GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,129
0 members and 1,129 guests
No Members online

Old 11-12-2003, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Bowling for Columbine - Have you seen it?

I just watched Bowling for Columbine this weekend and I must say, it was a very eye-opening documentary! (although it only confirmed a lot of my conspiracy theory-like beliefs )

For those that haven't seen it, its not about the Columbine school shooting (although it is in there). but its moreso about guns, the NRA, racism, and violence ~ and its prevalence in America.

There were things in the documentary that you would think only happens in cartoons - i.e. at a bank in utah, you get a free gun when you open an account, a barbershop that sells ammunition.

I see why this documentary had such a limited release (only about 300 theatres in the US )

This is a must see.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 11-12-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Paradise359
Thumbs up

I watched it a few weeks ago & I think that it was wonderfully done. Really opened my eyes to some stuff. Good documentary.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw it a couple of months ago. I love Michael Moore. He made a lot of compelling points. I love the comparison between Canada and the United States. They have the same gun culture, minorities, but gun violence is not high.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abaici
I saw it a couple of months ago. I love Michael Moore. He made a lot of compelling points. I love the comparison between Canada and the United States. They have the same gun culture, minorities, but gun violence is not high.
I peeped that too. Did you also notice that when he asked Charleton Heston (NRA spokesperson, actor) his opinion to why there is such a large difference, he responded "because the US has more ethnicities". When Michael asked him to explain, he then tried to change the subject.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:04 PM

Exclamation Fear

I saw this this weekend as well. I must say it was very thought provoaking. I think he is implying that the gun violence is born out of fear. But he doesn't quite know where the fear comes from. The racism comes from fear, the violence comes from fear. I think this fear is at the core of Americanism. People are afraid of not having the things that they feel will define them (House,car money, "security", etc.). This drives our consumerism, which is the basis of capitalism. The answer to this fear, I think is a stronger sense ofself and purpose.
What do you guys think?
Blackwatch!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I think he blames our government and the media for instilling fear in the minds of Americans. That's the point, we are reactionary. We do not take time out to think rationally about things. For instance, during the America/Canada comparison, he discovered that most people do not lock their doors. As opposed to Americans who secure their homes with three locks and security systems, whether or not they have ever been burglarized. It was just really interesting. OH, I loved the History of America cartoon. He keeps it soooo real!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I was left feeling very disheartened about the US. I also thought the film was overlong, and the bit with Charlton Heston just seemed mean -- it was pretty obvious that ol' Chuck was in the early stages of alzheimer's and Moore's "interrogation" seemed more like an ambush.

Still, it was worth it just to see the "History of the United States" animated segment. That part alone should be required viewing for all undergraduate American History courses.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and the thing about no one in Canada locking their doors: I lock mine, as do all of my neighbours in the apartment building where I live.

I think it was a bit of artistic license - no one locks their doors when they're at home (maybe - but I still do), but we do lock our doors when there's no one home.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
the bit with Charlton Heston just seemed mean -- it was pretty obvious that ol' Chuck was in the early stages of alzheimer's and Moore's "interrogation" seemed more like an ambush.

Even though I realize that Heston is a puppet for the NRA, I have NO SYMPATHY for him. Why???? His handlers should have common sense, even if he is not in his right state of mind. I mean, seriously, why go to Columbine or Pearl after the shooting incidents. That's mean to me.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

My job has us doing a staff development next week by seeing the movie. Should I expect anything shocking?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abaici
Even though I realize that Heston is a puppet for the NRA, I have NO SYMPATHY for him. Why???? His handlers should have common sense, even if he is not in his right state of mind. I mean, seriously, why go to Columbine or Pearl after the shooting incidents. That's mean to me.
I agree with your assesment of Heston as a pawn/puppet for the NRA. And I agree that ol' Chuck should not have gone to Columbine to stump for the NRA after the shootings. But that doesn't make Moore's ambush of a very sick, very confused old man any more worthy of applause.

I'm a big Michael Moore fan, but after that scene, I became convinced that for Moore, it's less about being a voice for the voiceless than pushing forth his own agenda.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ruoprettypearl
My job has us doing a staff development next week by seeing the movie. Should I expect anything shocking?

Have we met you in our NEW TO GC/NEW SORORS POST HERE THREAD? If not, please introduce yourself.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Saw it and loved it...

I had my children (7 & 8) watch it, too. They thought it was great and it managed to keep their attention. I agree that the animated part was fabulous.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

I saw it and thought it was great, especially the US history cartoon.

A lot of the stuff he mentioned in the flick has been said over and over again.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I just purchased the DVD. I have to watch it ASAP. Is there a lot of cursing or anything? I may want to show it to my students. I will have to screen it first.