Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,289
1 members and 1,288 guests
GammaGirl1908

Old 05-22-2004, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Adelphean1851 Send a message via Yahoo to Adelphean1851
Jewelry question

Does anyone know the deal with that really nifty black onyx oval crest ring thats called the presidents ring in giftmart? does that mean you have to be or have been president of your chapter to wear it? i've never seen it outside of the catalouge.

btw, ASA has this same design, I was looking through Burr, Patterson and a Auld's site and saw it in the ASA jewlery section.

I wonder why ADPi dosent have our offical jewlery up there, even if we have to order it through hq it would still be nice to look at whats available.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Back when I was in school, that onyx ring came in two styles: one with the little "balls" on either side of the onyx and one without. The one with them remains, as a President's ring.

I've often wondered myself if it would be wrong to order the ring if one hadn't served as president, and I keep coming back to the two rings and thinking, "Why not?"

As for our jewelry etc only being available through Gift Mart, I rebelled against it originally, too. But now I think that I'd rather see Alpha Delta Pi reap the profits, not another company. It's just one small way we can help our International Organization without donating actual money.

Last edited by honeychile; 05-22-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Does it mean you had to be chapter president or could it mean you were Alumnae president??
Old 05-22-2004, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
i'm going to say both. If you were a title holding president, I think you can wear it. Just my $0.02

Just like guards, if you hold that position in an AA, then why not buy the guard for your dangle too.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Back when I was in school, that onyx ring came in two styles: one with the little "balls" on either side of the onyx and one without. The one with them remains, as a President's ring.

I've often wondered myself if it would be wrong to order the ring if one hadn't served as president, and I keep coming back to the two rings and thinking, "Why not?"
I've wondered the same thing. Out of all the rings Giftmart offers, that is the only one I really like, but I'm not president
Old 05-24-2004, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Adelphean1851 Send a message via Yahoo to Adelphean1851
Honey, I don't mind that our jewlery is through giftmart, but our cheif supplier is Burr, Patterson and Auld (which I assume reaps some profit off our jewlery sales) I just noticed that alot of greek orgs have pics of their badges and other jewlery displayed on their site some is available for purchase but others say HQ only. I just wish our jewlery, esp badges, was displayed that way so that we could see what each option looks like (kinda like the brocure we give the alphas). It was kinda neat to see all the diffrent badges available (or lack of) for diffrent groups.

I guess i'll hafta run for AA pres one year so I can feel ok about buying that ring lol . The little "balls" on the side are actually crown set pearls, it would be really nifty if you could substitute gemstones or diamonds.

Last edited by Adelphean1851; 05-24-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

LOL!! Yes, I think it would be nice to do a comparison, too. But the snob in me ( ) likes the exclusivity!

I think there used to be a square or retangular one, too. It was slightly smaller than the President's ring.

I was Vice President several times - think if I took one of the pearls off, it would be kosher?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Quote:
Originally posted by skerbow
i'm going to say both. If you were a title holding president, I think you can wear it. Just my $0.02

Just like guards, if you hold that position in an AA, then why not buy the guard for your dangle too.
There's my excuse to buy the Prez ring!!! AND, the gavel dangle!! Although, the Alumnae Association dangle is a gavel with an A on it...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to sound like a whiney baby or anything, but I really wish whoever does our jewelry could come up with more interesting ADPi designs. Just looking at the www.burrpatt.com website, I find all the cute designs other sororities have

[ / end pout ]

Old 05-24-2004, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

actually Burr Patt does do our jewlery, if you look some of the designs other sororitys have are the same (like ASA having the same design we use for our "presidents" ring)
does anyone know who decides what jewlery to order? I know some of it has to stay the same but as far as the fasion peices go. Or does burr patt just say ok this is what we're making for adpi this year deal with it. do we have a committee er something for that?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump bump bump*

I just visited the Phi Mu Carnation Collection, and wow do they have some nice rings!!!

I think we need to convince EO that we are in some need of a better selection
Old 07-15-2004, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe Grand Council now decides to commission additional jewelry or not.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Christy408
I believe Grand Council now decides to commission additional jewelry or not.
I know that's how it works with the DAR. If I want a certain pin, I "order" it from Caldwell, who then asks NSDAR if I am entitled to it. That way, there's an aura of respectability around each pin.

Although, if done with the proper respect, I don't have a problem with a sister going to a jeweler and having something somewhat original done. That's often how trends are started, after all!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this, as I have the same question as the OP 8 years later...

I am looking at rings and I can't decide between the Traditional President Ring http://tiny.cc/0zj2mw or the Square Onyx Square Ring http://tiny.cc/a1j2mw

Since there is another president ring (with a gavel) that is available, would it be in bad taste to purchase the traditional onyx one if I never served as president (Does Alumnae VP count LOL)? Also, if anyone has pic's of either (trad or square) for size reference, that'd be great. HJGreek doesn't offer measurements!