Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,331
1 members and 1,330 guests
John

Old 10-24-2003, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jewelladpi Send a message via Yahoo to jewelladpi
Ummm...I'm confused

Umm... What is a lion sis and a violet sis? All I've ever heard is Pi pal and <> sis and secret sis but that is it.

Brenna
Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I think different chapters probably have some different traditions. Some chapters match up an Alpha and Delta member on bid day and call it something else, then officially assign Diamond Sisters later (they may or may not get the original person they were matched with). I'm not sure what exactly people mean by lion or violet sis, but that's my guess.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Diamond Sisters are the only official sister sponsors of alpha members in Alpha Delta Pi, and are assigned within 10 days of bid day or chapter retreat, whichever comes first. In COR, they are assigned immediately, and Alpha Ceremony is held within 24 hours with these sponsors in place.

Often in the days leading up to diamond sister revealing, chapters buddy women up with deltas they have met during recruitment, in order to make the new members feel at home. They choose their own names for these buddies-- pi pals, violet sis, etc.

There are no bigs or littles in ADPi.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you I am no longer feeling like an idiot. Violets to all.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter matches an Alpha and Delta on Bid Day so the new Alphas will have a buddy to be with b/c the new sorority thing can be overwhelming sometimes!

We call ours "Violets" and the Alphas recieve a new Violet each week until our chapter retreat when we have Diamond Discovery and they find out who their Diamond is
Old 10-25-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok we call Violet sis a Pi pal it is all becoming clearer.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: St. Louis in the summer, Springfield in the school year!
Does anyone else have a Poem Sis and a Crest Sis???
Old 10-26-2003, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
In our chapter, each of the final three weeks leading up to initiation we would be paired with a Delta sister that we might not know as well in order to get to know them a little better....what we called Violet, Lion, and Pi Sisters.

We received our diamond sisters within a week of receiving our bids, so we also had that special relationship developing, but I think this was a way to make sure our relationships didn't become too exclusive (only to our diamond sisters or fellow Alpha members).
Old 10-26-2003, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

We got Pi pals when we accepted our bid. And then a few weeks later got our <> sis, we didn't get a secret sis until our diamond days.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that ASU does Pi Pals on bid day. It is just a Delta assigned to an Alpha and then their Diamonds are revealed later.

I actually had a violet sis at U of A. I didn't know who she was though until I-Week. Everyday or other day she would leave things for me in the house, encouraging me to stay with ADPi, telling me that she was glad I was there and stuff. Then the week of initiation we had a scavenger hunt around the house and we (my alpha class) found our violet sisters. It was truly a fun experience.

Brianna

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-27-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi
I know that ASU does Pi Pals on bid day. It is just a Delta assigned to an Alpha and then their Diamonds are revealed later.

I actually had a violet sis at U of A. I didn't know who she was though until I-Week. Everyday or other day she would leave things for me in the house, encouraging me to stay with ADPi, telling me that she was glad I was there and stuff. Then the week of initiation we had a scavenger hunt around the house and we (my alpha class) found our violet sisters. It was truly a fun experience.

Brianna
Current Deltas, please note that ADPi no longer allows us to do hold scavenger hunts, nor are we allowed to leave "clues" for who might or might not be your sponsor sister. Brianna, thanks for sharing a fun experience you had, and sisters, remember, there are still ways to have fun and stay "inside the box" of what is acceptable.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

When I lived in the house at FSU all alphas had a violet sis. It was just a way to get to know more of the sisters in the house. New members recieved a plant which was kept in a sisters room. They came by to visit and water their violet. Its a great way to meet new sisters and to help them to feel at home!
April
Old 11-30-2003, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

we got our pi pals immediately after getting our alpha pins. several weeks later got our <> sis and then our secret violet sis during <> days.

this year, after formal rec, we ran yarn through our advisor's house and yard and tied the end of it to the foot/leg/arm of the delta. so our new alphas had to follow the string through the house, out the door, and up the tree/behind the car/in the shrub to find their pi pal. it was a ton of fun!