Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,454
0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 05-10-2003, 11:49 AM
cutiepatootie

Open house help

Ok as i settle in to my position i am planning an open house!

HELP! i need advice on how to plan. I never planned one before and i need soime serious imput.

laura
Old 05-10-2003, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Open house!!

Ok can you give us more info!!

1. where do you go to school again (sorry can't remember)

2. format of OH - how long is the party, do you sing a door song (entrance only or only entrance and exit?) what did your chapter wear last year? what do PNM's normally wear?

APhi has lots of resources available - the new Recruitment manual, the Formal Recruitment Planner

Also does your chapter have a Recruitment Advisor? There is training available for her this summer at Rush University.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:14 PM
cutiepatootie

vp of membership

Open house for Alum chapter.

As alum initiate i never did any kind of open house as far as A Phi goes and i need some good imput.

laura
Old 05-12-2003, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Laura! I am assuming that you are having this at someone's home, and have outlined your jumping off points below.

1. Invites. Figure out how many people you are inviting/expecting (determine invite list by getting labels or spreadsheet from the office, etc).

2. Theme. What do you want the atmosphere of the party to be like? Do you want a spring tea in the garden type feeling or a snazzy south of the border sensation?

3. Food. Plan your food around your theme and time of dayor year. Are you doing all of the food or are the people who are currently involved participating in the bringing of food? Always easy: water and punch, soda, or virgin drinks, veggie platters, cheese and crackers or bread and a cake or cookies. You can get a lot of this at Costco and conserve financial resources.

4. Decorations. There are a lot of inexpensive ways to make your party feel and look the way you intended. Once you pick a theme email me and we can work on this.

LD
Old 05-14-2003, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

How we decorated is we had all the members bring as much A - Phi stuff as possible. (Lord did we have a lot) Pictures, teddy bears, t-shirts, merchandise. Then we decorated the walls with all the pics and the t-shrits and we had like two tables of teddy bears. We all sat on the floor in a circle munched on food and talked about how great it was to be in this fraternity. Then we kinda broke off and talked to the girls individually. It was kinda informal but the ladies had a lot of fun.

Hope that helps some!!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

opps!

Oh!! LOL! I thought you meant collegiate chapter! Having an open house for the alum group is a wonderful idea.

Think adult - not too cute not too over the top. Adults come to alum groups for different experiences not to repeat their collegiate chapter experience so its important you stick to something that is inviting but welcoming to a wide range of ages and interests.

I would have a calendar of events, outline of dues and what they cover, have the alum group officers be prepared to work the room and rush everyone there.

I would also contact the EO and get a new zip code list of everyone in your area. Maybe you have some new grads who just moved to town!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

oops...my bad...I thought you were talking about a collegiate open house too. I guess I need to learn how to read.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:18 PM
cutiepatootie

thank you! thank you!

Thank you all for all your help. I am sitting down this weekend and starting to plan. i needed to get these finals out of the way inorder to concentrate on this. Keep them coming i am wiritng them all down!

Laura
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

big bad **BUMP**!

...just wanted you to know that I got your recruiting letter through the "family e-mail". It's great! If I were in SoCal I'd be there!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Laura,

If you send me your email I will try to make it and recruit some Beta Delta alumnae who live in the area.

LD
Old 06-10-2003, 04:46 AM
cutiepatootie

thanks soooooo much!

CA in CA: first off that letter was written and re written and re written during finals week and finally i said to our chapter president, "heck your a editor work some magic i dont have any more words! hahahaha just a tad bit stressed that week. lol

But thank you though! i really wanted to make sure it was done right for open house. Were finally getting responses since it is getting closer!

Lauradav: i sent you my email via PM and would love beta delta alums.....MORE THE MERRIER!

Laura
Old 06-19-2003, 11:43 PM
cutiepatootie

open house anxiety!

I am having open house anxiety for Sunday! i don't think this will come off good and i don't think i have planned likei should. I am stressing out something fierce right about now! This is very informal and low key and maybe i should of done more!

Not to mention my 3 yr old goes into surgery 6 am monday morning!

laura
Old 06-20-2003, 04:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Laura,

I am sure everything is going to be great! I have your email in my inbox and am planning on calling some friends tomorrow to see if they want to go with me. I am not *absolutely* sure I will be able to get off of work and go, but I will try.

I am so sorry to hear about your little one. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care & hope to meet you in person on Monday!

Laura
Old 06-20-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Relax! I love parties and would come if I weren't in NorCal. Besides, some of my favorite alumnae gatherings are the small ones where you can really spend some quality time with a sister you wouldn't have otherwise spoken much to.

Besides, it's an Alpha Phi party--how could it not be great?!!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:47 PM
cutiepatootie

Quote:
Originally posted by lauradav
Laura,

I am sure everything is going to be great! I have your email in my inbox and am planning on calling some friends tomorrow to see if they want to go with me. I am not *absolutely* sure I will be able to get off of work and go, but I will try.

I am so sorry to hear about your little one. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care & hope to meet you in person on Monday!

Laura
It is sunday. i just wanted to make sure you don't come a day late

Laura