GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,294
0 members and 1,294 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2003, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Specific question

@

Last edited by Tibi; 09-03-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

i am 98% certain this is how it goes, but there are people with more panhel knowledge, so feel free to correct me.

if you pref house a and b, you rank your houses on your bid card. by signing this card after pref, you agree to accept a bid from either of these houses. a bid is vaild for one year, so if she decided three days after bid day or three months after bid day that she wanted to accept, then she could.

in terms of not wanting her back, you really don't have the ability to refuse her. there are always stories here about people who show up to bid day crying because they really wanted to be an xyz, but got a bid to abc instead. she may have been really disappointed, but the fact that she came a few days later shows that she is willing to give it a chance.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
This is up to the individual sorority. They can handle it any way they want.

In my opinion, you (as the Pi Chi) could best help her by putting her in touch with the chapter advisor.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Tibi, how did rush go? Your school was my old stomping ground
Old 09-01-2003, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great time for your Greek Life Advisor to be out of town, isn't it?

Please let us know if this girl ends up pledging that house or not; I've never heard of anything like this and am really curious as to how it's going to end up!
Old 09-01-2003, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not the green book expert, but here's my take on it....

If it was formal recruitment, by her placing that sorority on her preference card that she signed after prefs, she is stating that she will accept a bid from that sorority. Therefore she is bound to that group for one calendar year. I believe that also means that bid is good for one calendar year, and cannot be taken back (unless there are some major reasons such as grades, univ. standing, or other big stuff). Therefore, she can come back a couple days after recruitment and join. The bid itself is still valid. (On the same token, she cannot pledge another group for one calendar year).

NOW, the question is....by giving it back to the pi chi, does that mean she turned down the bid? And if she did, what is the time limit for her to change her mind? Those are the questions that I don't have the answer to, nor could I find an exact answer for them in the Green Book. Although she may be repledged by the same group for one calendar year after her pledge is broken, that sorority may have a national rule considering repledging (% vote required, etc).

I don't know if I helped or not. My suggestion would be to contact the NPC Area Adviser to see if she knows.

(As far as the chapter no longer "wanting" her....my opinion is that they should give her a second chance, unless she did something very disparaging to the group. We all know crap happens in recruitment, things are said, gossip flies, and it's a hard decision to make in a few days for some. After the initial disappointment over not getting her first choice fades (and the bright shiny rose colored recruitment glasses come off), she might see that she actually WANTS to join this group. That's just my opinion, though.)