Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,096
1 members and 1,095 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2004, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought I was the only one doing this!

I can't believe how fortunate I am to have found this wonderful forum! Until now I thought I was perhaps the only one pursuing alumnae membership! It is such a thrill to meet you all and I look forward to getting to know you! Here's my story - it's so similar to others I've read in this forum:

A little over ten years ago I went through the formal fall recruitment process and I immediately felt a connection to XYZ. It was the very first house I visited on the first day of “rush”, and it immediately made an impact on me. I was so nervous and not at all sure what to expect, and I ended up meeting the nicest, most down-to-earth people. XYZ set the standard for me that day for the rest of that week, and I remember how disappointed and uncomfortable I felt when I visited the next house on that first day and didn’t experience the same level of camaraderie!

XYZ was my top choice that whole week of rush. I very much looked forward to visiting there and seeing the smiling, friendly faces of the young women I was meeting. I ended up attending Preference Night at XYZ on the final night of rush, and I am almost certain (though one can never know) that I would have received an invitation to join because everything had clicked so much between us that week, and it just felt “right”. Unfortunately, I decided to drop out of rush that last night. I struggled hard with my decision that evening, but in the end, I was worried about making what seemed like such a big commitment at the time (my Rho Chis repeatedly mentioned how this decision was “for a lifetime”). I’ve regretted that decision on some level ever since. I can still remember walking out of the Greek office that last night – I can even remember where I was – and I remember feeling deep feelings of regret and disappointment. I never really shook that feeling as time went on. I always wondered, “What if?”

I considered going through fall rush again the following year, but I was unsure if it would be appropriate or silly, and since I had originally gone through rush as a sophomore, I worried that as a junior I might be “too old”. I was still friendly with the XYZs I had met through rush (i.e. we talked and said hi to each other when we saw each other around campus), but I was a little bit shy back then and perhaps didn’t pursue or convey my interest very directly to them.

Nearly four years ago I began researching XYZ on the internet and by requesting copies of their national magazine to determine whether or not XYZ had some kind of alumnae membership program. The fact that I was told I was “like an XYZ” once again that year had planted a seed in my mind. I did make and have maintained contact with them over the past couple of years, but for various reasons (I've moved a couple of times in the past few years and returned to school for another degree) I haven't pursued it diligently and consistently. But that's OK - good things take time, and from reading others' experiences on this forum, I'm relieved to hear that's typical.

Anyway, I recently have been in touch with XYZ again, and it's all very positive. Unfortunately there have been some changes and I'll need to contact/re-introduce myself for the third time to a new person at their HQ, but again, that's fine! I look forward to sharing my experiences with you...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome!!

Like you, I stumbled across GreekChat one fine day in 2001 and found this forum. I too was surprised to find others pursuing AI! I'm glad you found us! Everyone has been very supportive of each other and we're always glad to welcome more people into our midst!

Feel free to ask questions!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 09-13-2004, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Welcome! You are definitely NOT the only one who did AI, as you noticed by Navane's thread!

Feel free to ask any questions and good luck
Old 09-13-2004, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Wecome! I too stumbled onto GreekChat and I couldn't BELIEVE that you could be initiated as an alum! It's been a dream come true for me. Don't be shy about asking questions. We are glad to help.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
What she said. Until I found GC, I thought it would just remain a dream/wish

Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer
Wecome! I too stumbled onto GreekChat and I couldn't BELIEVE that you could be initiated as an alum! It's been a dream come true for me. Don't be shy about asking questions. We are glad to help.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Hi Lake!

I also thought that I wouldn't have the opportunity to join past college either! I am so excited about the process, and am enjoying my experiences so far.

Good luck!

Cheryl

PNAM 2004

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 09-14-2004, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I look forward to sharing with you all in the future.

My first question pertains to my "home" chapter, should the day ever arrive (fingers crossed) that I'm initiated. I would like to be initiated in the city where I was living when I began pursuing this (in 2000). That's where my interest was renewed and where so many people I met told me I was "like an XYZ".

Is is standard procedure to be initiated in the chapter nearest to you? Is that required? I would fully support the fraternity closest to me after initiation, but want to be "affiliated" with another. Hope that makes sense...
Old 09-14-2004, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only speak for Gamma Phi Beta.

Normally you are initiated at the chapter closest to you that you plan to be supporting. It would take special permission and red tape removal to do it through another chapter (if even that worked) for reasons related to membership selection.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with your AI!!! I look forward to hearing all about your adventure!!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The very best of luck to you in your search.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks SmartBlonde, that's what I thought, and that's fine. Who knows? I may even end up moving back to that city (Denver) if the right job opportunity comes along! I really liked it there. I had to leave when the "dot com" bubble burst.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome, Lake! You'll find lots of support and information here. I just love GC, and I CANNOT WAIT for the day when I can display some AI letters in my signature.

LM

Be a Volunteer!