GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,184
1 members and 1,183 guests
UW_dawg

Old 12-23-2000, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Kemba Smith

Did anyone hear that Kemba Smith is a free woman? Clinton pardoned her on Friday, Dec. 22
Old 12-23-2000, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

That is great news. I wondered if he was going to do that.
Old 12-23-2000, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

AMEN!!!! I read her story a few years back and I was taken aback by the story. Now she can try and move on with her life and begin anew.
Old 12-24-2000, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

That is terrific!! I always thought that she got a raw deal. Way to go Clinton.
Old 12-24-2000, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm not a religious person...

But PRAISE GOD!!!

It's about time. I thought the sentance was too harsh anyway...
Old 12-24-2000, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am estatic to hear that. I went to Hampton U and they tell her story every year to freshmen as an example of what not to do when you go to college. I thought she got the shaft, foreal. I am glad Clinton saw that she had clearly served her time and made amends for her mistakes. Talk about a Christmas gift. Praise God for his ercy and grace!!!
Old 12-24-2000, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

i dont mean to sound ignorant but who is Kemmba Smith the person that u made reference to?
Old 12-25-2000, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Kemmba Smith was a girl who went to Hampton University in the early nineties. She got involved with some big time drug dealer from Va who used to physically and verbally abuse her. She got pregnant by him and would drive cars that had drugs and such in them for him. Well this guy had murder charges, and serious drug charges against him and the DEA wanted him. Initially Kemmba would not cooperate with the police. Well when she finally did the guy had killed himself. The law was mad because they weren't able to get him before he got himself so they punished Kemmba. She was twenty four at the time of trial and the judge sentenced her to twenty four years in prison. This was despite the fact that she never actually touched or sold any drugs. She had her baby in prison and her parents have been speaking around the country givng seminars and campaigning for her release. So finally, she has been pardoned. Hope that clears it up some for you.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Kemba Smith - Receives her BA Degree

Kemba Smith (the young woman who was incarcerated because of her drug-dealer boyfriend; President Clinton pardoned her
right before he left office) just graduated from Virginia Union with a degree in social work and has plans to attend law school.

Her mom is a soror.

I really think this is WONDERFUL for Kemba and sincerely commend her on completing her undergraduate education, despite the obstacles.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

She was one of Phil Donahue's first guest on his new talk show. I forgot the channel. I saw the interview briefly, then changed the channel and forgot to go back to the show.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
I saw the interview briefly, then changed the channel and forgot to go back to the show.

Don't you hate when you do that?!

I heard about her graduating and all that one morning on Tom Joyner. I am happy for her. There are so many girls that get caught up like that. I know that the money, flash, and all that other stuff draws girls, but I'd rather get me an average dude that won't make me "guilty by association," if you know what I mean.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedefinedDiva

Don't you hate when you do that?!

I heard about her graduating and all that one morning on Tom Joyner. I am happy for her. There are so many girls that get caught up like that. I know that the money, flash, and all that other stuff draws girls, but I'd rather get me an average dude that won't make me "guilty by association," if you know what I mean.
Sometimes love is blind and one won't care what the other does to make dividends. That's just how some women are?
Old 08-16-2002, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kisses
the guy had killed himself

Where did you get this information? I never heard that reported....hmmmmm???
Old 08-16-2002, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peepin101

Where did you get this information? I never heard that reported....hmmmmm???
For real. I thought that he had just gotten a lighter sentence. (I could be mistaken. It has been a few years.)
Old 08-17-2002, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedefinedDiva

For real. I thought that he had just gotten a lighter sentence. (I could be mistaken. It has been a few years.)
Yes, he did kill himself, BEFORE he could go to trial. That was the whole reason why is was so ergregious that Kimba was held all of that time. Since any "testimony" she could have given would have only helped the government to build its case against the "boyfriend". Now that he was dead, there really was no reason to keep pressure on her by holding her in jail after his death. But by then, the "flawed" MANDATORY sentencing law REQUIRED Kimba to serve a 25 to life sentence herself.

Kimba Smith appeared at the Social Action plenary during our National Convention. She said she understood that she remains an example and will use her "status" to address the issue of mandatory drug sentencing. I find it interesting that she wants to go to law school. I just hope they don't try to hem up her licensing over her conviction! (even though she was pardoned)

Another interesting story that came to light during that meeting was the plight of the people of Tulia (sp?) TX. Many of the African American residents have been convicted on drug charges based on the testimony of ONE DEA agent, who did not have any solid evidence (i.e. wire taps, photos, drugs) on any of the convicted residents.

The NAACP Legal Defense Fund has taken on their plight and has overturned a number of the convictions. It was shocking to hear how little evidence there was, and many of the convicts have 30-40 year sentences!

I'm probably paraphrasing this badly so here's a story about one of the accused:

http://www.csdp.org/news/news/tulia.htm

Last edited by Virtual Violet; 08-17-2002 at 01:02 AM.