» Online Users: 1,231
0 members and 1,231 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2003, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Growing Ivy

I know one of you phabulous Phis will know the answer to this:

How hard is it to grow ivy? I'm interested in growing some ivy in an Alpha Phi pot for my desk at home. Can it be grown indoors? How do I take care of it?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Ivy is probably the easiest plant to grow in the whole world. It takes over yards and planters quite quickly so watch out and don't plant it in a yard unless you want it EVERYWHERE.

How much water and light it needs depends upon the variety. THere is lots of into available online about watering and light for the different varieties.

LD
Old 06-24-2003, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, cool! Thanks for the info. I found something here in case anyone's interested: http://www.yougrowgirl.com/explore/dorm_plants2.php#ivy

4. English Ivy (Hedera helix)

Another popular houseplant, and a regular in living rooms since Victorian times. The assortment of available leaf shapes, colours, variegation, and sizes of ivy make this plant endlessly interesting. They are easy to grow and will tolerate many conditions. They can be grown in hanging baskets or pots with the vines hanging down or trailing along book shelves and door frames.

Light: They will grow best in bright, indirect sunlight, but will withstand and even thrive under extremes of light intensity including full sun and shade. Plants with variegated leaves will require light on the brighter end of the spectrum.
Temperature: This is another plant that prefers moderate indoor temperatures between 50° and 60°F. If the climate is too hot, the soil will dry out and the humidity level around the plant will be low, an ideal breeding ground for red spider mites.
Water: Keep soil barely moist, not soaking. Mist foliage regularly to encourage humidity.
Repotting: This is a fast growing vine, so repot in the early summer if the roots are struggling through the bottom holes of the pot.
Propagation: Ivies can be propagated very easily by rooting cuttings. Some variegated varieties may mysteriously begin producing new growth of different colouration. If you snip these off and root them in a new pot you can have a new plant of a completely different variety from the parent plant.
Common Problems: Red spider mites may cause you some aggravation. To avoid them keep the temperature moderate, the soil moist and spray the foliage with water regularly. Give the plant a bath every once in awhile by placing it under a gentle sprinkle in the shower. If you want to be extra careful, wash the leaves with water mixed with a tiny amount of soap. Be sure to rinse the soap off thoroughly.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:30 PM
cutiepatootie

I don't have a greenthumb at all! my poor flower bed out in frontof my house looks sad enoughandis proof enough of that! though i did luck out one day at wal mart and found for $2.90 a good size potted green ivy and i have yet to kill it off with my lack of gardening exp!

Laura
Old 06-26-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

hehehehe... a few sisters and I were upset b/c other GLO's at our school were being WAY shady Our campus has a hill where all of the GLO's have their letters chalked or bricks, or boards (I hope you all understand what I am trying to say). Well, we all know that Ivy spreads like none other, so we had the idea that we should plant ivy on that hill and there would be ivy EVERYWHERE! Then they would never froget about us. But we chickened out
Sorry , this probally has nothing to to with this convo, but I thought I'd share
Old 06-26-2003, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Hee hee... that would be kinda shady, but funny all the same!