GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,232
4 members and 1,228 guests
BillWitt27, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-03-2000, 10:42 PM
Going Greek

Question Rush/Pref Parties

I will be going through rush this fall and I know there are parties or something where you get to meet the actives, but I don't know what it's like(is it a regular party w/ music and stuff or is it little get to know you activities?) Another thing I would like to know about are the pref parties. I know you get invited back for that if the sisters think you could help the sorority in some way, but I have no idea what it's like. Is it just like the parties during rush? I would love any help you could give me on this. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2000, 11:37 PM

Well, "Party" is probably one of the most misleading terms used in Rush (ooops I mean Recruitment, Sir). I belive for that reason they are now called "Events" or something like that. What they really are are designed by the minute from your first step inside to the singing girls at the end. They are usually themed and the music, food ect. is designed and planned to convey a certain message. For this reason and because meeting a lot of people for a short amount of time at house after house is well, weird for a lot of people, there is a lot of artificality to the whole process. Don't worry, just try to relax when going through. It is the job of the members to take care of you, anwser your questions and make you feel comfortable in their home. And, as a future sister of mine told me when I was a "rushee" go to the place where you can see youself brushing your teeth every morning.--Good luck, happy brushing--
Old 08-04-2000, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

rush "parties" really aren't parties at all in the sense that you're thinking of. they are carefully structured and orchastrated from beginning to end. there is no music (other than sisters singing or as part of a skit), and absolutely no drinking or smoking or anything. the parties consist of each rushee chatting with several actives in a one-on-one setting, and on certain nights you may see a slide show of photos, or a skit. these parties are highly civilized, sickeningly polite, and very formal. nothing like a "frat party"!

pref night is a little different from the earlier events, because the rushees will watch some sort of ceremony unique to each house. these ceremonies may involve candles, flowers, etc. the sisters may recite their "symphony" or a sort of statement of the sorority's ideals. you will witness some of the sorority's special rituals, but they won't reveal any of the secrets that only members can know. the sisters will get kind of misty-eyed, and may discuss how much the house means to them. pref night is the most dressy, and the mood tends to be more serious.