GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,357
1 members and 1,356 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-03-2003, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

NCAA Football 2003-2004

Here are some preseason rankings by cbs.sportsline.com. Discuss:

1. Oklahoma: When Bob Stoops says, "We should be decent," the nation better watch out. Once again, the defense is loaded, recruiting is great. Pencil the Sooners into the Big 12 championship game and probably the Sugar Bowl.

2. Auburn: The Tigers head into Saturday's spring game loaded. They are three deep at tailback, finally settled at quarterback (Jason Campbell), the linebackers could be the best in the country with Karlos Dansby and Dontarrious Thomas. Tommy T. is safe with a contract extension. Now, just beat USC and everything will be OK -- until the first week of September.

3. Ohio State: Jim Tressel continues to be a coaching genius. No need for Maurice Clarett to even see the field in the spring game. It was wise of Tressel to hold him out despite Clarett's shoulder being 100 percent. It's hard to believe that the Buckeyes can win half their games by seven points or less again but why not? In a couple of short years, Tressel has proved himself one of the best in the country.

4. Kansas State: The BCA Classic against Cal is finally finalized -- the first game of the college season on Aug. 23. If the Wildcats go all the way they will play 15 games. Two Heisman candidates in quarterback Ell Roberson and running back Darren Sproles.

5. Miami: Derrick Crudup played even with Brock Berlin in the spring, but Berlin was handed the job last week. Crudup made veiled claims of racism. (Crudup is black, Berlin is white). Crudup met with coach Larry Coker and quarterbacks coach Dan Werner and cleared things up. But what happens if Berlin falters?

6. Virginia Tech: An uncharacteristic down performance in the conference (3-4) "doomed" the Hokies' season (10-4). We're betting Tech bounces back behind tremendous quarterback depth -- Marcus Vick, Bryan Randall, DeAngelo Hall, Kevin Jones etc. Randall is the starter at quarterback for now, however Vick, brother of you-know-who, will get some snaps. Seven starters or top backups missed the spring because of various injuries but will be back in the fall. Defensive back DeAngelo Hall spent the whole spring on offense and will get about 30 plays per game at receiver next season. Biggest advantage: The Miami game is at home Nov. 1.

7. Georgia: There is much work to be done in both lines but the guess here is that Mark Richt will be able to make a heck of a run at defending that SEC championship. It says a lot for the stable of talent that the Dawgs can lose Boss Bailey, Musa Smith, et al and still be a top 10 program.

8. Pittsburgh: If Miami falters, blame the Panthers. Pittsburgh has the horses and schedule to pass the 'Canes. Pittsburgh gets Virginia Tech and Miami at home, which means it basically controls the Big East race. If everything falls right, Walt Harris goes to the Sugar Bowl and then, finally, to the NFL.

9. Texas A&M: Dennis Franchione came out of spring calling Reggie McNeal and Dusty Long co-starters at quarterback. McNeal is the better athlete. Long, right now, is the better thrower.

10. North Carolina State : An 8-1 start is not out of the question when the Wolfpack play host to Virginia on Nov. 1. The highest-ranked ACC team (12th, AP) is coming off a school-record 11-win season. Tailback T.A. McClendon was held out of spring to rest his injured wrist but will be back 100 percent in the fall.

11. Texas: Even with Cedric Benson, Texas was near the bottom of I-A in rushing. Combine that with a new quarterback and Roy Williams alone won't be enough for the 'Horns to win the Big 12 South.

12. Virginia: A team for the MTV Generation. Forty-one lettermen returning, 17 starters. A freshman or sophomore started at 19 spots in the Continental Tire Bowl game over West Virginia. The best quarterback in the ACC, Matt Schaub, will challenge N.C. State for the conference title.

13. Washington: Maybe optimistic this high but the Huskies defense can't be that bad again, can it? Two Heisman-quality players on offense (Cody Pickett and Reggie Williams) should have U-Dub improving on a 7-6 record. It's the defense that will decide whether Slick Rick breaks into double digits. The guess here is this year, or pretty darn near it, and a Rose Bowl berth for Washington.

14. Arizona State: The new Terrell Suggs is ... well, no one can replace the nation's leading sacker, but junior Jimmy Verdon will try. More flexible than Suggs, Verdon is quick enough to rush from the edge or stop the run from the inside. Coach Dirk Koetter got Boise State going in his third year. The same should happen in his third year at Arizona State.

15. Michigan: John Navarre is back for his 37th year as quarterback of the Wolverines. Just kidding. This is one program that can absorb the loss of six players to the NFL Draft. That means it won't be a Rose Bowl year for the Wolverines, just another solid one.

16. Notre Dame: Sophomore quarterback Chris Olsen had a big spring game but he is unlikely to replace junior Pat Dillingham as the backup to Carlyle Holiday. If Holiday progresses, as expected, under Tyrone Willingham the Irish offense will be much improved. The defense is a given with eight returning starters. If Notre Dame can overcome a tough schedule -- by Oct. 17 it will have played only two home games -- another double-digit win season isn't out of the question.

17. Southern California: We don't like the Trojans as high as some others because of new faces at quarterback, tailback, linebacker and safety. They lost a Heisman Trophy winner, their leading rusher and a first-round draft pick at safety. Pete Carroll's defense will hold the Trojans in the Pac-10 race, but it won't be enough for them to win it.

18. Alabama: The Mike Price era starts with plenty of talent. Former Texas Tech runner Shaud Williams gets the tailback job. The quarterback job is finally all Brodie Croyle's. With no bowl in sight, Price can keep the wolves away from his door by duplicating Franchione's final act: Winning 10 games.

19. LSU: Matt Mauck returned to the practice field for the first time since injuring his foot last season. That's good for the depth at quarterback but there is still much work to be done on offense. The Tigers tied for the SEC West title with an offense that was No. 86 in the country. Then Nick Saban lost his top two rushers, Domanick Davis and LaBrandon Toefield, to the NFL. Replacement Joseph Addai rushed for 438 yards last year.

20. Penn State: Controversy has been swirling around JoePa all spring. It seems he played defensive back Anwar Phillips in the Capital One Bowl after Anwar has been expelled following a sexual assault charge. Paterno's latest blast is that it is none of the media or fans' business. Uh, wrong JoePa. Your salary is paid by the public and you are accountable to your bosses -- remember them? -- and hundreds of thousands of alumni. President Graham Spanier said publicly that Anwar shouldn't have played in the bowl. Meanwhile, back on the field, Zack Mills looked pretty good. He will have to with the loss of Larry Johnson.

21. Maryland: Almost a forgotten team at a basketball school where the best football news is elsewhere in the ACC. Terps have the nation's best punt returner, Scott Suter (four touchdowns), who underwent knee surgery on April 5. Ralph Friedgen needs a backup behind Scott McBrien. Bruce Perry -- remember him? -- is back at tailback.

22. Florida State: The Seminoles' 2003 fortunes hang by the fragile psyche of Chris Rix. He was made off limits to the media during spring practice after last season's meltdown. Greg Jones could be a Heisman candidate and there is the usual collection of athletes, but why do we get the feeling a dynasty is ending in Tallahassee? The offseason disaster created by Adrian McPherson and the school won't go away any time soon. The only distraction is top-notch football. Is FSU back in the top 10 or seeing the end of the Bowden era?

23. Oklahoma State: There are few programs in the country with this much optimism. The Cowboys will challenge for the Big 12 South title on the strength of 13 returning starters that include Biletnikoff candidate Rashaun Woods and 1,000-yard rusher Tatum Bell. Hey, how many teams have beaten Oklahoma twice in a row?

24. Tennessee: The offensive line has been nicked up. The running game is a huge question mark. The schedule is tougher than last year when a six-overtime victory over Arkansas kept the Vols from a 7-6 embarrassment. (They finished 8-5). There is no sympathy for the rebuilding in the SEC. A good place to start is scoring more than 30 combined points against Alabama, Miami and Florida. Free safety Rashad Baker should be an All-American, which means he'll probably be making a lot of tackles 10-20 yards down the field.

25. Arkansas: Just another dogfight in the SEC. The Hogs return 19 starters from a team that lost the SEC championship game and are the sixth SEC team on this list. News flash: If everything falls right, Arkansas could be back in that title game. Quarterback Matt Jones also spent time at receiver. That's good news. Coach Houston Nutt always says he wants to pass more but the Hogs usually end up leaning on a solid running game. If they can throw better (Jones completed only 52 percent of his passes), the Hogs will be tougher than Nolan Richardson's lawyer. Watch All-American offensive tackle Shawn Andrews. His new defensive coach is former Lombardi and Outland Trophy winner Tracy Rocker.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-03-2003, 09:53 AM
wreckingcrew

While it's nice to see A&M recieve some respect from the national media, i think we are HIGHLY overrated. We're a team coming off a 6-6 season, no bowl game, a new head coach, and at least 4 of our losses last season were heartbreakers (ITTech, NU, MU, and t.u.)

If we had any hope for a Big XII title it was last year, we caught all the tough guys at home, 'cept for t.u. This year our schedule is brutal and contains trips to VT, ittech, nebraska, and oklahoma. All are tough places to play, but i do think that Fran will turn around the jinx the red raiders have had on us lately.

As much as i want to think that Coach Fran will come in and change things around quickly, i think 2004-2005 will be the year the Ags break the top 10. This season i don't think we should start out ranked higher than 20, if at all. Of course, my reservations are based on years of RC Slocum coached football, Fran may come in and totally raise the bar and change the expectations for Aggie football. This is how i see our schedule shaking out this year:

Arkansas State W
Utah W
@ Virginia Tech W (this game IS winnable & i think will tell a lot about our team)

Pittsburgh W
@ Texas Tech W
Baylor W
@ Nebraska L (again, i think this game is winnable, but we haven't had too much success in lincoln)

Oklahoma State W
Kansas W
@ Oklahoma L
@ Missouri W
Texas * W (hard fought game, i think Fran bests Mr. Februrary, Mack Brown)

So, i see us going anywhere from 10-2 (best case scenario) to 8-4 (with losses to VT and t.u.) Realistically we'll probably end up 9-3 or 8-4.

Basically, what i'm saying is that, we're a bit overrated, and i'd rather us not be ranked and work our way up than vice versa. BTW, this is pretty dated, look who it has as the coach of the #18 team

Kitso
KS 361 times August 30th can't get here soon enough!

Last edited by wreckingcrew; 06-03-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Alrighty then! I'm ready for some football!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I am worried about some of UGA's first few games because some of their starters sold their SEC rings and may not play unless they pay back what they got.

NC State should be real good, knock off FSU as top ACC team for good hopefully!

FSU wouldn't be suprized is this is their first year in a long time they might not finish in the top 25.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305
Ohio State Should do well this season. will they go for another undefeated record? not really. As for Penn State, Time is running out for Coach Joe P. Unless he has a team that can be among the top four in the Big Ten and overtake OSU, Don't expect him to be around next season.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by zntke711
I am worried about some of UGA's first few games because some of their starters sold their SEC rings and may not play unless they pay back what they got.
I am quite worried about that, too. Playing Clemson in Clemson isn't the easiest thing to do, but without some of those outstanding players, it'll be even more difficult. Of course, I am still rooting for Georgia
Old 06-03-2003, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Wahhhhhhh.. my poor Huskers.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 06-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Upon reviewing that list I find a few things to be a little off..

Auburn ranked where they are... where did they come from? I don't picture it turning out that way at all. SEC teams beat up on eachother pretty bad by the end of the season so it's unlikely that'll be the outcome.

As for OU at #1.. Although they are 'my team', I'd be surprised to see them go undefeated. They have a road game at Alabama this year as well as a road game at Colorado. They also have to beat Texas for the 4th time in a row -- Mack Brown should be throwing everything he has at them (losing 4 times in a row could bring up some job security issues for Mack).

Texas ranked behind Texas A&M... That's almost comical. However, A&M as a team has shown they can playin big game situations (see last year's OU game) whereas Texas rarely beats a ranked opponent. Perhaps that is starting to be a factor in the ranking.

Kansas State may be a little overrated in that poll as well. Typically their OOC play is a joke. They do avoid OU this year but have to make a trip to Austin. Depending on Nebraska and Colorado they might not be even top 2 in their division.

Missouri should be higher on the list, their QB is amazing.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Maaaaaan, FSU #22? Geez! And not much new here, zntke hatin'! But it's okay...we shall see how next season pans out for the Noles.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
Maaaaaan, FSU #22? Geez! And not much new here, zntke hatin'! But it's okay...we shall see how next season pans out for the Noles.
FSU will be a lot more successful on the field this year if they can avoid the types of problems that occured last year off the field (McPherson).
Old 06-03-2003, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
FSU will be a lot more successful on the field this year if they can avoid the types of problems that occured last year off the field (McPherson).
Chris Rix sucks dood. If McPherson didn't get his butt booted they would be in alot better shape.

Libra I may be hatin but I have been right so far looking at last year.lol
Old 06-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zntke711
Chris Rix sucks dood. If McPherson didn't get his butt booted they would be in alot better shape.

Libra I may be hatin but I have been right so far looking at last year.lol
I saw McPherson come in and replace Rix in what I believe was McPherson's last game. They did lose, but the guy single-handedly put up more yards and I think even 2 scores in the few minutes they had left than Rix had the entire game.

Hopefully they have something waiting under their wings to step in and play QB. They obviously didn't last year as I saw them moving a WR to play QB?!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU Does Rise or Fall on Rix

Bowden thinks we might be pretty good this year if Chris comes through. Ten of eleven on defense return; only one senior on the 3-deep chat on offense.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

Hopefully they have something waiting under their wings to step in and play QB. They obviously didn't last year as I saw them moving a WR to play QB?!
No kidding he did qb in HS but he was a much better WR and when he left it it hurt them more. If they start someone other than Rix they may have a good run but still won't be top 10.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

It will be a painful year for FSU, no doubt. Is this the year that NC State kills off FSU as a powerhouse? FSU is in the same situation as many other programs and it will be a painful process to rebuild a decent team. zntke I disagree with many of your statements but I understand that many of them are made from an emotional and not factual standpoint. It is very clear that you dislike both Bowden and FSU, which is your right, and I respect that. But.. if you think the end of the world is occuring at FSU, I would disagree. The program will soon again be recruiting like no other, it has deep pockets, and the facilities to get the talent. There are few other programs with these abilities (OU, Miami, Texas, UF, and a few others). The Seminole have stumbled and will endure much more pain before this is over, but the program will emerge a powerhouse.

Edited to say: GO UCF! I am going to watch UCF play VA Tech in Blacksburg next year and I am praying for a miracle!