GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,301
3 members and 1,298 guests
Cookiez17, Zach

Old 07-30-2004, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chelly
Question Unlv

Does anyone here know how big and involved the Greek system at the University of Nevada Las Vegas is? My boyfriend doesn't know if he want's to go through frat rush, and I'm trying to convince him to, because he is very social and I think he would have a good time with the guys.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to opaldragon
Chelly, feel free to PM me with questions about UNLV Greek Life. I've been part of the system since Spring '02 and could definitely give you some insight.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

greek life is kinda small here. We have 25,000 students and only 5 sororities and like 15 fraternities ( not sure of the exact count). Only one chapter has a house, Sigma Chi. Although we are small I would say we are pretty tight knit community. Also because we are a commuter campus the only way to get a semi-traditional college experience is to join greek life. The majority of the students go to class and go home, except those who live in the dorms, but they move off campus quick and then fall into the same commuter style as everyone else. We also hold the majority of the positions in student government ( i can't remember the last time the student body president wasn't greek).
Old 07-30-2004, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to opaldragon
ATO has a house as well.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely forgot about the ATO house, which is fairly new (not a new house but new for them)
Old 09-15-2007, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
I believe there are more than 5 sororities at UNLV. I attend UNR and I am the president of the MGC there and I know there are MGC orgs there which are exactly the same as Panhellenics so they should not be discounted. Typically the only difference between MGC's and other organizations is that they try to bring more events relating to diversity to their campus. Also anyone that doesnt find the right fit for them at a campus is always encouraged to bring one onto the campus.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzera View Post
I believe there are more than 5 sororities at UNLV. I attend UNR and I am the president of the MGC there and I know there are MGC orgs there which are exactly the same as Panhellenics so they should not be discounted. Typically the only difference between MGC's and other organizations is that they try to bring more events relating to diversity to their campus. Also anyone that doesnt find the right fit for them at a campus is always encouraged to bring one onto the campus.
FYI...you're replying to posts from 2004 so I'm sure that the info provided in them are probably outdated.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzera View Post
Typically the only difference between MGC's and other organizations is that they try to bring more events relating to diversity to their campus.
I would highly dispute this. There are MAJOR differences between the LGLOs, MCGLOs, etc. that are on the UNLV campus and the traditional greek organizations, and these differences are not limited to "bringing more events related to diversity." In my opinion, it is not that simple, and I would hate for anyone interested in one of these organizations to think that the differences are limited to diversity-related programming only.

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 09-15-2007 at 01:58 PM.