Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 952
1 members and 951 guests
John

Old 11-01-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Job Resignation ??

I posted in the Employment thread but was also interested to hear what my sister say

I just was hired for another job and I start 11.17.

Currently I am in a job that has been troublesome. I have been mislead by the company as well as getting an ulcer from the amount of stress that came with this job. As well as many other issues that arrose. So today I gave my 1 manager my 2 weeks notice, I stated that my effective 11-12-2003 I will no longer be working there. 2 questions

1- do you think that was enough notice, because I need some time to get things together for the new job, and needed some days off? I still have to tell the head manager.

2- I found out I have about 2 days of sick time, if I don't use it I lose my sick time, and will not get paid for it, is it wrong of me to take a "sick" day before I leave.

The company has treated me very poorly it's a LONG story but I was just curious to see what other thought about this.

thanks
Old 11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

1) Two weeks is standard procedure; I see nothing wrong with that. If they don't have to train someone for your position, it's more than enough.

2) I'm surprised that the HR department didn't remind you that you have any sick or vacation time left! I would remind your supervisor that, indeed, you have this time left; which days does he/she think would be best taken.

It's been a LONG time since I've switched jobs, but when I gave notice, the pay for untaken sick & vacation time was tacked on - so I had something like six paid weeks coming to me! Hope you get that lucky!
Old 11-01-2003, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
1) Two weeks is standard procedure; I see nothing wrong with that. If they don't have to train someone for your position, it's more than enough.

2) I'm surprised that the HR department didn't remind you that you have any sick or vacation time left! I would remind your supervisor that, indeed, you have this time left; which days does he/she think would be best taken.

It's been a LONG time since I've switched jobs, but when I gave notice, the pay for untaken sick & vacation time was tacked on - so I had something like six paid weeks coming to me! Hope you get that lucky!
I second that, honey! Two weeks notice is standard and you have provided them notice in writing. I also feel you should remind your employer you still have time off owed, and provide them with options for the dates you would like to take. Don't burn your bridges and remain professional, but don't let anyone walk on you!
Old 11-01-2003, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry FUMING

Thank you all so much for the answers.

I am not a 100% what I am going to do at this point. Today my head manager call into and told me that she had heard some bad news that I was leaving. I agreed and stated that this new job was more in my field. She wished me luck, I offered that I still wanted to meet with her, she just told me to put my resignation in her mailbox, because she's just too busy to meet with me.

I AM FUMING i know that this job does not think favorably of me nor do they truely like me, but honestly HOW RUDE come on upper management i gave you 2 weeks you could at least give me 5 minutes to meet face to face. I mean it's not my fault that she's running a failing department when 6 of us are leaving in November, 2 left in October and September, and out of the 6 person training class I had there is 1 left.

UGH

I am def taking some "sick" days this week
Old 11-02-2003, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

this might be silly of me to say this, but if you earned those days [for sick leave], you may as well take them !!
Old 11-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Greeklettergirl, from the high turnover in this woman's department, I would surmise that she realizes that her job in on the line!! Supervisors can't hire then lose that many people in such a short time without serious fallout!!

If you like the job (but not her), I'd keep a contact open. Unless she's related to the boss, she's on her way out - and you could be ready to snatch up her job! Just an idea...
Old 11-02-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Girls---

Thank you all again !!!!

It just floors me how rude this is to me. I feel honestly that I did the right thing but just feel VERY shorted by them. It makes me feel like I am not even a person to them. I honestly tried my hardest and busted my butt, and still never got my promised raise after 90 days, benefits, or vacation time BUT I did get an ulcer out of the deal !!

I am really thinking of just screwing the whole 2 weeks thing and taking this as play time. I don't really plan on keeping them as a reference, but you never know when paths will cross. I have one friend their a fellow employee who I could use as a reference, but OBVIOUSLY I would never be able to use the management they wouldn't be good reference.

I mean I just wonder if they see the fact there are people leaving left and right it's like a revolving door at that place!!!!

Who knows but thanks again for all the advice!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm next! I have nothing lined up, but I have HAD it!!!!! I am giving myself the month to find something and then I am out of there!!!! I am so upset-- this job is horrible.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I actually just had to give my two weeks notice for a job I love...I love the employees and the atmosphere...but it is a retail job and they need me for the christmas season and I can't be there...So I quite as to not make things more difficult for them...I really do not like that fact at all....It was hard...
Old 11-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, Abbey, I'm really sorry you're having a rough time at work!

I've had quite a few "one of those days" lately, but unfortunately, you can't quit your own business. *sigh*
Old 11-06-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

GreekLetterGirl, I know that this hard time because I just recently did the same thing. Except my company called my time off PTO so have to be paid out by California labor law.

Two weeks is standard and it sounds like the management is just being rude to you because of their own faults. The company that I used to work for had a 90% turnover in less than 1 year. Myself and 1 other person were the onlys left. The management didn't it to be themselves, it must have been everyone else. RIGHT!! When I left, they were very rude and negative and forbid my coworkers to go to my going away party. After being there 7 years I thought I deserved a little more respect than that.

Unless you just can't stant it any more....I would stay the 2 weeks. Prospective employers like to see that you gave notice to a previous employer because they would want the same if you left them. Plus, like you said, you never know when it will come back to you.
Good Luck in the new job!