and 1,283 guests
No Members online

Old 10-03-2004, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow rush before class starts?!

what happens if rush starts before classes? do you stay in a house for that week or rent a hotel room? where would you stay for that week? i'm just asking b/c i thought i saw that FSU's rush started August 15th but classes didn't start till later.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: rush before class starts?!

Quote:
Originally posted by LauGh A Lot
what happens if rush starts before classes? do you stay in a house for that week or rent a hotel room? where would you stay for that week? i'm just asking b/c i thought i saw that FSU's rush started August 15th but classes didn't start till later.
At my alma mater, the dorms opened early for recruitment.

ETA: As well as athletes (but aren't PNMs and athletes the same thing? . )

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

That's how it's done at Auburn as well.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 PM

My school used to do recruitment before classes started in the fall.

There wasn't enough room in the dorms to accommodate the entire freshman class plus transfers plus the sophs through seniors who lived in the dorms. (At the time, freshmen who pledged fraternities immediately moved into the house.) So every freshman and transfer got a temporary room somewhere in the dormitory system.

Sophs and up had to apply for early returns - permission to move into their dorms before rush. There were a limited number of spots available. You were guaranteed an early return if you were an associate advisor for a group of freshmen or if you were an orientation leader. You could apply for an early return (but you might not get it) if you were on a sports team (because practice started before rush), participating in dorm rush (more on this later), or participating in sorority rush (rho chi's automatically got early returns; affilliated women might or might not).

Fraternity, sorority, and dorm rush happened simultaneously. Dorm rush consisted of visiting each of the dorms, taking tours, meeting residents, etc. before you turned in a rank-ordered list of where you'd like to live.

Once rush ended, all freshmen men who had pledged fraternities moved into their houses. All other freshmen moved to their new dorms and got their room assignments. Then, sophs and up who did not have early returns could start moving in.

There was no extra fee for staying the extra week in the dorms, though of course you were responsible for your meals. (Although, any freshman who has to pay for a meal during rush is doing something wrong. )
Old 10-03-2004, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

usually, larger schools have rush before school starts. not all of them are like this though. University of Florida and University of Central Florida have rush before school starts too.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
that just boggles my mind. We don't rush till winter quarter. We start rush the first week back from winter break (first week of Jan) and all PNMs are pledging by the end of january.

ALTHOUGH! Rho Chi applications went out this week (i hope I'm selected!) and we start signing girls up tomorrow for recrutiment.