GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,441
0 members and 1,441 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

New ? or Experimental ? NPC Recruitment Methods ?

A couple of posts in another GC forum in the last few days make me curious -- evidently NPC will be making / permitting some changes in recruitment policies -- correct? And these will go into effect over the next 2 years - right?

Among the things mentioned:

** A menu of recruitment styles for college panhellenics -- 1) continuous open recruitment, 2) minimally structured recruitment, 3) partially structured recruitment, 4) fully structured recruitment

** Annual review of total and the options for determining total

** Elimination of "quota setting methods I and II" (whatever those are)

** Quota range

** Alternate methods for calculating release figures

** Limited application of bid matching

Again, from what I saw, information is supposed to be going out to the world about these and other changes. And apparently some schools have experimented with at least some of the new concepts.

So -- what does some of this mean? Anybody have a clue?

And incidentally, as changes are implemented at various schools, will that have an effect on some of the content of the advice and counsel that GCers will be giving NPMs?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
The answers are in the NPC 2003 reports

http://www.npcwomen.org/newsevents/p...ion_Report.pdf

and

http://www.npcwomen.org/newsevents/p...nualReport.pdf

Both require Adobe Acrobat Reader

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
The bottome line is that NPC is acknowledging that there is a difference between a small Northeastern college and a large Texas/Alabama/Mississippi university. Not to pick on the South, but I think we all recognize that Greek Life and sorority recruitment at Ole Miss is nothing like Yale. To expect everyone to organize and conduct recruitment in the same manner is not working. For those schools where it IS working, very little will change. The advice that GCers give to PMNs regarding conversation skills and preparing for recruitment won't change. If anything, we may see a bigger focus on COB and informal methods of recruitment. Truthfully, I am excited to see the implementation of the new "rules". It can only help campuses to use a style of recruitment that fits their needs. One size fits all doesn't work in clothing and isn't working at many schools where the Greek System is struggling.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

After reading that it seems like they have just identified what needs changing but have no specific aggrements about how to change it just yet.... or do I misunderstand ??
Old 04-20-2004, 10:24 AM

The part about reviewing total annually is long, LONG overdue.

I like the idea of realizing the difference between schools but I hope places don't go overboard and kill formal rush just because they don't like doing it. IMO it is essential for first-time rushees to have an avenue where they are required to look at every group.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
There may not be specific agreements as to how this will be done because it is a "work in progress". The different types of recruitment have been identified and described but are not being mandated. The different styles of recruitment will be implemented that will take into account number of GLOs/ size of Greek System and I would imagine, preferences of the local panhellenic. This isn't going to be an instant, "poof" no more formal recruitment type of change but will take ~2 years to fully implement and campuses will get guidance.

I agree with 33girl that requiring at least one round where PNMs visit each group is essential. Right now some campuses are trying to make square pegs go into round holes and it is hurting them and ultimatly the entire Greek System.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dakareng
I agree with 33girl that requiring at least one round where PNMs visit each group is essential. Right now some campuses are trying to make square pegs go into round holes and it is hurting them and ultimatly the entire Greek System.
yall dont have a day when everyone goes to every sorority during FR?
i thought that was just the norm....

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
How does this help/affect schools with a tiny greek system, say like mine where there is only 1 NPC soroority, in fact that is the only sorority?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
yall dont have a day when everyone goes to every sorority during FR?
i thought that was just the norm....
Presently any campus doing FR probably does have a round where every sorority is visited. What is being referred to is what might happen if some campuses go to a more informal or COB type recruitment. Correct me if I am wrong, 33girl.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

tear! gasp!

Alexandra Robbins is sooo proud! This was all her idea, you know...
Old 04-20-2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
tear! gasp!

Alexandra Robbins is sooo proud! This was all her idea, you know...
LMAO!!!!!!!!

aopiinthesky - yes, that is what I meant. Even when I went through what I think would be called minimally or partially structured recruitment, we had "Meet The Greeks" where everyone went to every sorority. After that we could go or not go where we wanted for the skit round, and pref round was invite only.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard about the reforms back in November (or was it October?).

I was sooo glad - the "menu" of choices is exactly what my campus needed. We haven't done FR in a few years cuz it just doesn't work yet our internationals were always insisting that we had to...now that we can do COR and not be harrased to do FR that'll take the stress from sorority relations. (we only have 2 NPC)
Old 04-20-2004, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This will probably help my campus A LOT! Partially because it will give us more flexibility to compete with the locals on our campus who don't participate in FR. And secondly we would definitely benefit from having more of a COR structure, we're a commuter school and get most of our sisters through being friends from the neighborhood and friends-of-friends. I am really looking forward to helping implement the changes. Maybe I'll run for Panhel rep again...
Old 04-20-2004, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

On a more serious note, this sounds really exciting. Recruitment and sorority life are not a one-size-fits-all, and this "menu" looks like it could help many campuses find their "fit," and ultimately lead to stronger chapters and MORE greeks.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is worth adding that each school will decide with their local NPC reps which style of recruitment is going to work best.