» Online Users: 1,105
0 members and 1,105 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2003, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXPGoBot
Question "social gatherings"

hey all

Was just curious about how everyone out there runs any parties that they have, or, if you're paranoid getting in trouble for giving such information, how you would (get it?) run parties if you had them

I know that a lot of schools have social gatherings on an invitation-only basis (you need to know someone to get in, otherwise you're screwed) and some are just open to pretty much whoever walks up to the door.

Just was looking for some suggestions (or some PMs) as we are considering changing the way we do things here.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
If my chapter had had parties that were, ahem, against national policy (like mixers), we would have paired up with a fraternity and held the "ice cream social" off-campus at a member's house. The only people invited would be members from my chapter and the fraternity involved, and possibly boyfriends/girlfriends of members (but not usually, since that tends to create drama). Of course, there would always be designated drivers present--if my chapter had had parties like this, we would've called our Sober Sis.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

on my campus glo's throw their parties in bars since we're a commuter school and don't have houses. you book the bar ,then you book a dj and we make money from the cover. The chapter collects the money at the door and the bar has a guy carding and giving bracelets to those over 21 at the door. the local sororities and the fraternities promote with their glo's names on the flier. the national sororities tend to use production companies names like phi productions and xi productions and don't put their glo's names on fliers. Though after going to our risk management workshop at convention I don't really think we would be breaking any rules by promoting parties with our own name cuz we don't do the serving or the carding.