GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,337
0 members and 1,337 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAUNikki
MTV Sorority/Fraternity Life

I am very sorry if there is already a post about this, I searched and didnt find one! If there is one let me know or someone who can maybe merge this with it!

Last night during the VMAs I saw a commercial for the new seasons of Sorority Life & Fraternity Life. Was anyone else upset about the whole drawing a cirlce on someone's behind (mind you in their underwear), almost like a target. Then using a paddle on the person. I dunno, MTV is really making me upset with all of this because they could care less how they are portraying greek life and people have a bad idea about it?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dolphingirl14
I know! It really upsets me as well! I think that they aren't even trying to give Greeks a good name. It's just annoying b/c when you start rushing you have PNM's asking if it's anything like Sorority life and you kind of have to explain to them that's it's just TV and they're Local Sororities, NOT national. MTV is not making anyone interested in Greek life and if they are, it is making people interested in Greek Life for the wrong reasons!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolphingirl14
...you kind of have to explain to them that's it's just TV and they're Local Sororities, NOT national.
While I'm not a local, these kinds of comments are beginning to upset me. I have seen several people say that they have reminded PNMs that these groups that participate in Sorority and Fraternity Life are local organizations and NOT nationals. While the groups in these MTV shows are local, these comments seems to say that only local groups behave like this an not national/international groups. Unfortunately we all know that's not the case. There are so many groups that haze whether they be local or national/international fraternities and sororities or highschool organizations. There are many local groups that would not tolerate behaviour like this and to say to someone well their local (so that's why they behave like this is?) is not fair.
While it's unfortunate the groups still feel the need to haze we have to remember that sometimes National/International orgs get caught hazing too.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted about this in the VMAs thread already, but I'm just thrilled that these shows wil be airing just a week before rush at my school. Fraternity Life 2 was filmed on my campus, so I know that we will certainly feel the backlash. I can promise you that what will be seen on this season of Fraternity Life will be no different than that of previous seasons. And, as it has been mentioned on other threads, the fraternity has already had their recognition revoked from campus, and the show has not even aired yet... And for the record, I am a member of a wonderful local sorority at the very same school that this series was taped at and I have never been hazed, hazed anyone, or seen anyone be hazed.(As far as my sorority goes...) Local does not equal hazing. We are real, recognized orgs too!

Andrea

Last edited by wishuponastar; 08-29-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
While I'm not a local, these kinds of comments are beginning to upset me. I have seen several people say that they have reminded PNMs that these groups that participate in Sorority and Fraternity Life are local organizations and NOT nationals. While the groups in these MTV shows are local, these comments seems to say that only local groups behave like this an not national/international groups. Unfortunately we all know that's not the case. There are so many groups that haze whether they be local or national/international fraternities and sororities or highschool organizations. There are many local groups that would not tolerate behaviour like this and to say to someone well their local (so that's why they behave like this is?) is not fair.
While it's unfortunate the groups still feel the need to haze we have to remember that sometimes National/International orgs get caught hazing too.
I agree with Lady Pi Phi. Who are we trying to kid if we think we can limit this type of BS to locals. It may be rare, but it can happen almost anywhere. It is up to us to show what greek life is really all about.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand your point. I know that not ALL locals are like that. It is also the way that MTV edits it. I'm just saying that they're local b/c National Fraternities and Sororities have National Headquarters that won't allow them to be portrayed badly on televison, nor can their rituals and pledging process be displayed. I know that with the past shows they didn't show their personal rituals but these sororites and fraternities that participated in the show didn't have a national headquarters behind them. yes, there ARE National groups that DO haze but b/c we have National Headquarters checking up on us we are a little more likely not to. There would serious consequences if a national were doing the show and there were scenes that showed signs of hazing. i.e. taking their chapter away or probation. If MTV shows any local orgnizations hazing there is no one to penalize them for their actions. I have nothing against them using locals but It is annoying that people associate ALL Greek organizations with the shows PERIOD! They are just edited for general entertainment, NOT to educate anyone.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The locals (or anyone else) who allow themselves to be portrayed in MTV fashion are prostituting themselves.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolphingirl14
I understand your point. I know that not ALL locals are like that. It is also the way that MTV edits it. I'm just saying that they're local b/c National Fraternities and Sororities have National Headquarters that won't allow them to be portrayed badly on televison, nor can their rituals and pledging process be displayed. I know that with the past shows they didn't show their personal rituals but these sororites and fraternities that participated in the show didn't have a national headquarters behind them. yes, there ARE National groups that DO haze but b/c we have National Headquarters checking up on us we are a little more likely not to. There would serious consequences if a national were doing the show and there were scenes that showed signs of hazing. i.e. taking their chapter away or probation. If MTV shows any local orgnizations hazing there is no one to penalize them for their actions. I have nothing against them using locals but It is annoying that people associate ALL Greek organizations with the shows PERIOD! They are just edited for general entertainment, NOT to educate anyone.
Actually, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the Fraternity on FL2 has had their recognition as a campus organization revoked, and due to an incident that occured during filming, some members were arrested and may face expulsion. And bethany1982, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder what the rushes were like for the two Sorority Life groups after their MTV seasons aired.....anyone know?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

its a real shame. stereotypes suck
Old 08-29-2003, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

What's a real shame is that these groups volunteer to participate knowing full well what MTV can and will do to the limitless footage they get. After viewing two full seasons of SL and one of FL, these groups should know better. While it's frustrating to me that they may be portrayed in a negative light, it's their own fault. It may vary in degree from one new member being portrayed as "the bitchy/ugly/unwanted one" to the full-on instigation of near-criminal acts and in-house fights, I see no good things coming out of these shows for the groups that participate or for Greeks in general. (Besides some money, maybe...and how long will that last compared to the damage that could be done to their reputations?)

(from Brown eyed girl)

I totally agree. These groups have the last two seasons of the show to see how MTV really views greeks. If MTV though of Sororities and Fraternities in a positive light, they wouldn't portray the show the way they do. We in return are helping them keep their ratings by watching the show. I for one am not going to watch this season. The last two seasons just pissed me off and I don't feel like watching a show just to get angry. IF enough of us don't watch the show then maybe, just maybe ratings will go down and they'll stop making the show, but with society's need for reality television, that might not happen anytime soon. We're going to have to accept the show for what it is. We all know that what the show portrays is NOT what greek life is about and that's all that matters.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
I wonder what the rushes were like for the two Sorority Life groups after their MTV seasons aired.....anyone know?
It sounds like the SAEPi girls did fine -- 14 girls in the fall rush after SL1 aired and 10 more in the spring. I haven't heard anything about DZO.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
It sounds like the SAEPi girls did fine -- 14 girls in the fall rush after SL1 aired and 10 more in the spring. I haven't heard anything about DZO.
Plus, there was apparently a lot of interest at other schools in starting chapters of Sigma-AEPi.

From their website, it looks like DZO is trying to expand but it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Then again, their website hasn't been updated in a while.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't see that commercial yet, but from what I read about it, I was appalled. Shame on MTV, for creating stereotypes about GLOs and your creative editing for sleazy sensationalism!

Is there a network out there that can show us in a positive light? MTV just isn't the network to do it!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
its a real shame. stereotypes suck
I was hoping for a sliver of improvement over last season's SL (after the Nicole.... saga).