GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,346
0 members and 1,346 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2004, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
High School Sororities/Frats

Do you know of any sororities/frats that are part of high school, rather than college? There were some sororities around when I was in HS, so I wondered if there were any experiences similar to mine.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc.

The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority is an organization that prepares young women for society, stressing the importance of education and social grace.

Every spring young girls make their debut to the world as debutantes via debutante balls or cotillions. Many times debutante balls are sponsored by churches, women's groups or schools. The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority has taken the concept of the debutante ball and created a junior sorority for girls ages 10-17 years of age. The girls meet year round and their spring debutante ball is their flagship event.

The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority was founded in 1999 by Andreia Smith-Lipscomb. The sorority prepares young women for society, stressing the importance of education and social grace. Andreia herself has been a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority for nearly 20 years so she has much insight on sorority life.

Not every young woman can be a debutante. Dozens of young girls apply to become potential pledges for the junior sorority, but only a handful are chosen. The girls with the best grades and who are socially graceful are chosen. The chosen ones also must know how to work in a group.

The potential debutantes who are chosen to be pledges come out as sisters during the spring debutante ball.

The amazing thing about the Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority are the life skills that the young women learn. The girls meet weekly throughout the year. The girls themselves take part in every phase of the planning for all of their events-including the debutante ball. The girls have their say about choosing the venue and even the menu for the event.

In weekly meetings, the girls plan their events and the meeting itself is conducted by the junior officers. Ms. Siera English is the current president of the sorority and she is also the current Miss SAQ. Every year one girl who exceeds expectations and goes above and beyond is crowned Miss SAQ. Although, Siera is president, all of the officers play important roles in making sure that the goals of the sorority are met. The founder, Mrs. Lipscomb, her Dean of Pledgees and other mothers are often present at meetings, but it is really the girls who make things happen.

The girls have appeared at the Norfolk State Homecoming Parade in the past and plan to participate in more parades in the future. They also plan shopping trips as fund raisers and visit college campuses. Like traditional sororities, the girls also do community service from time to time. Although, the Sisters of Alpha Omega is a social group, education is a strong foundation of the organization. The founder, Mrs. Smith-Lipscomb has three higher education degrees and her dean of pledgees also two higher education degrees.

These young ladies have an advantage over other young women when they head to college. If they choose to join a sorority, they already have some idea of the responsibility of being a sorority member.

The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority is based in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Currently, they are the only social group in the Hampton Roads area that has a sit down dinner debutante ball. You can visit them on the web at www.sistersofalphaomega.com. Visit their web site to view pictures and to learn more about their organization.

If you are interested in becoming a debutante in your area, talk to other young women who may have been debutantes in the past. These organizations often don't advertise so many times you have to scout them out or have the right connections. Being a debutante is a wonderful experience, having the opportunity to wear a white gown and to waltz in front of your family and friends. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

If their are no organizations in your area that offer debutante balls or cotillions, talk to a family member, your church or a person who is active in your community. Chances are if you find a dedicated person, you may be able to help coordinate a debutante ball in your area. Also, if you are interested in starting a chapter of The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority in your area, please visit their web site and contact the organization for additional information.

Be sure to visit the official web site for The Sisters of Alpha Omega Sorority at http://www.sistersofalphaomega.com

Old 07-18-2004, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
there is Delta Beta Sigma...it's a high school sorority. I know they have a few chapters in Arkansas, and in other states as well.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to piphimaggie
being a member of a HS sorority renders you ineligible for pledgeship into PiPhi....as well as several other National sororities if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Actually, being in a "high school sorority" is regarded as simply another activity. Depending upon the goals of that organization, it can be a good preparation for being in a university-based GLO. It has no bearing on eligibility to pledge Pi Beta Phi... only pledging another NPC collegiate group would make someone ineligible.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to piphimaggie
hmm, odd...I was told otherwise.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
what is the point of the HS sorority? It more important to focus on education. I was in yearbook, honor clubs, and other clubs that promote education and diversity. It was so much fun. I can see potential hazing or "clique/elite" status. Even the cheerleaders at my school didnt have any status, you too could become a cheerleader if you have 500 dollars and time/ride to the games.

Anyways, where do they have them in the south???
Old 07-18-2004, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyP
what is the point of the HS sorority? It more important to focus on education.
why couldn't this very same argument be made for college sororities? It may even be MORE important to focus on your education in college.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Demolay is a sorority (and fraternity?) for young people up to age 21.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diamond Delta

Demolay is a sorority (and fraternity?) for young people up to age 21.

=================================

deMolay is a sorority? Is this a new development? It was a male only, Masonically oriented, brotherhood when I was in school. I was not a member but I knew some guys who were involved. Please enlighten me.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.wademolay.org/family/sorority/service.shtml

I got the information from here:

I do not know if it is a national thing or just this area. I have also seen sites that call them sweethearts instead, but they have officers and plan events and all the same things sororities do.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Demolay is a Masonic brotherhood for young men. They have an auxillary group associated with them called "sorority" (what it is called now in Washington) or "sweethearts" (what it was called when I was around ). I believe to be a member of the auxillary group (which from my understanding is mostly to help with the service projects and meet the boys) you have to be a member of one of the Masonic groups for young women, either Rainbow for Girls or Job's Daughters. Those are more sorority like then Demolay "sorority". There is ritual, officers, service/philanthropy, and chapters everywhere.

I was a member of Rainbow, and am a member of Eastern Star (an adult Masonic Group). If you have any questions I would be glad to try and answer them.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

In New Orleans, the private and Catholic schools such as Mt. Carmel Academy, Academy of the Sacred Heart, Dominican, etc do not have high school sororities. I am pretty sure in Memphis, TN either Hutchinson or St. Agnes have high school sororities.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: http://www.wademolay.org/family/sorority/service.shtml

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
I got the information from here:

I do not know if it is a national thing or just this area. I have also seen sites that call them sweethearts instead, but they have officers and plan events and all the same things sororities do.
DeMolay International is a Masonic-sponsored fraternal organization for boys/young men.

Click on the link that says "DeMolay Family" at the site referenced, and you will see this statement:

"DeMolay is for young men ages 12-21, but the DeMolay Family is large enough to include everyone. This section is dedicated to telling you a little about each of the appendant organizations that form the DeMolay Family here in Washington."

The Washington DeMolay Sorority is, according to the website, "an appendant organization of Washington DeMolay providing young women the opportunity to support DeMolay through collaborative efforts and its own program of activities and leadership development." Similarly, they have "Squires of the Round Table" for boys ages 10-12, as well as an alumni group.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a proud Past Honored Queen of Job's Daughters. There are many likenesses to Job's and sorority life. Just as I'm sure DeMolay is similar to fraternity life.

I was a member of two clubs in high school that didn't have greek letters but could be considered high school sorority type - Hi Tri and Nike.