GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,708
2 members and 1,706 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 06-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone know how to change a Microsoft Publisher file to a .pdf?

I have Acrobat, but it only seems to work with Word.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-30-2003, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

That is really weird. I haven't tried it specifically with Publisher, but I can print almost anything to .pdf with acrobat. Does acrobat not show up as a print option?
Old 06-30-2003, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Anyone know how to change a Microsoft Publisher file to a .pdf?

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I have Acrobat, but it only seems to work with Word.
Since this is what I do for a living, I can answer this. You have 2 options.

First see if Publisher will let you save as .pdf. It might not. We dont use publisher, because printers and service bureaus wont accept them. I dotn know publisher. But that wont help you now, lol. If you can so it, it will be under the print menu. Remember, with the exception of Adobe prods (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign or PageMaker), the pdf creation function is not under the save as menu, but under the print menu. So youd go to print and pull down the printer selection bar to select the pdf writer (usually Acrobat). If its not there, go back and chack if you can save as a pdf. IF not, youre outta luck.

2. Buy or download Acrobat WRITER. Remember the reader is free, you gotta buy the writer. The brand name one (Acrobat) is a couple of hundred dollars. The off brand ones are only about $60.

Hope this helps.

PS: Your acrobat may have coem imbedded with Word. I found that to be the case more than once. Still wont help you with publisher. Maybe call Kinkos and ask them if their computers have publisher and you can export to a pdf. But remember, it'll be expensive and the kids at kinkos are idiots. They knwo nothing, casue the turnover there is about 8 minutes.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

A cheap alternative to Acrobat is Win2Pdf, however, I'm not sure how it performs vs. Acrobat (I would guess that Acrobat is more robust and scalable).
Old 06-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Re: Re: Anyone know how to change a Microsoft Publisher file to a .pdf?

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver But remember, it'll be expensive and the kids at kinkos are idiots. They knwo nothing, casue the turnover there is about 8 minutes.
Agree.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

If you have five or less files to convert you can do it for FREE on Adobe's Web site. Just sign up for a free trial of Create Adobe PDF Online.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UGAGal
If you have five or less files to convert you can do it for FREE on Adobe's Web site. Just sign up for a free trial of Create Adobe PDF Online.
Sookie sookie now with the free hookup.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin AGD View Post
That is really weird. I haven't tried it specifically with Publisher, but I can print almost anything to .pdf with acrobat. Does acrobat not show up as a print option?
I am doing a newsletter - it is done in Word now. I am trying to find a way to email distribute it without people being able to forward it around for free. Someone told me to use Publisher somehow. Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Do you have an Adobe print drive? That's how I convert my Publisher documents to pdf. I just go to the print button on the file and then go to go to the "Adobe PDF" printer. It'll prompt me to save it as a file and then it converts it for me.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
Remember, with the exception of Adobe prods (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign or PageMaker), the pdf creation function is not under the save as menu, but under the print menu.
In WordPerfect, it's under the "File" menu: "File" --> "Publish To . . ." --> ".pdf."

FWIW (which probably isn't much since Kevin is using MS Publisher).
Old 06-29-2007, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
FWIW (which probably isn't much since Kevin is using MS Publisher).
OP = 2003

Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. Our daughter is a graphic designer -- they don't use Publisher because they think it's junk.

Last week, she got a file from a client and couldn't open it, so she e-mailed it to me to see if I could open it and save it as a PDF and e-mail it back to her.

I tried, but I guess her file was in a newer version than came on my computer, so I couldn't even open it with the Publisher on my machine.

Thank you Microsoft.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post
Interesting. Our daughter is a graphic designer -- they don't use Publisher because they think it's junk.
That's because it is.
Quote:
Last week, she got a file from a client and couldn't open it, so she e-mailed it to me to see if I could open it and save it as a PDF and e-mail it back to her.

I tried, but I guess her file was in a newer version than came on my computer, so I couldn't even open it with the Publisher on my machine.

Thank you Microsoft.
One of my absolute pet peeves working in the Publishing industry is the yahoos who submit ads in Word, with embedded photos, which we inevitably have to recreate in the proper program. And then they wonder 1) why it doesn't look exactly like the sent it in and 2) the photos are crappy.

Give someone a PC and some creative license and all of a sudden they're a graphic designer.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post

Thank you Microsoft.
To be "fair" to MS (not that they need it at all), Publisher isn't really aimed at professionals . . . Adobe's products are pretty much the industry standard, and the MS products are more aimed toward your everyday joe putting together a newsletter for the junior league or little league.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Publisher isn't really aimed at professionals . . .
Your point is a good one. Actually, I've used Publisher for personal stuff and don't really have a problem with it, but my professional daughter has nothing good to say about it.

It does drive me a little crazy that newer programs with the same names as older ones have no downward compatibility.

I guess it's one way to sell new software.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.