GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,171
1 members and 1,170 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-18-2000, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is there such thing as cheesy community service?

Is certain community service considered more important than others to BGLOs? If someone has volunteered (let's say for 8 months) in the Parks Department...helping to keep the city parks clean, painting over grafitti, etc. and someone else has been let's say a girl scout volunteer for the same amount of time....does the girl scout service look better? If this topic has already been discussed, can someone kindly direct me to it?
Old 07-18-2000, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I don't think so. I think it depends on what the person is interested in. If keeping the earth beautiful is important to you, than I wouldn't consider painting over grafitti and picking up trash (probably in the hot sun, LOL) any less valid that working with the girl scouts. Better some service than no service in my opinion!

ZetaAce
Old 07-18-2000, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks a bunch ZetaAce! As always, you're very helpful!
Old 07-18-2000, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Zeta Ace as well. The only "cheesy" community service is the service that is performed halfheartedly or only done to get your foot in the door in regards to becoming part of a BGLO.

At my undergrad, Wittenberg University, we were required to do at least 30 hours of community service in order to graduate. NO SERVICE, NO DEGREE. That was one of my most enjoyable experiences in regards to service. It helped me fall more in love with kids and wanting to become a teacher.

What is most important about whatever service you do is that it benefits someone other than you. Although after performing service, your benefit is that you have made the world in some way better than you found it and you have given back.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I am bumping this because I have some different opinions as an NPHC/BGLO member.

I have a friend who is interested in alumni/graduate membership in a sorority. She does not have any family connections to the sorority or any close friends who are members. I would also say that she is not particularly close to any members who went to college with us. So she is starting out from scratch.

She enjoys philanthropic activities that involve the arts. I believe she has served on boards of theater groups and orchestras, or perhaps a museum. She is often the only person of color on such boards.

Personally, I think people should do the service which makes them happy.

Strategically, if you are pursuing membership in an organization of women of color, you need to be able to network with other women of color. Performing service in your community which assures that you will meet other women of color is a start.

Same with men, although I think it's easier to become a member of a black fraternity than it is to become a member of a black sorority.

To sum it up, I think doing service which involves interaction with your peers is good service to further along your pursuit.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

...you are aware that you bumped a 13 year old thread, right??
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaEmi88 View Post
...you are aware that you bumped a 13 year old thread, right??
I've added something to the conversation. Have you?

Now scurry off until I send for you.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I am bumping this because I have some different opinions as an NPHC/BGLO member.

I have a friend who is interested in alumni/graduate membership in a sorority. She does not have any family connections to the sorority or any close friends who are members. I would also say that she is not particularly close to any members who went to college with us. So she is starting out from scratch.

She enjoys philanthropic activities that involve the arts. I believe she has served on boards of theater groups and orchestras, or perhaps a museum. She is often the only person of color on such boards.

Personally, I think people should do the service which makes them happy.

Strategically, if you are pursuing membership in an organization of women of color, you need to be able to network with other women of color. Performing service in your community which assures that you will meet other women of color is a start.

Same with men, although I think it's easier to become a member of a black fraternity than it is to become a member of a black sorority.

To sum it up, I think doing service which involves interaction with your peers is good service to further along your pursuit.
I don't know if you are asking a question, or making a statement?

If you are asking a question, and I assume the question is how this young lady can place herself to be seen by the members of this org, then my advice would be for her to start getting involved in activities where Black women in this org can see her.

Church is always a good place to start.

She should find out the event calendar of this org and attend their events. These activities are usually published in the newspaper's society / social section. And, if she can get to know some of the members of this org, she could volunteer her time to them to be a speaker or panelist for one of their events.

If she's on the board of an art museum, then can she use her influence to coordinate an inner city / urban event for youth? For example, the summer is a great time to have a one day or one week summer camp where inner city kids can come in and learn basic art / drawing skills.

Or, are there AfAm specific community groups that she can join? For example, here in Houston we have the Ensemble Theater, which is one of the oldest theater groups founded, run, and managed by AfAm. They always present plays by AfAm artists and play writers. We also have an AfAm operatic organization called the Houston Ebony Opera Guild. These are just two well know AfAm specific artistic orgs in Houston where one can become a member and in the process get to know women in NPHC sororities.

If you are making a statement, then I think members of her org of interest would find her activities an asset to their chapter.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I don't know if you are asking a question, or making a statement?

If you are asking a question, and I assume the question is how this young lady can place herself to be seen by the members of this org, then my advice would be for her to start getting involved in activities where Black women in this org can see her.

Church is always a good place to start.

She should find out the event calendar of this org and attend their events. These activities are usually published in the newspaper's society / social section. And, if she can get to know some of the members of this org, she could volunteer her time to them to be a speaker or panelist for one of their events.

If she's on the board of an art museum, then can she use her influence to coordinate an inner city / urban event for youth? For example, the summer is a great time to have a one day or one week summer camp where inner city kids can come in and learn basic art / drawing skills.

Or, are there AfAm specific community groups that she can join? For example, here in Houston we have the Ensemble Theater, which is one of the oldest theater groups founded, run, and managed by AfAm. They always present plays by AfAm artists and play writers. We also have an AfAm operatic organization called the Houston Ebony Opera Guild. These are just two well know AfAm specific artistic orgs in Houston where one can become a member and in the process get to know women in NPHC sororities.

If you are making a statement, then I think members of her org of interest would find her activities an asset to their chapter.
I was not asking a question and there are other details I have not shared about the young lady. There are parts of your advice that she has followed and other parts that do not apply.

All in all, what you are saying makes sense and if it is meant for her to be a member, it will happen for her.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
...if it is meant for her to be a member, it will happen for her.
True. I wish her all the best in her pursuit!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Riiiiiight. Because this information is readily available.

Ok, sarcasm aside, I have rarely seen an NPHC organization advertise an event in the paper, community events section or the like. Actually, as an interest, the only time I knew about happenings were forwards from greek listserves and from NPHC members. Maybe a regional difference?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Riiiiiight. Because this information is readily available.

Ok, sarcasm aside, I have rarely seen an NPHC organization advertise an event in the paper, community events section or the like. Actually, as an interest, the only time I knew about happenings were forwards from greek listserves and from NPHC members. Maybe a regional difference?
I don't know where you live, but it has been done here in Houston. I know that I have read about AKA and DST events in the Houston Chronicle.

I don't read the Houston Chronicle that much anymore, but I know in years past the paper would have a social events calendar published in late August / early September. We also have an AfAm paper, the Houston Defender, that will advertise events.

There is a AfAm program on our ABC affiliate, Houston Crossroads, that will have members of NPHC, Links, and other groups speaking about their upcoming events.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I do suppose there are some cities where NPHC events part a significant role in community events and service. There are just so many organizations here that do the work we do, and often pull way bigger crowds. Not to say our happenings aren't valuable, but as far as advertising them, I don't see more traditional forms of marketing used.