Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,517
1 members and 1,516 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

alumnae relations

Hey y'all~

I just discovered this thing tonite So I thought why not get some advice from all my beautiful Phi Mu sisters out there! I'm Alum Relations Chair for Rho Gamma Chapter at Ball State University- Muncie, IN. Anyways- just sent out a huge newsletter, am starting a phi buddy program for our new girls, and the next thing on my list is to have some type of alum get together that incorporates our sisters and shows our appreciation to our alum for being who they are & helping out w/recruitment, etc I would love some ideas! I'm new at all this and just wanted some input. I love all you Phi Mu's out there. My mom is a Phi Mu, and I just happened to be a Phi Mu, too. She never really mentioned that she was one until right before I left for school. And look at me now

Muah :-* -Katie
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

i think that you have some really great ideas! maybe you can set up a listserve for your chapter so that people can keep in touch fairly easy! i happen to love yahoogroups...lol.

if i think of anything else, i will let you know!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

wow!

Pinky -

Ok this is so funny. I was reading your reply, and I looked at your profile. We have the same bday & I'm majoring in el ed. Just thought that was funny. Anyways - this yahoo list thing...what exactly is it? I'm sorry I just have no clue - I've heard of them, but that's about it. Thanks!

*Katie*
Old 08-14-2003, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Something you might be able to do with local alums (and those away who would be able to travel) is planning a picnic. I haven't been able to go to any of my chapter gatherings so far, but I know they do a shopping trip every few months. We also have a few Mary Kay reps and candle lite reps who host parties from time to time.
Pinkyphimu's mention of a listserve is a great idea. The one set up by a member of my chapter has put a lot of us back in touch, which is great.
I'm a lil curious about the yahoogroups... the one I found isn't very active. Am I missing some that are national and more active? I think I'll have to check that out.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deltaphi94

I'm a lil curious about the yahoogroups... the one I found isn't very active. Am I missing some that are national and more active? I think I'll have to check that out.
Ahh...you need to talk to Pammie. She should be floating around here somewhere....

Check your PMs as well -- I sent you some info
Old 08-14-2003, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
In the past we have had something similar, for the life of me at the moment I cant remember the name of the event!!!
(im getting old LOL just kidding...23 hardly counts as old...

ANYWAY...

what we did was plan a big BBQ with our heart to heart alum chapter, and when we got there we filled out a little card with our majors, fav activities, fav candy, hobbies, fav music, etc etc. and the alums filled out a similar card, modified a little, to add things like career path, major while in school, chapter you came from, etc. etc.

WELL...our eboard and alum eboard took them all and paired alums with collegiates to form pairs of people who had similar hobbies or someone in a similar career path. For example:

my major is elementary education and my alum big sis was a teacher.

SOOOO the alums would get the name of a collegiate and stand up and say.... my lil sis is..."insert name here"

it was ALOT of fun!

Me and my alum big sis still talk, she would always come to meetings and would send me email notes all the time.
She even made me a jar of my fav candy (the ones i had put on the original list) she is AWESOME!!!

anyways that is my idea...hope it helps...
we haven't done it in a while but it was really nice...
we had a big cake and BBQ and it was like an alum collegiate get together....

email me if you want more details
LIOB
Old 08-16-2003, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking thanks

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I'm writing them all down for future use! I especially love the one about matching up the alum to a collegiate - that's great Also - if anyone would graciously be able to take the time to explain a listserv or yahoo group to me, I would greatly appreciate it. I send out bimonthly emails as well to the list of alum I have. Not sure if that's the same as a listserv. Doubt it! Thank you for all your help! )

*Katie*
Old 08-17-2003, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

yahoogroups is basically a way to send one email to multiple people at once. my chapter has probably about 40 or 50 people on the list. it is easy to use bc the emails get sent to an address that someone already has (as opposed to giving them a new address to check all the time). it is easy for the collegiates to post messages about the results of greek week, etc. for the alums to read. alums use it to post updates about their lives and it is used as a resource...like, i am moving to virginia, does anyone have suggestions on where to live, etc. i like it because it is easy to use (you just type in one address) and you get to keep up with people really easily!