GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,181
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 820
5 members and 815 guests
buffalogrΣΣk, John, naraht

Old 10-15-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Epsilon Sigma Alpha and kin

I took a look at the Epsilon Sigma Alpha website -- www.esaintl.org. It is a noncollegiate sorority/community organization rather like Beta Sigma Phi.

ESA has a section on the site for collegiate chapters. Does anyone know how they rush and how they interact with the campus Panhellenic?

I suppose the same could be asked of the Beta Sigma Phis here -- do you promote collegiate chapters?

Just curious.....
Old 10-18-2003, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
There was an inactive ESA who used to post but I haven't seen her around lately. She was very involved with her NPC chapter. So, I contacted Annie Greengrass, ESA's Circle of Life/Collegiate Advisor, and she asked me to post the following because she was having trouble.

"ESA is not part of the Pan-Hellenic council but rather a 'club' a the collegiate level. ESA is classified as a women's service organization and has 22 collegiate chapters across the US. The members of these chapters meet, have social and fundraising activities but do not have a house where some or all of them live.

Thanks! Please visit www.esaintl.com to learn more about us!

- Annie"

I would like to add the term "club" is used, in this instance only, to differentiate it from a particular council like NPC or NPHC. They hold their Ritual and sisterhood as closely as we hold ours.

From speaking with Annie about ESA membership a while ago, I know that they are VERY interested in establishing new chapters, particularly at the collegiate level! She sent me some materials on traditional membership and I must say how impressed I was with the resources. In addition to outstanding programming ideas, there was also a reimbursement of up to $200, I think, for new chapter organizers. This reimbursement would cover general start-up costs such as mailings, advertisements and the like. I am not sure if they still have that but I thought that it was a great idea.

Here is a list of collegiate chapters. Since we have GCers from some of these schools, maybe they can tell us what relations they have with ESA if any. I do know that ESA chapters have recruitment separate from the other groups.

Angelo State University (San Angelo, TX)
Augustana College (Rock Island, IL)
Ball State (Muncie, IN)
Bradley University (Peoria, IL)
East Carolina University (Greenville, NC)
Eastern Illinois University (Charleston, IL)
Elon College (Elon, NC)
George Washinton University, (Washigton, DC)
Illinois State University (Normal, IL)
Louisiana Technical University (Ruston, LA)
Millsaps College (Jackson, MS)
Our Lady of the Lake University (San Antonio, TX)
Parkland College (Champaign, IL)
Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN)
Stillman College (Tuscaloosa, AL)
University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL)
University of Alabama (Huntsville, AL)
University of Arkansas (Fayetteville, AR)
University of Illinois(Champaign-Urbana, IL)
University of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM)
University of Maine (Machias, ME)
University South Carolina (Columbia, SC)
University of Texas (San Antonio, TX)
Old 10-18-2003, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

My best friend is an ESA at ECU. I don't know TOO much about it, but I do know some. It's a service-based sorority. Their ECU chapter seems to do rush like I've seen many APO chapters- informal parties/info meetings, definitely not in the same format as Panhellenic. Actually, much of it seems similar to APO for women to me. It's not as strictly service as some other service orgs (for example, they get big sisters), but I have not gotten the impression that they have lots of social functions. I'm not sure how helpful any of this is, but what I do know is that it has been an enjoyable Greek-ish experience for my friend who did not join an NPC sorority at her school.

Last edited by CarolinaCutie; 10-18-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Actually, isn't ESA a co-ed organization now?
Old 10-18-2003, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Not really. Though, they do have seperate chapters and programs that involve the opposite sex. One is called Men of ESA. It's for "grandsons, nephews, sons, brothers, husbands, and fathers" and is a way for them to officially support ESA.

The other is called Élan and it is coed. "Élan stands for Education–Leadership–Affirmation–Networking. This membership is youth driven, providing middle school and high school age members with opportunities to develop personal leadership skills through service-oriented activities. It encourages positive participation and youth are encouraged to participate at the level that of their age and interest. Youth age 12-17 who share Élan’s spirit of enthusiasm for serving others are invited to become Élan members."

When Élan members turn 18 or go off to college, females can transfer their membership into either a traditional chapter or a collegiate chapter. Male members can transfer into MESA.

They also have a program for younger girls called DESA or Debutante of ESA. The age range is from birth to age 11.

When I first read about how involved a family can be in this organization, I immediately thought of Zeta Phi Beta. They have similar programs. Zeta Phi Beta's Auxiliaries include the following. "Archonettes- Youth group for young ladies age 14 to 18 currently in high school. Amicettes- Youth group for girls age 9 to 13. Pearlettes- Youth group for young girls age 4 to 8. Zeta Male Network- The gentlemen in the lives of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Members."

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Actually, isn't ESA a co-ed organization now?

Last edited by aopirose; 10-18-2003 at 11:53 AM.