GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,457
0 members and 1,457 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2004, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I might have a mild concussion!!!

Can someone help me out? This morning I was getting into my car & fell into the side of it-knocking my head so hard that I haven't been able to see straight all day! Besides the blurry vision I've got a headache I just can't shake even though I took my prescription headache medicine! I been falling over & running into things all day & I can't remember simple things-like which direction the bathroom is from my office. I can't type more than a few words w/out having to go back & fix typos (and that is very unusual for me-I'm rated @ 85 wpm)! And now I just got a nosebleed! Whats going on???
Old 04-19-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphagambaby
Have you had any nausea?

Whatever you do, don't go to sleep... I think if your nose has started bleeding, you should definitely go to the doctor, just to make sure there's not any internal bleeding or anything. I'm not a doctor, I'm just clumsy and I've had a lot of concussions.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphagambaby
Have you had any nausea?

Whatever you do, don't go to sleep... I think if your nose has started bleeding, you should definitely go to the doctor, just to make sure there's not any internal bleeding or anything. I'm not a doctor, I'm just clumsy and I've had a lot of concussions.
I have been naseous all day, I haven't been able to eat though & I thought maybe I was just hungry. I just feel so tired its too bothersome to even get up if I don't have to-the cafeteria is almost a 10 minute walk from my office. I've been drifting in & out of sleep while I've been in my office working. Even while sitting straight up! Do you think I should go to the medical dept.? I don't think I could walk that far if I needed to! Its almost a 15 minute walk!
Old 04-19-2004, 02:26 PM

You should probably go to a doctor and get that checked out...stat.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

go to the doctor or hospital right now, and take someone with you if possible.

i've had three serious head injuries before and at least three other mild head injuries, and every time i go the doctor always tells me what the classic symptoms are, and you have many of them!! head injuries and concussions are really really serious and if you have one, there are things you should be doing to take care of yourself. you definetly shouldn't be at work!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphagambaby
Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
I have been naseous all day, I haven't been able to eat though & I thought maybe I was just hungry. I just feel so tired its too bothersome to even get up if I don't have to-the cafeteria is almost a 10 minute walk from my office. I've been drifting in & out of sleep while I've been in my office working. Even while sitting straight up! Do you think I should go to the medical dept.? I don't think I could walk that far if I needed to! Its almost a 15 minute walk!
do NOT go to sleep, do not walk yourself to the doctor, get someone to drive you and make sure you stay awake... if you fall asleep with a concussion, there's a chance you can go into a coma... not good stuff... be careful and go to the ER now... don't eat anything either, at least until you go to the doctor and get checked out!

-Abby
Old 04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a medical dept. here @ work, its just a 15 minute walk from my office to their building (the buildings are, thankfully, all connected). I'm going to have my dept. secretary call them & ask them to come get me 'cause I don't think I can walk there. I'll have the secretary call my dad (he works here too) so he can meet me up there.

Thanks for the advice-I just didn't want to make a big deal out of this unless it was necessary.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Yes, get someone to take you to the doctor!

Also, have the doctor check your eyes, especially if you're nearsighted. Hard blows to the head can detach your retinas, and possibly cause blindness if you don't seek treatment right away. I'm probably overly paranoid because I had a detached retina, but it's something you DON'T want and so many people don't know to have their eyes checked out when they hit their head.

I think you'll be OK, though. Feel better soon!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to our medical dept. & the doctor there said I had a mild concussion! My dad is going to drive me home & I'm just going to take it easy for the rest of the day! Thanks for your all advice!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
I'm glad you went to the doctor and will be taking it easy the rest of the day. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Ginger

I'm glad you went and got checked out!

I had a pretty major concussion about a year and a half ago. I waited to have it checked out and now I still have problems to this day. Whether or not it was related to not going to the ER soon enough, I don't know, but it's better not to take that risk!

Take care and get some rest!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:19 PM

Glad you had it checked out. Take it easy... follow your doctor's orders, and rest up.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I got a mild concussion last year at our Rush Retreat 2002. We were at one of the girls' cabins, and in the upstairs bunk room the ceilings were really low. Well all the girls got kinda crazy and we were joking around, and I started bouncing on the bed. I stood up really face and hit my head REALLY hard on the ceiling. Later that night at dinner I started to get really dizzy and light-headed. In the morning when I woke up, I had really really bad stomach aches. The whole day I was nauseous and couldn't stand up for long. Finally me and my lil drove the 4 hours home and of course my parents weren't home. I just sat on the couch and relaxed. The next day I still felt really nauseous so my mom and I left my niece's 1st bday party and went to the doc. Mild concussion. I slept right through it all!

The pain only lasted that weekend, and then I was back to normal.

KLTC
Old 04-19-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to hell for laughing at this...

If all of that happened to you, I think the last place you should've been was on GC. And I thought OP's shitting blood thread was bad, lol. Well, I'm glad that everything turned out ok though.

Folks, for future references...if you have a bad injury or medical crisis, I think it is best to contact your doctor or ER before asking GC or anywhere else on the internet.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 04-19-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I'm going to hell for laughing at this...

If all of that happened to you, I think the last place you should've been was on GC. And I thought OP's shitting blood thread was bad, lol. Well, I'm glad that everything turned out ok though.

Folks, for future references...if you have a bad injury or medical crisis, I think it is best to contact your doctor or ER before asking GC or anywhere else on the internet.

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
Thanks for the advice-I just didn't want to make a big deal out of this unless it was necessary.